A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:they went crazy and upped the number to 10... but if it were still 5 it'd still get the nomination I bet.

I didn't think about that. A nomination might be a possibility. It has been a bit of a dry year. I think I'll revise my statement. If Avatar gets a nomination over Up, I will eat my own face.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 pm

http://io9.com/5439885/deleted-avatar-sex-scene-opens-up-some-serious-bestiality-issues

the url says it all :devil:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:31 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:http://io9.com/5439885/deleted-avatar-sex-scene-opens-up-some-serious-bestiality-issues

the url says it all :devil:

oh god...furries will go absolutely apeshit over this in many ways

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Xard wrote:oh god...furries...

Do they really count as furries?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:11 pm

I think furries is just a catchall term for anything sexual involving beings that could be considered humanlike but aren’t really human.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:

What are these "they" you are talking about?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Xard wrote:
Joseph the PRPD wrote:

Whatever that blue species in Avatar is called.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:49 am

They aren't furries by technicality. They have no fur.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:50 am

maybe this a new subgenre

"scaleys"
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:53 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
Xard wrote:
Joseph the PRPD wrote:

Whatever that blue species in Avatar is called.

Na'vi
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:03 am

Less of the multi-nested quoting please.

And no matter what the critter's integument, the people who get off on the anthropomorphization are furries.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:02 am

Should I break out the charts?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Regarding the furry issue. Amongst a bunch of people who get the hots for 14 year old animated girls then I'm def a furry for Neytiri.

Loved AVATAR.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Regarding the furry issue. Amongst a bunch of people who get the hots for 14 year old animated girls then I'm def a furry for Neytiri.

I don't think that thinking Neytiri is sexy makes you a furry, if that's the case, then both James Cameron and Zoe Saldana are furries too, because they both have stated publicly that they think the character is sexy.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:05 pm

C+
**---

So.... what was the big deal about this movie?

I heard in advance that the plot was rather simplistic. But I had at least thought Cameron would have explored more character development throughout the film's nearly 3 hour duration. You almost expect that in a movie so long. But they shoved the main character in the Avatar plug within the first 10-20 minutes without even establishing much of a connection with him.

The plot progressed in a very predictable fashion. And also in a shallow one. The whole "deforestation plot" was kinda old a long time ago, and still wasn't all that good. And most of the events plot oriented could be figured out out 20 minutes before it actually happened. I would say the same for character development, but there really wasn't anything going on character-wise.

Honestly, I'm trying to comment on the story. But the more I do, the more it kinda falls apart on me. Maybe it was because James Cameron was only playing it safe with a nervously HUGE budget, or maybe because he was afraid that the audience would get so distracted by the visuals, that they would be hard pressed to follow more complicated story. But seriously, the movie didn't have to be THAT simplistic.

The entire film seems to be an over-blown, and expensive version of FernGully: The Last Rainforest. Seriously, did you see that budget? And much of it seemed unnecessary. The Na'vi could have been executed with a simple prosthetic down the nose, fake ears, some gloves and blue make-up/body suit. The tail could be a CGI element. But that would be all. The fact that the arms and legs were simply a couple inches longer proportionally really didn't justify spending thousands or even millions on the CGI. And none of the "look! it glows!" touches on the environment never really help explain the natural laws of the world in which they lived. And for a movie about saving the workings of the mystical, physicality rain forest, that's a bad thing.

Now, don't get me wrong. I liked the general look of the film. I'm probably gonna re-watch that movie in the I-Max. (I only saw it at a common cinema so far.) The entire look of the film invoked a sense of a hyper-spiritual rain forest in the peak of spring, when colorful secondary sexual traits of tropical animals are at it's brightest. It was simply beautiful. And the sequence where the main character learned how to fly the native pterodactyls was simply breathtaking. But at the same time, it was the only meaningful 3-D experience in the film.

And you know it's bad when you start wishing that the film was more about the main villain, who you just saw enter a robot and jump out of a burning plane JUST BEFORE IT CRASHED TO THE GROUND!!!

Yeah... that was a cool character.... I mean- um... yeah. Poor forest.

And when the films closed out, I still didn't have a connection with the main character. But that villain was darn cool, wasn't he?

And can anyone explain to me how the Na'vi seem to have an extremity formal ritual for transplanting a human soul/whatever into the foreign Na'vi clone body when the native Na'vi never did that before, or even know about clone bodies. I mean, I can see them giving Grace to an all powerful tree and waiting to see what happens. But the ritual seemed very planned for a spur-of-the-moment, "we've never done THIS before" event.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:41 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:formal ritual for transplanting a human soul/whatever

It was a shamanistic mediation ritual, not a "transplanting a human soul/whatever" ritual. It's explicit that the Na'vi didn't know what to do beyond communication with Hometree.

As far as Pocahontas, we'll know if it's the same story when Avatar 2 has Neytiri kidnapped, eventually shipped to Earth, then to die upon her return to Pandora. Do Not Want.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:05 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:And much of it seemed unnecessary. The Na'vi could have been executed with a simple prosthetic down the nose, fake ears, some gloves and blue make-up/body suit. The tail could be a CGI element. But that would be all. The fact that the arms and legs were simply a couple inches longer proportionally really didn't justify spending thousands or even millions on the CGI.

I think the point was more to see if they could pull off the CGI, rather than finding the best way to make the graphics work.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Film and Video”