Playstation also Turns 10

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

[Video Games] Playstation also Turns 10

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:34 pm

I didnt think about this until today.

The sony playstation has also turned 10 years old.

On 29th September, 2005 PlayStation celebrated a decade of keeping tens of millions of people across Europe thoroughly entertained. And what better way to commemorate this occasion than by heralding the arrival of a new addition to the family?

PSP (PlayStation Portable) launched to a rapturous reception at the very start of the same month, and ushered in a new era of portable entertainment. Thanks to its unique UMD storage format and a wealth of connectivity options, people were now able to enjoy PS2-quality games, watch feature-length movies and music videos, and browse through their digital photo collections in any place, at any time.

he release of PSP was bolstered by an extremely strong line-up of impressive games, such as Ridge Racer, WipEout Pure, and Everybody's Golf, and dozens of UMD Video and Music titles, with plenty more set to arrive in the coming weeks and months.

On the home system front, the successor to PlayStation 2 was officially announced at a joint SCEA and SCEI conference at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, LA on 16th May. PLAYSTATION 3 was unveiled to a stunned audience of press, developers and other important industry figures, accompanied by staggering technical specifications and a showreel of jaw-dropping technical demos and upcoming games, all presented on a huge high-definition screen.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

The Sandman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Sandman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:00 am

I still got the old, grey, PSOne. Thank you Playstation.
Exit light/Enter night/Take my hand/We off to Never Neverland

Enter Sandman

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:10 pm

I kept my PS one! I remember the day I got it, too. Changed my life FOREVER.

I was...what, it came out in 95? I got in 97, then. I was 7 years old and my dad took me to babbages(now gamestop) with my grandparents (I was only alloud visitation rights if another adult was there). My dad was a sleaze and bought me the PS1 right off the bat. My first game? FROGGER. YES. I remember, the box must've been as big as me...

Never been the same since. I still have my PS1, though I took it apart and put it back together (my old PS2 stopped playing PS1 games, and I needed it to for my FF).

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:08 pm

The Sandman wrote:I still got the old, grey, PSOne. Thank you Playstation.

I still have the big grey block of slow processing PS.
But I also have my hands on my cousin's PSOne for it's faster processing and reading though.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:21 am

I've still got my ol' PSX. One of the early ones that still had Gameshark ports and the old grey blocky menus.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

wrack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wrack » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:23 pm

Pfffff. Super Mario turned twenty. Just thought it needed to be mentioned.

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:04 pm

Space Penis wrote:I've still got my ol' PSX. One of the early ones that still had Gameshark ports and the old grey blocky menus.

Um...
PSX came out in Japan in '04.
Unless you're talking about the PS, not the PS1.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:43 pm

God, nice way to feel old. I remember when the Playstation came out... I was strill trying to get FF6 at that time for the SNES.

Actually, if I remember correctly... The PlayStation was originally going to be compatible with SNES games. It would have a cartridge port. Infact...

In June of 1991, at the Chicago CES (Consumer Electronics Show), Sony officially announced the Play Station (space intentional). The Play Station would have a port to play Super Nintendo cartridges, as well as a CD-ROM drive that would play Sony Super Discs.
(IGN Article)

Infact, I heard some of those prototypes made it into production.

The first Play Station never made it out of the factories. Apparently, about 200 were produced, and some software even made it to development. For whatever reason, whether it was because of the tough licensing deal with Nintendo, or the predicted passing of masked ROM (cartridge-based) technology, Sony scrapped its prototype.
{IGN Article)

So yeah... Nintendo was working with Sony on the Play Station but everything fell apart. But imagine that, playing SNES cartridges on the Play Station... God that'd be awesome.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”