Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 am

This seems to be less of a "best" and more of a "most popular" anime list.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:30 am

I'm gonna rage if moeblob shows are in the top 20, which it will.

If Kon is in the top 10, I'm gonna kill myself.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:35 am

21) Code Geass

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:43 am

BrikHaus wrote:This seems to be less of a "best" and more of a "most popular" anime list.

Has to be. If I were them, I'd place Monster at #1. Nothing less would do.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 am

Monster is only number 26? WTF!

Guyver Spawn
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 am

Code Geass that high? Is it that good?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:10 am

I'm slightly disappointed Darker Than BLACK didn't get any higher; I loved the first season. But I haven't seen the second season, so I suppose that might have brought it down, maybe.
- Sachi

I host the unofficial EGF discord server. Join us! https://discord.gg/WqS7wRW
I also host another more general discord server for film and anime fans: https://discord.gg/wWYPwjb

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:13 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:Code Geass that high? Is it that good?

Season 1 maybe, but season 2? Hell no!

LeoXiao
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:25 am

Code Geass better than Monster? Monster not at #1? WTF?
Zwischen GEHIRN und NERV muss die SEELE sein!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:59 am

Season 1 maybe, but season 2? Hell no!

Season one was only slightly less contrived then 2, though granted imo geass is better then naruto, but something that contrived doesnt deserve that place.

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:04 am

Tokpile Quohog wrote:25) Dennou Coil
21) Code Geass

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 am

UrsusArctos wrote:http://www.japanator.com/japanator-s-top-50-anime-of-the-decade-30-to-21-12885.phtml

Rebuild is at number 23.

Monster at 26? Sacrilege! Sacrilege!

This is not simply an update of Neon Genesis Evangelion. The Rebuild of Evangelion project has taken the original Evangelion concept and played with it a lot. The story has been morphed, new characters introduced, and something sinister lies beneath the surface. While we won't know the scope in its entirety until the last two movies premiere in Japan, this has proved to be something different from the original TV anime.

For longtime fans of the series, the Rebuild project brought the show into beautiful HD, smartly used CG, and utterly subverted your knowledge of Evangelion. When I first watched the film, there were points where my jaw went slack and I couldn't believe what happened.

For those who have never watched Evangelion, this is an interesting way to hook in new viewers, as the films are totally approachable. Somehow, Gainax has managed to make one of the most important shows of the last decade relevant once again.

I'm really surprised how enthusiastic RoE's reception has been among people who've never seen original (as few as they are) for starters. "Casual" fans & nonfans have also embraced films, especially 2.0 has been getting pretty much only raving reviews etc. so I'm not so surprised RoE is here...

Funnily enough it's among us hardcore fans where most butthurt is happening. Not that I mind it, I think it's pretty hilarious Anno managed at the same time make one half of fanbase cum and troll other like there's no tomorrow (to slightly exaggarate). ^_^

Anyway...

26) Monster
21) Code Geass

honestly, they better be trolling...
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Defectron wrote:Season one was only slightly less contrived then 2

This is like saying and ice cube is slightly smaller then an Iceberg. The difference between season 1 and 2 is massive! Season 1 knew just how far to push things without totally falling on its face. Season 2 on the other hand was a massive failure on all fronts from start to finish. Its like once they got the go ahead for a second season, they just decide to not even try anymore, and just tossed in as much random junk as they could possibly think up with no regard to how it might effect the show.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:13 pm

This is like saying and ice cube is slightly smaller then an Iceberg. The difference between season 1 and 2 is massive!

Season 1 still made all the same mistakes as 2, just in much smaller portions. The best example being how people kept coming back to life, they still pulled all sorts of contrived ways of bringing people back to life in some rediculous way, the best example being Mao. The only difference is here its halfway plausible where in season 2 this happened about twice as much and we even saw Guilford come back after being vaporized. The plot twists were also still kinda rediculous such as Velitta going from some hardassed soldier to a moe housewife. Ironically it was easier to buy with CC since when it happened to her she regressed to being a kid mentally so that would actually be expected.

Anyway the fact that bleach, one piece and especially Inuyasha havent shown up yet is either a good thing or a very bad thing. We'll have to wait and see.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:13 pm

http://www.japanator.com/japanator-s-to ... 2898.phtml

20 - Lucky star
19 - Gankutsuou
18 - Full Metal Alchemist (2003)
17 - Toradora
16 - Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei
15 - School Rumble
14 - Gunslinger Girl
13 - Kimi ni Todoke
12 - Nodame Cantablie
11 - Genshiken

--------------------

19 - Gankutsuou
17 - Toradora
13 - Kimi ni Todoke

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Guyver Spawn
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:17 pm

Hard to believe Naruto is like #44 or so on the list.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:23 pm

20 - Lucky star

:rei_meh:

12 - Nodame Cantablie

yet another reason to watch Cantablie

Okay, Top Ten guesses?

Mine:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Welcome to the NHK
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Haibane Renmei
Spirited Away
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:33 pm

Nodame should be top 5. If they're going to praise Nodame for being one of the best josei anime, Honey and Clover must be in the top ten (though given how off this list is, I won't hold my breath). I think Xard's choices are good ones. I'd throw Kanon or CLannad AS in there based on the love Key and Kyoani get. GTO and Kino's Journey could be there. Haruhi has to be number one. I can't think of any anime this decade that has had such an impact.
Last edited by ZapX on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:41 pm

I'd personally love to see Macross Frontier in there but I know that's not going to happen... ;_;

(it's not my fault these guys rank Code Gayass over Monster... who can except taste from them? :tongue: )

ZapX wrote:I'd throw Kanon in there based on the love Key and Kyoani get.

Yeah, Air or Kanon and Haruhi. Or K-On! and Haruhi (lol), I don't think they'd dare to put more than two Kyonani animus there... right? :think:

ZapX wrote:Haruhi has to be number one. I can't think of any anime this decade that has had such an impact.

or thay be trollin' and put K-ON! has number one :smirk:

Hard to say if there has really been any very influential anime in this decade: certainly nothing on level of Yamato & Gundam (70s), Macross and Minky Momo and Urusei Yatsura (80s) and - of course - Neon Genesis Evangelion (90s) in terms of impact

Whatever show started the moefest of these last few years counts. If that was Haruhi then yeah, it's propably most influential one

edit:

HA! One more (obvious) guess:

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex will be there

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:48 pm

19 - Gankutsuou
17 - Toradora
13 - Kimi ni Todoke

Hey now gankutsuo and toradora are still better then Geass so it could be worse, never saw that other one though.

Hard to say if there has really been any very influential anime in this decade: certainly nothing on level of Yamato & Gundam (70s), Macross and Minky Momo and Urusei Yatsura (80s) and - of course - Neon Genesis Evangelion (90s) in terms of impact

Whatever show started the moefest of these last few years counts. If that was Haruhi then yeah, it's propably most influential one

Actually one of the true culprets behind the moefest is staring you right in the face, the prototypes for a lot of the common moe character types first showe dup in eva. The other culpret is Azumanga daioh as many of the remaining prototypes first appeared there. It's ironic how something so bad can come from something so good, but its not the first time this has happened. Urusei Yatsura which was damned good was a prototype for harem animes, most of which were damned bad!

Return to “Anime and Manga”