LAEM similarities in Avatar

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

darthikari
Adam

LAEM similarities in Avatar

Postby darthikari » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:01 am

Just saw Avatar yesterday, and while the story was nothing to write home about, there were a couple of Eva-like elements. The bio-mechanics of the avatar program, complete with entry plugs. The powered armors use progressive knives. I almost LOLed when the "baddest banshee in the sky", which just happened to be in unit02's colors of red, yellow and black with four green eyes, grabbed a VTOL fighter and smashed it into another in the climactic battle. Even more, than a coincidence, weta did the effects.
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:46 am

Gonna see Avatar (you had a typo) today or tomorrow. I'll look out for what you pointed out...

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:50 am

ah, I wonder if WETA got some of their ideas in...

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:01 pm

"This is Unit 01" is the line that made me laugh. My friends and I all loved the movie but agree it needs more Eva.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: LAEM similarities in Avatar

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

darthikari wrote:The bio-mechanics of the avatar program, complete with entry plugs.

This was more like The Matrix combined with an MRI than anything else.

darthikari wrote:The powered armors use progressive knives.

I don't recall the knives vibrating at any point.

darthikari wrote:I almost LOLed when the "baddest banshee in the sky", which just happened to be in unit02's colors of red, yellow and black with four green eyes, grabbed a VTOL fighter and smashed it into another in the climactic battle.

They're not really VTOLs, they're still Helicopters.

darthikari wrote:Even more, than a coincidence, weta did the effects.

You would be surprised by how many things WETA has done effects for.

Considering the age of the original scriptment (1994), I really don't think there are any direct pulls from Eva.

I know Cameron is interested in some anime/manga, particularly Battle Angel, but I don't think Evangelion was an influence on this film at all.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Considering the age of the original scriptment (1994), I really don't think there are any direct pulls from Eva.

I know Cameron is interested in some anime/manga, particularly Battle Angel, but I don't think Evangelion was an influence on this film at all.

That would be INITIAL script: it sure has had changes etc. through the years. Also, WETA makes me suspicious

if I go to see Avatar it is this thread's fault :lol:

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:"This is Unit 01" is the line that made me laugh.

That's the first thing that popped into my head when it was mentioned. I was like, "Did she just say what I think she said?!?"
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Xard wrote:That would be INITIAL script: it sure has had changes etc. through the years.

If you're interested, you can read the original scriptment, it's been on the internet for ages:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/14294813/Avatar-Scriptment-by--James-Cameron

Also, CHUD has a nice breakdown.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21969/1/PROJECT-880-THE-AVATAR-THAT-ALMOST-WAS/Page1.html

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:47 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

He also has the rights to Mazinger Z too (which is a series created by Go Nagai). After seeing Avatar, I think James Cameron would be perfect for a NGE movie. I'm not sure if he is a fan of the series, but seeing he likes Battle Angel then the chances are possible.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Quiddity
Lilith

Postby Quiddity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if James Cameron has never seen Evangelion.

Everything out there doesn't have Eva influences, sorry. Particularly considering Eva has so many themes, characters and plot elements influenced from other things.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:22 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if James Cameron has never seen Evangelion.

If he has then I'm pretty sure he might like it.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote: He also has the rights to Mazinger Z
Cameron doing a Western LA adaptation of Mazinger Z could be pretty awesome. I'm pretty ambivalent about his style, but he sure knows how to use big-budget effects to create that epic feel a lot better than Mich—er—that other guy that did the live-action flicks with the robots.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm not sure if he has still have the rights to it though since he got the rights to it back in 1999 or 2000. I think after seeing the visuals in Avatar, I think a live action NGE has a good chance on working. I still think a live action NGE movie back in 2003-2006 still have won't have the budget to pull it off in my opinon.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 pm

I don't think Eva in particular was an influence, though Cameron is known to be a fan. The whole mecha element was certainly inspired by Japanimation, and I did think while watching the inverse-Aliens fight "This is probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing a live action Evangelion fight. Cherish it."

Actually, I thought Cameron would be the perfect director for LAEM until I saw Avatar. The action and such were great, but it's ridiculously shallow. I'm not sure how well Cameron could handle the complexities and psychological elements at this point. I'm not outright saying he couldn't, but I'm uncertain whereas once I was confident.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 pm

James Cameron did a great job on telling the story in Terminator 1-2, and Titanic. I don't Avatar was meant to be a deep story as most people thought it was going to be. Also James Cameron does not have to write the screenplay for LAEM though.

darthikari
Adam

Postby darthikari » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 pm

sorry 'bout the typo. Just one more thing, I had to chuckle that the hero's Na'vi girlfriend's name for him was idiot...
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:51 pm

NAveryW wrote:Actually, I thought Cameron would be the perfect director for LAEM until I saw Avatar. The action and such were great, but it's ridiculously shallow. I'm not sure how well Cameron could handle the complexities and psychological elements at this point. I'm not outright saying he couldn't, but I'm uncertain whereas once I was confident.

True, Cameron is more about pushing the envelope, rather than the core concept. But I think a movie adaptation would be pushing the envelope considerably. Also, has been said:

Guyver Spawn wrote:James Cameron does not have to write the screenplay for LAEM.

I think he's a great choice, just not the best.

Pcnerdjack14
Adam

Postby Pcnerdjack14 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm not quite sure if Cameron would do a good job with Evangelion, but for when I saw it, I thought it had more of "how to do effects for a Eva movie" stuff (EX: those human controlled robots) then actual thematic elements of Eva. But yeah, the whole "psychologically controlled bodies" aspect of the Avatars made me think Eva.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 pm

NAveryW wrote: I'm not sure how well Cameron could handle the complexities and psychological elements at this point.
Even if he has the ability to “properly” :lol: portray it in LA, I don’t think he’d be willing to take the risk required for the inevitably insane shit going on with Instrumentality/mindrape parts at the end. Then again I suppose they could just have Dr. Manhattan be the bad buy & solve the whole problem that way.

If anything, he’d make badass fights & action scenes. There just happens to be a lot more to NGE than that. Maybe he could direct all the fights with the angels and somehow get Lynch onboard handle the rest.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:30 pm

James Cameron in my opinon is a great story teller, and knows how to make a great movie. Unlike Bay or Uwe Boll, who try to pull off good story telling but fail badly. I think the only issue with James directing Evangelion is the ways on how he will change the story. The movie will likely take place in New York City (Who dons't like to see New York getting destory) or LA. And changes on the characters also.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”