EoE last scene

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
konfunoodle
Lilith

EoE last scene

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:10 pm

I know this topic has been brought up countless times, but...
The whole scene in general has so much too say. First off we see Shinji choking Asuka at the end, where as in the beginning he jerked off to her.
But what Asuka does is totally not something Asuka would do or say. She caresses his face and later calmly says "How disgusting." it reminds me of what Rie would say. She may look like Asuka but maybe she's some what different?
I'm ranting on, so feel free to do so as well. :3
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Yes, Asuka is different. She got her own ride in the 'human' god that we didn't get to see, where she presumably had to deal with all of her flaws, same as Shinji did.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:33 pm

later calmly says "How disgusting."

Supposed to be in the "coldest voice possible" but same thing I guess. :P

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:33 pm

You're probably talking about the Misato/Rei/Asuka theory, which is the belief that the "Asuka" in the last scene is actually the combined persons of Misato, Rei and Asuka. Unfortunately, I'm failing to find any threads on this because BoardTracker fails. I know they're here somewhere.
Last edited by Ironfoot on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Asuka was part of instrumentality proper, thus she wasn't in a position to actually have an experiences at all. She came out psychologically the same way she went in, if not worse for having died.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: EoE last scene

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:52 pm

So this thread is discussing Asuka's side of the EoE ending?
konfunoodle wrote:calmly says "How disgusting."

That didn't sound calm to me. Especially with the look she gave Shinji right before she said that.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

konfunoodle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:So this thread is discussing Asuka's side of the EoE ending?
konfunoodle wrote:calmly says "How disgusting."

That didn't sound calm to me. Especially with the look she gave Shinji right before she said that.

well she's not yelling at him and ending it with "baka" like she usually would

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:00 pm

konfunoodle wrote:well she's not yelling at him and ending it with "baka" like she usually would

She pretty much stopped saying that altogether after her mindfuck with Areal. So there's nothing unusual about it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:03 pm

konfunoodle wrote:well she's not yelling at him and ending it with "baka" like she usually would

Y'think anyone would act like their usual selves after what they've been through?
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

konfunoodle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:

Y'think anyone would act like their usual selves with what they've been through?

word. I just feel that there is more to it than when i first watched it. that is how Anno ended the Evangelion chapter before plans for Rebuild were being thought up

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Her very soul was raped by the enemy, and she became unable to pilot. She then attempted suicide, failed, went into a coma, got wanked over, then she got eaten by Harpies, then her soul was raped again and shoved into the holes of every human on the entire fucking planet like a slutty jigsaw piece. Then she wakes up and as far as she knows, Shinji, of all people, is the only person that's apparently alive in a wrecked, ruined world with nothing notable but a menstrual ocean and a giant Rei face.

I'm surprised she came out as well as she did.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:42 pm

...only because ~Fin cut off the scene before she began screaming and never stopped.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Some previous threads discussing this topic:

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=66
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=96
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1457
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3311
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=7776

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:31 pm

NemZ wrote:...only because ~Fin cut off the scene before she began screaming and never stopped.

Or she jumped Shinji bones and fucked him for what it's worth, after all surviving an apocalypse is the best aphrodisiac there is.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

J_Faulkner
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby J_Faulkner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:37 pm

The answer is simple: both Shinji and Asuka confronted their innermost thoughts during Instrumentality (this is incredibly obvious from eps 25 and 26) and realized how fake and pathetic their lives are. At the end of EoE, both of them were stunned at the ugliness lying within themselves, which prompted Asuka to acknowledge what a despicable creature she really was at heart, and will continue to be unless she changes.
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.
Try my reins and my heart.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:54 pm

J_Faulkner wrote:The answer is simple: both Shinji and Asuka confronted their innermost thoughts during Instrumentality (this is incredibly obvious from eps 25 and 26) and realized how fake and pathetic their lives are. At the end of EoE, both of them were stunned at the ugliness lying within themselves, which prompted Asuka to acknowledge what a despicable creature she really was at heart, and will continue to be unless she changes.

Are you saying that "How disgusting" was a reference to herself, and not to either the situation in general or to Shinji?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:03 pm

It may have very well been all three. :shrug:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

J_Faulkner
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby J_Faulkner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Are you saying that "How disgusting" was a reference to herself, and not to either the situation in general or to Shinji?

What situation are you referring to?

Why would she be referring to Shinji while caressing him?
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.
Try my reins and my heart.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:26 pm

:gasp: :jawdrop: Do my eyes deceive me, or has J Faulkner actually descended on the EvaGeeks forum? God have mercy on us all... :chair:

Also: +1 to what Aurora said. I've never been sure if the connection was intentional (probably not since Anno changed the line in the studio) but there's some sweet synchronicity in the fact that the first words uttered when we first see a character enter LCL is the first we hear after exiting the giant LCL pool.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:00 pm

People are entitled to join the and take part in the debates here as long as things are kept civil. From both ends.

Getting back to the topic—My own feeling is that Asuka's line and indeed the entire final scene can only be understood, if it can be understood at all, by evaluating the Shinji/Asuka relationship over the course of the entire series. The motivations of the characters are opaque here and I don't believe a simple explanation will suffice for just about anything said or done here.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”