[LAEM] Can it work?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Slade
Embryo

Postby Slade » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:10 pm

OH yeah, Im definately going to see the live action movie. If such an attrocity accurs. Just to see if it has any plot or characterization at all. If it does happen and the stay true to the source material (highly unlikly) then Im predicting that its proabably gonna be a flop because mainstream audiences wont be able to wrap there tiny little brains around the story. 8)
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:44 pm

Hey guys !!!

In some other forum i found this hilarious resume of a possible Evangelion Movie, it's filled with hollywood cliches and other funny stuff:
Check it out here:
[url]http://www.med.ufro.cl/tecmed/cachureos/claudio/eva_movie.txt[/url]

That would be a crappy movie !!!

All the credits to the creator of that magnificent masterpiece !!!, (whoever he is).
*insert cool signature here*

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TheMessiah » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:13 am

First off, there are 26 TV episodes and two movies in the Eva library (not to mention the as yet unfinished manga series by co-creator Sadamoto). The first goal is to produce a movie that encapsulates the most important elements of the early part of the series so that the viewer will not have to have seen the aforementioned 15 or so hours of video, and still leave room for one or two (maybe more?) follow up films that can finish off the story.

im almost claiming this official, its gonna suck. and the messiah had such hopes cuz Anno was part of the project
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:01 pm

My only real reason for wanting this movie out is that hopfuly it'll make anno want to write another series.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Quiddity
Lilith

Postby Quiddity » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:19 pm

DatDude wrote:My only real reason for wanting this movie out is that hopfuly it'll make anno want to write another series.

What, more Eva? If anything, it'll discourage him even more, any shabbily written or produced Eva adaption will convince not only us but him how sacred the TV series and movies were and that no more officially done Eva anime should ever be produced. If it convinces him to work on a non-Eva related anime though, I'm all for it.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

secondson
Embryo

Postby secondson » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:02 pm

A fairly old thread, but whatever. Can it work? Probably. Will we approve of the finished product? At this rate, probably not. If they pull their heads out and not 'tweak' it in order to suit western tastes, I think it'll be a good film.

In all honesty, I'm overjoyed to hear about the live action film because it opens the doors for the show-to-screen translation of other series. Hopefully, more and more feasible films (i.e., something like, oh say, Trigun, just off the top of my head) will come out of this ordeal.

As not to say Trigun is more deserving than Eva of translation to the live action film medium, or any more deserving than any other series out there. It's just, well, as a story, Trigun is a little more western-safe than Eva - set in the much more western-friendly setting, with a very Americanised cast and storyline, which would be digested much easier by American audiences than Eva, in particular, which was born with a decidedly Japanese sensibility and style, something that the average western filmgoer is not accustomed to...

Uh, yeah.
All right, when I say your name, you say here. And we will assume here is short for Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:11 pm

The question: can it work? The answer: the most definite yes I could ever afford. There's a right way to do anything. You could be making a movie about a robot driving instructor who goes back in time for some reason, and whose best friend is a talking pie, and there is a possibility that it could be an instant classic cherished by all.

Now, as for how a mainstream audience views it from its initial impression, (I assume mainstrean meaning Western), the film coming across as a Mech film could have unpredictable results. On the one hand, such a thing might seem like a cliché, despite the fact that I can't think of such a movie ever being made on this scale. This very fact of rarity, despite the concept beinng familiar, might also pique interest. The question is would it be so bad if people perceive this as just a big robot movie? ; if you ask a fan, the answer will probably be "yes," but if you ask someone else... what is the answer. Personally, I didn't get into Evangelion because of the Evas. In fact, when I first learned about the series, the thing that drew me in was the promise of a convoluted story and occult symbolism, not to mention characters I might become attached to.

I think a thing that an Eva movie is going to have going for it no matter what is the fact that the anime on which it is based has, for a long time, been dubbed one of the most controvercial anime series of all time. When someone who is totally uninitiated is introduced to the very concept of Evangelion, they will know, by this statement, that they should expect more than meets the eye. Imagine some movie magazine runs an article on the production of the film, even a brief mention. You can almost be certain that they are going to label Evangelion as "one of" or "THE most controvercial animated series ever". Eventually, everyone is going to know this, possibly even before they see the first trailer. What the result of the film being seen as a robot movie will be really depends on whether or not that perception of the story will even have a chance to surface in the mainsteam. Evangelion has a reputation which precedes its Evas, and the mainstram audience might not even be fooled by something intentionally designed to look like an ordinary mech movie.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:32 pm

True, it could work if it was done right, but you have to think of it this way:

The average american person does not know what Evangelion is, this will decrease the budget for the movie unless the screenplay is strong. You also have to look at the style, the average american movie goer enjoys action, less of a deep meaning, if you want the Evangelion style to stay, it's going to earn less money. So, it will then have a smaller budget.

This small budget could be good or bad, it would force to have more character scenes and less mecha battles, but at the same time you could also produce a really bad movie, like Dat Dude said:
My gut tells me this is not going to work

But, I'm praying, maybe Anno will come through!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:30 pm

The average American this; the average American that. The average American also likes big, greasy cheeseburgers and endless rosters of pointless and stupid reality shows. The average American is the cause of the average American, and some aspects are in need of a cure. And as for not knowing what Evangelion is, the solution is simpler than one would think: tell them. Even if they don't care about something, in America, they'll hear about it. Suppose an actor of even medium stature should become involved with the project. If they mention the film on Entertainment Tonight, you can bet, without any doubt, that when they mention Evangelion, to a public that doesn't know or care, mind you, it will be noted in at least one word that it was, in its past, controversial. That alone, I think, is enough to perk up the ears of anyone who happens to be listening. When someone uses the word "controversy" in America, people step up and take a look. Not all people, but some, and definitely more than if someone just said "Japanese show". I'm fairly confident that if the film gets any pre-trailer notoriety, the anime's reputation will be noted, because even if you're going to spend ten seconds mentioning the film, inserting a context of controversy just makes for a better news segment.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Fainne Roisin
Embryo

Postby Fainne Roisin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:17 pm

Well, they know all the fans of the series are going to see it whether they bastardize it or not, so all they really need to worry about (on the money making end) is marketing it to the general population. I think there's no way they can win in this situation because they are having to try to appease everyone. Personally, I won't mind them bastardizing the first one if it means they'll get enough money to get to the live action "End of Evangelion". That's assuming they are going to try to make it a trilogy.

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:56 pm

If I could just direct the damn thing, yeah, I could make it work.

But seriously, there's only one director alive that I think could make this film work decently. That director is Peter Jackson. Alfonso Cuaron could do a good job too, he works well with movies involving teen angst. But I doubt he'll be chosen.

There are two directors who are now dead whom would have made just plain awesome Evangelion movies. The first is Stanley Kubrick. The second is Kinji Fukasaku. Kubrick because he was Stanley Kubrick, Fukasaku because of his work on the film Fukkatsu no Hi (Virus), which is a very epic end of the world flick and of course his work on Battle Royale. Sadly, with the passing of both of them also passes the likelyhood of an Evangelion film being any good. If I could just use black magic to bring either of them back to life like in Fukasaku's own film Samurai Reincarnation.
Last edited by Winslow Leach on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:50 pm

Kubrick could not pull this off... at all. If living, he would turn out some incredibly boring overly artsie film. Yet I moderatelly loved The Shining. Kinji probably would have trouble w/ such a massive production as well. I will 100% agree w/ Peter Jackson, but there is also (doubtful, yet very able) James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan (Memento and Batman Begins - one of my directorial picks), and Ridley Scott. All able, just not willing/offered to take the job.

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:36 pm

rip3mwk wrote:Kubrick could not pull this off... at all. If living, he would turn out some incredibly boring overly artsie film.

People could call EoE that too, you know.

Kinji probably would have trouble w/ such a massive production as well.

No, he wouldn't have. Message From Space and Virus were two of the highest budgeted films in Japanese cinema history.

Phoenix Feet
Adam

Postby Phoenix Feet » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:04 pm

rip3mwk wrote:Kubrick could not pull this off... at all. If living, he would turn out some incredibly boring overly artsie film. Yet I moderatelly loved The Shining. Kinji probably would have trouble w/ such a massive production as well. I will 100% agree w/ Peter Jackson, but there is also (doubtful, yet very able) James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan (Memento and Batman Begins - one of my directorial picks), and Ridley Scott. All able, just not willing/offered to take the job.

If ADV wanted to make the sort of film that needs market appeal from a big name director, then yeah, any one of those guys would be great.

I don't think that any of those guys are more amazingly talented than many of the other lesser known directors out there. They've just been linked to successful productions and therefore have bankable names. Besides, the director alone isn't going to determine how the entire production is going to turn out. The producer is probably going to have a bigger influence than the director on this one.

So, do you think Matt Greenfield can pull it off?

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:39 pm

Well, I think that Greenie generally did an okay job with the series (at least for the main actors). As little as I would like to admit, Asuka's english language actress was quite convincing, especially in 22'.
In terms of live action filming, I have no idea what he has done thus far so... I really can't say.
I agree that there are many capable directors w/o names to back them up quite yet, but there are also terrible ones, and a much higher population of them. I am amazed by how many no name, not so great (understatement) directors get huge budget films!!! WTF, soo many could do better. Ex: Constantine was not horrible, but it deffinatelly was not good. Ahh, and then there are those bastardizing guys such as Roland Emerich and the idiot that did torque.
I just hope that some no-name, music video only directing person doesn't end up gets this opportune gig...

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”