The Evangelion Fan Geek Commentary: Translators Needed.

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

The Evangelion Fan Geek Commentary: Translators Needed.

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:43 pm

The Commentary Project. The jewel in our crown. The labour of our love. The apple in our eye....

The task left unfinished.

The Evangelion Fan Geek Commentary project was conceived and begun as the closest thing to a running commentary of of the entire series of Evangelion in web page form. Despite the initial impetus and drive, the project stalled some time ago. Committees were formed, inquiries held, and the great source of our setbacks has been firmly identified; Translation.

Key to the entire Commentary project are the individual episode "cuts" and their descriptions. These cuts, which are typically individual shots, are based off the actual production script pages, which was provided as an extra on the Evangelion Renewal DVD box set. The script pages break each episode into numbered cuts, each of which contains a description, dialogue, and sound effects. By adding an appropriate image and fan commentary to each of these, you get a fan geek commentary of the entire show.

But here's the catch, the script pages are in Japanese. Here's an example of one.

These pages need to be translated into English before they can be uploaded and commented upon. So far, translation has proved to be the single greatest bottleneck in the commentary creation process. Thus far, only four episodes, and the OP, have been completed, and the project has been stalled for some time. Our original translator, Reichu, while still enthusiastic, no longer has the time neccessary to devote to such a task.

So, we are in need of Japanese translators to help get the project moving again. And we're in need of as many as we can get! There's a lot of material to be translated. Each episode consists of about 70 script pages like the one above, with around 300 cuts in any given episode. And there are 24 episodes in total that need translating. Ideally, each episode would be translated by a single translator, dialogue, script text and all.

We don't expect a single person to translate every episode. Even one complete episode translation would be greatly appreciated.

Some requirements we'd like of translators:
Experience: Evangelion is a subtle and involved anime, with many scenes having hidden and double meanings, and it contains many scenes that are known to be difficult to translate. This is a project that needs quite experienced translators, familiar with Japanese phrases, mannerisms, etc. Some episodes are more difficult than others in this respect.
Notes:Related to the last point will be the need for any translators to provide additional notes or "translators commentary" for cuts that need it. Essentially, if there is something of note such as a peculiar figure of speech, double entendre, strange choice of words, etc, it's vital that these be included in the translation. It doesn't have to be done on every cut, but it will be an important addition in those cuts needing it.
Feedback:The Eva community is at times quite involved in its analysis. While we will attempt to keep them to a minimum, there will inevitably be questions and queries on the translation. Feedback on the translation will be greatly appreciated.
Time: The episode scripts will require quite a bit of translation, so we don't expect people to be especially prompt. As long as the translation does not drag on to the point where it holds up the project, we will be happy. We'd prefer a correct translation over a quick one.
Fan: Being a fan of the series is of course a huge bonus. Not vital, but it could help a lot with the process.

These are not essential qualities, just desirable ones. We're grateful for any translation aid and advice that can be provided, and hope to put it all to very good use in what we hope will become the most comprehensive presentation and discussion of Evangelion, or indeed any anime.

Any interested parties or those with queries can either post in this thread, or else send an email to obsessivemathsfreak at gmail.com . There is no obligation to buy.

In the coming days, notices like this will be posted on other sites in a determined effort to attract the translators we need. One way or the other, this project is getting moving again.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Amalgam
Embryo

Postby Amalgam » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 pm

What a coinkydink. I was this close to approaching Reichu or someone else about starting it back up, because this is one labor of love I'd like to get involved in.

Tequila
Embryo

Postby Tequila » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:34 am

Wow, a running commentary of the entire series..?

I'll be glad to provide my IB analytical skills to the cause, although I can't help you with the translations. Sorry.

How much has already been done?
Insert witty remark about the philosophy of the universe, evangelion quotes, something about whales etc.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 am

Tequila wrote:Wow, a running commentary of the entire series..?

I'll be glad to provide my IB analytical skills to the cause, although I can't help you with the translations. Sorry.

How much has already been done?

OMF wrote:Thus far, only four episodes, and the OP, have been completed

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Amalgam wrote:What a coinkydink. I was this close to approaching Reichu or someone else about starting it back up, because this is one labor of love I'd like to get involved in.

The project is being started back up. Translation is really the only issue right now. Hopefully we'll be able to attract some in good time. If not, we have contingency plans.

In addition, if anyone knows anything about the online translation scene, it would be great if you could post that information here. Anything would be greatly appreciated. This is new territory for us too.

Kanchan
Embryo

Postby Kanchan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm

71:

View from the scope (binoculars). The fighter jets disperses away from the angel like baby spiders (?).

72:

Misato who is watching from inside the car, in surprise drops the scope.

Mistao:"wait...are they going to use N2 boom booms?"

73:

stillness of mountains and hills.

74:

Misato presses down Shinji and takes cover. The car is devoured by intense light.

Misato: "take cover!!"

75:
Explosion near Angel's feet.
SE:no sound

76:
Enormous explosion; flashes up to the sky.

SE: Zugooooo

Are there compensations? Like happy endings down there...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 pm

Kanchan wrote:Are there compensations?

Well, we're an internet based group, so (outside of what goes on at cons and such) I'm not sure we'd be able to fulfill any such requests.

You would however have the eternal gratitude and awe of the community, as well as your name emblazoned in eternity on the commentary project website.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:59 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:You would however have the eternal gratitude and awe of the community, as well as your name emblazoned in eternity on the commentary project website.

Which means you'll get a half-hearted thanks from Reichu, and then your hard work will be completely forgotten.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Your work will most certainly not be forgotten! Translators will be getting full credit on every page their work appears. And Reichu will be as grateful as, if not more so than, everyone else. She knows just how difficult a task translation is.

We may not be in a position to throw a parade, but we will give credit and gratitude where it is due to all contributors to the project. Especially translators.

krijali
Embryo

Postby krijali » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 am

I'm down.

(I've never posted on the forum before though, just a long, long time reader/lurker really). I don't know how to prove my worthiness. I own three different versions of the series (and a few LDs), umm, I've seen every movie, including 2.0 of rebuild, here in Japan.

I'm currently learning Japanese, and this would be a great opportunity for me to further that. I could also cross check with my Japanese friends.

Honestly, I'm doing this already for my own studies with the storyboards from Mononoke-Hime.

So, yeah - can I help?
//--------------------------

Krijali

Always out to read too far into things...

krijali
Embryo

Postby krijali » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:46 am

And FYI

I am going to be testing out with my friends (or anyone here too), translating simultaneously with Google WAVE, it seems like it would get things done sooooo much faster and much more easily - though egos take a bashing sometimes.
//--------------------------

Krijali

Always out to read too far into things...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:13 pm

krijali wrote:I am going to be testing out with my friends (or anyone here too), translating simultaneously with Google WAVE, it seems like it would get things done sooooo much faster and much more easily - though egos take a bashing sometimes.

Sounds a bit experimental, but then again, so are most things about the commentary.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm happy to help out, but I'm not sure my skills will be good enough for full blown translation. Anyway, send me what you've got and I'll see what I can do.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Enoch
Embryo

Postby Enoch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 pm

I can somewhat help. Being a half jap, i know some things. Not sure about the time issue. Is this being done in a wiki or something?

you could try GetDropBox, and have a text file there that will update whenever someone writes into it. If you are using notepad ++ or something it will ask you if you want to reload the latest version if you are working on an older one.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks for your interest. I've sent you a PM.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:16 am

A suggestion: while I'm sure there are a handful of translators on this site it might actually be a good idea to try and recruit outside the community. What I mean is go around to some boards where there might be translators and mention this dilemma. It might be even worth a try to go to various anime boards and the like.

Also, is it out of the question to HIRE translators? I know it can be done for a price (probably not cheap) but this is a situation where I'd certainly be willing to donate money to help because I have more money than I do translation skills (of course, if I had a penny I'd have more money than translation skills).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Quiddity
Lilith

Postby Quiddity » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:28 pm

I helped Reichu with this a few years ago; we got episodes 1-4 fully done and put up and looks like the rest never got finished/put up. In any case, looking on my computer looks like episodes 5 and 6 are pretty much fully translated and episode 7 partially is. Shoot me over a PM about specifically what areas need assistance and I may be able to assist.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:07 pm

"Bumping" as it were just in case OMF missed Quiddity's post somehow.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Quiddity
Lilith

Postby Quiddity » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:27 pm

^ No need to worry, he saw it. Already working on an ep.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”