Episode 9, 2 questions.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AchtungAffen
Banned

Episode 9, 2 questions.

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:40 am

The calendar on episode 9 was quite interesting. I didn't know Japanese calendars had these 2 features: Chinese zodiac for each day, and also lucky and unlucky days.

What's this? If you look closely on ep9's calendar scenes you'll see 2 set of characters on the upper part of each calendar's square. Left are kanjis, right are hiraganas. The kanjis on the left have stuff like (I identified only 2):

Sakimake: A good luck day, but not on morning; day in which judgement and haste is avoided.
Butsumetsu: Death of Buddha; day of bad luck.

And the hiragana entries are (between others), saru (ape), tori (bird/rooster), ushi (cow), etc... The Chinese zodiac.

The question comes in 3 parts:
1) How are days arranged to have chinese zodiac? I thought that was only for years!
2) How are those good luck/bad luck days arranged?
3) Where can I get some software that generates such calendars so I can suggestionate (sp??WTF?) myself about my daily luck?

The other thing I wanted to ask about this episode is Shinji's Sdat music. I have some non Eva OST music, like Tokyo Love Story (which I don't remember when in the series is played), and something like Ryoute Ippai no Yume (also don't remember), but both songs are played on the show. On this episode, when Asuka goes out of the shower, Shinji's listening to something, barely audible, not on the scripts (so I guess it's not on the OST's also), which doesn't seem to be any of these 2 Masami Okui songs. Then, at night when Asuka goes to the bath and Shinji plays being asleep, he's hearing another one. So...

What are the names of these 2 songs? And the artist?

Thanks.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:34 pm

The two during the fake sleep/almost kiss scene are English songs that are oddly fused together, and I haven't been able to identify either. I analyzed the WAV file and got snippets of the lyrics, but I can't post the mp3 of the analyzed sample because my hosting got bumped back to Standard, and well, I have to eat.

The vocalist sounds almost like an anemic wannabe David Bowie. The lyrics (or what I could make of them, since the FFWD process causes the tape to warp periodically, providing me with no reliable medium tempo) went something like:

"go anywhere, no no... get up and try, gotta get up and try... wonder and joy... leave (love) them together... wonder and joy... bound them together... /I wonder how many five years ago... I don't think you know... please don't talk to me like... wonderman (one came back?)... but I'm not some cuckoo... like all the rest... I know it's hard for you slipping slowly left behind... bleeding heart... no no no... "

Is that what you are referring to?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:27 pm

Hmmm, don't know if we're talking about the same thing. I didn't recognize a single english word (well, no word at all).

Here's a fragment of the song Shinji listens when Asuka is taking her futon to the other room.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:45 am

"go anywhere, no no... get up and try, gotta get up and try... wonder and joy... leave (love) them together... wonder and joy... bound them together... /I wonder how many five years ago... I don't think you know... please don't talk to me like... wonderman (one came back?)... but I'm not some cuckoo... like all the rest... I know it's hard for you slipping slowly left behind... bleeding heart... no no no... "

nice to see gainax are consistent with there little ironies.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:29 pm

Yeah, I had a good laugh the first time I heard it. (Though I was laughing more because it sounded awful, but one could blame that on the tape warping during the fast-forward.)

Anyway, what I was referring to was the sound of Shinji hitting FFWD at the sight of Asuka. That's what he's fast-forwarding through. (It took a lot of work to get it to be audible. Would you believe eight tempo splits?) If you're referring to Japanese songs, Reichu probably knows.

_get some help

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:04 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote: If you're referring to Japanese songs, Reichu probably knows.

DAAAAAAAMN straight. Aside from the "dur hur hur... boobies... mouth... must... urgggh!" song, I think the only other that is not ID'd is what Shinji is listening to on his S-DAT (on the train) in D&R. Far as I can tell, it's not the same as it was in episode #04... Although I haven't got my WAV recording software reinstalled to listen more closely. Feel up to that, Hexon?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:11 pm

I don't have any copies of Evangelion at the moment. Both Perfect Collections are out Evangelizing n00bs, and my Platinum DVDs... well, they're probably around here somewhere... or not. I may have to visit several residences to find them.

_get some help

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:49 pm

Thanks for the helpon the songs. If you want I can put online both of the other Masami Okui songs if you need em.

BTW: Nobody knows anything about the calender stuff?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:28 am

AchtungAffen wrote:Thanks for the helpon the songs. If you want I can put online both of the other Masami Okui songs if you need em.

You got them in VBR? Because I do!

BTW: Nobody knows anything about the calender stuff?

Nopers. This is probably the wrong crowd... Asian cultures forums are probably a better place.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:17 am

Got them Ryoute Ippai no Yume and Bayside Love Story From ~Tokyo~ in CBR 128. Where did these two appear in the show? I know they do appear somewhere as the guy who gave them to me (SeIThIm/Nigoki, where the hell have you gone to???) told me exactly where they did show up, I forgot now as I lost my notes. I wonder how he did know that...

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:09 pm

You can save music as VBR and CBR?

Huh.

_get some help

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:41 pm

As VBR or CBR.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:09 pm

I wouldn't mind getting a calender like that in English.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:19 pm

Bah! I can encode in CBR,VBR,ABR and at multiple sampling frequencies! And that's just with mp3s! I am drunk with power!!

Ontopic, the track Shinji is listening to in the scene appears to have been changed in the platinum version. Now it's a simple squeak as it's being fastforwarded. More realistic perhaps, but still.

But heavily ontopic, here's a screenshot of the calendar in question.
[URL=http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=episode9calendar7oc.jpg]Image[/URL]

But most importantly, here's the two months in 2015 that match the calendar.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

I'm sure someone must have done this before. I would say that we're dealing with september here, given that the closing stages of the story occur in and around new years 2016.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”