Asuka & Shinji's kiss

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:37 pm

sachiel wrote: :( But...but I love Asuka...

I don't think she's an idiot, as much as she's just, er...more open in the manga than in the anime.

If you see more of manga Asuka, it's because she's much shallower there - Sadamoto's preference for Rei leaves Asuka much sketchier, without the inner torment of the original, which is what made me such a bigtime Asuka fanboy myself.

Especially, the manga trivialises as comedy the two pivotal moments when she lowers her defenses.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:03 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
sachiel wrote: :( But...but I love Asuka...

I don't think she's an idiot, as much as she's just, er...more open in the manga than in the anime.

If you see more of manga Asuka, it's because she's much shallower there - Sadamoto's preference for Rei leaves Asuka much sketchier, without the inner torment of the original, which is what made me such a bigtime Asuka fanboy myself.

Especially, the manga trivialises as comedy the two pivotal moments when she lowers her defenses.

That's true, I didn't really look at it that way.

I don't know how Sadamoto can like Rei so much, what with her having almost no personality. Much less have a Shinji/Rei preference. I always felt like that'd be incest, or something.

Though, he does seem to like Kaji/Misato, which is a good thing. :o

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:23 pm

sachiel wrote:I don't know how Sadamoto can like Rei so much, what with her having almost no personality. Much less have a Shinji/Rei preference. I always felt like that'd be incest, or something.

Because she looks good in bandages, I would surmise. And after ep#6, who couldn't think that LRS would be sooo cuuute!

I'm not too worried about the "is it incest or is it rishathra?" angle - I just looked at the pairing as part of the normal dynamic (boy meets girl; brash newcomer intrudes; upsets ensue; boy and girl get back together). Plus it frees Asuka to find someone less disasterous for herself.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:31 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
sachiel wrote:I don't know how Sadamoto can like Rei so much, what with her having almost no personality. Much less have a Shinji/Rei preference. I always felt like that'd be incest, or something.

Because she looks good in bandages, I would surmise. And after ep#6, who couldn't think that LRS would be sooo cuuute!

I'm not too worried about the "is it incest or is it rishathra?" angle - I just looked at the pairing as part of the normal dynamic (boy meets girl; brash newcomer intrudes; upsets ensue; boy and girl get back together). Plus it frees Asuka to find someone less disasterous for herself.

Meh. It just freaks me out that Rei has a little bit of Yui in her. It's like Shinji and Rei are related.

The only thing Shinji/Rei related I thought was cute was in volume 8 of the manga, when Shinji's still stuck in unit-01 and Rei is asking Yui to give him back.
She says, "Ikari-kun, I don't want to be made of straw anymore..."
It made me have a [i]little[/u] respect for the Shinji/Rei pairing, I guess.

...but I love Shinji/Asuka way too much. T____T

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:42 pm

LRS...
If I found out my girlfriend/wife had similar dna to my mother, Im not sure whetever or not it would affect my perspective.

I guess it would freak me a bit.
But then we share 98% percentage of our dna with primates. *laughs*

Just a rambling thought. :roll:

RuaDragon
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RuaDragon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:50 pm

sachiel wrote:
RuaDragon wrote:And those scans once again prove that, while the anime Asuka occasionally acts like an idiot, manga Asuka is an idiot.

:( But...but I love Asuka...

She's a shallow, c**kteasing, f**k wit in the manga. In the anime she has layers of depth and subtlety.

I really hate the manga characters, partially because I find them not too synpathetic overall, and also because they are all complete bastardisations of the originals. I swear Sadamoto is a clone of f***ing Kubrik! He can follow the basic plot, but anything resembling depth or characterisation gets chucked out the window.
"Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...Death is not...It's the absence of presence , nothing more...The endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound..."
- Guildenstern

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:57 pm

RuaDragon wrote:
sachiel wrote:
RuaDragon wrote:And those scans once again prove that, while the anime Asuka occasionally acts like an idiot, manga Asuka is an idiot.

:( But...but I love Asuka...

She's a shallow, c**kteasing, f**k wit in the manga. In the anime she has layers of depth and subtlety.

I really hate the manga characters, partially because I find them not too synpathetic overall, and also because they are all complete bastardisations of the originals. I swear Sadamoto is a clone of f***ing Kubrik! He can follow the basic plot, but anything resembling depth or characterisation gets chucked out the window.

I think certain scenes were actually done pretty well, but otherwise I agree...to an extent. I don't think it was that bad.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:59 am

Zugzwang wrote:LRS...
If I found out my girlfriend/wife had similar dna to my mother, Im not sure whetever or not it would affect my perspective.

Not just similar, man. They're physically IDENTICAL except for the pallette-swap thing.

I guess it would freak me a bit.
But then we share 98% percentage of our dna with primates. *laughs*

Correction: We ARE primates.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Asuka & Shinji's kiss

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:19 pm

pHasE _4! wrote:You guys know how it is said that Eva is based on Anno's prior 'ill mental state'. And that nearly all symbolism is of some sort symbolic of his past experiences.
Now what i'm getting at is this. What does the 'awkward kiss' symbolise in his life. Does it mean that he had a really good oppurtunity to hit it off with a hot red-head and maybe blew it? Or is it just 'Fanservice'.

I really would like to hear some opinions on what exactly was going through her mind when she forced him to lock-lips. I just can't seem to find a credible explanation. :wink:[/i]

What was going through her mind?

She was probly wondering what it was like to kiss a boy, or if shiji liked her at all one or the other.

Shinji I think was just paralized buy his fear. He'd never kissed a girl before (just a guss), probly wondered why the hell Asuka would even be showing intrest in him.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:34 am

pHasE _4! wrote:
Anyone else think that in the Manga, Asuka looks a bit like Naru from Love Hina?

Not a chance. ^^

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Asuka & Shinji's kiss

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:09 am

DatDude wrote:What was going through her mind?

The extra material in ep22' tells us what was going through her mind after, - "You won't even hold me!" - and hence why she started into a decline after that point.

Under all the bravado, she's a lonely little girl, loved by no-one, who threw herself into the role of the warrior elite to give her existance some meaning - and there's no-one else in a similar situation she can turn to for cameraderie. Rei is a soldier, not a warrior; and Shinji is just a draftee, with the temerity to be almost her equal without having gone through all she has had to suffer.

She has been brushed aside by Kaji; had a disappointing outing with a civilian - Shinji is the nearest she has to a peer, and has proven himself slightly better than completely useless by his cello playing (even if he does it for the worst of reasons).

So for a second time, she tries the Misato approach to assuaging the pain that is life; and a second time there is mutual incomprehension. The first time, you may ask? - Then see here http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20763#20763 and subsequent discussion.

DatDude wrote:Shinji I think was just paralized buy his fear. He'd never kissed a girl before (just a guss), probly wondered why the hell Asuka would even be showing intrest in him.

The reason he hasn't kissed a girl before is because Asuka murmured "Mama..." when he was about to remedy that deficit.

Note Asuka's condition each time he does actually make some sort of advance - just another reason to see S/R as the much more plausible pairing.

pHasE _4!
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pHasE _4! » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:00 am

I was meaning to ask this. Anyone know where i can see some cool comparisons between Perfect Collection & Platinum video picture difference?

Still waiting...... :roll: . I'm a bit lazy to search the net myself :lol:

What more can be said about Shinji & Asuka. Lets not forget that they are only like 14 or something. You cant blame him if he was shy.

Yes, I've got it...thats what it is, he was shy. He was thinking: "I'm not ready for children. She wants me to hold her & stuff, & I know what that leads to!"
"I'll act like a dork and make her regret her advances... HA HA HA( maniacal laugh) :twisted: . That must work!"

Am i close?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”