One Hour Photo

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Machinehead
Embryo

One Hour Photo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:17 pm

Surprised I didn't see a topic on this. Or maybe there is one, and I didn't see it while searching.

In the film One Hour Photo with Robbin Willams, the son of the family he stalks brings up a toy that he really wants. Of course, it's one of the final Eva units seen in EOE, and I burst out laughing. He says something along the lines of "He uses this sword to fight the bad guys," I wish I had a DVD of the film, so I could take a screenshot. Blast.

I'm sure most of you are aware of this, or maybe you aren't. It was sort of a sleeper when it came out, so who knows.

I laughed even harder when it came up again. Robin William's character (Sy) actually gives the son the toy as a gift. What even surprises me more is that it's found in a mini mart. Goodness.
Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:54 pm

Yes, it's been discussed before. And yes, we've all expressed our amusement and disappointment over the inaccuracies. (40 ft tall?) But now that you mention it, with all of the toys sold in America, why did the creators (whether the idea originated from the writers, the director, the script supervisor, or even the set designer) choose an Evangelion toy to fill that particular role? As you say, the idea that the item would be sold at a massive American conglomerate of a store is perposterous; but such stores exist--why not pluck something from one of their shelves? You'd have to go out of your way to get an Eva toy, and why would you when you can run down to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, or Toys'R'Us and find just about anything else to use? And if you are going to go out and purchase an Eva toy to use in the movie, rather than something readily available down the street, would you not also bother to get your facts straight?

There's something deeply unsettling about that... You'd almost expect them to have had one "just lying around". If they did just run down to Target and pick one up, I'd like to know to which Target they went.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Machinehead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:16 pm

If the kid would have said something along the lines of "They have been brought together to form the holy stigmata, and to help bring about Instrumentality..."

That would have been wonderful.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:35 pm

Of course, the key point here left for the knowladgeable to catch, is that the child has actually watched End of Evangelion. This rather twists the interpretation of the character in some subtle though powerful way.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:12 pm

Can someone post a screen shot because I have been hearing about this scence forever but have yet to see the shot...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Magami no D00M
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Magami no D00M » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:45 pm

The commentary spoke of the harpy toy as a "winged angel", and "vengeful", describing the photo man (name began with an S?)
Maybe they actually saw the movie and inncorprated the bloddyness of EoE into that dream seqence. :twisted:
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Machinehead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Magami no D00M wrote:The commentary spoke of the harpy toy as a "winged angel", and "vengeful", describing the photo man (name began with an S?)
Maybe they actually saw the movie and inncorprated the bloddyness of EoE into that dream seqence. :twisted:

So, they mention the toy in the commentary?

His name was Sy.

Magami no D00M
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Magami no D00M » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:11 am

^Yup, briefly
Oh, and thanks.^^
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:13 am

Well I heard somewhere Robbin Williams liked anime, so maybe he saw end of eva and had them put the toy in the movie.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Magami no D00M
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Magami no D00M » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:19 am

If he wanted to use a real hero Eva, why not Kyouko, or if ya want a goddes, there's Yui-sama. But I guess the harpies just made a more impactful stance, by their appearance. Doesn't mean you should say they're the "good guys", to make a incoherrent connection to Sy.
(The kid worked for Seele) :twisted:
Last edited by Magami no D00M on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iblis 19th Angel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Iblis 19th Angel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:24 am

Oh yeah!

I think there were a few other mecha toys shown in that, too. I think they had a model of Johnny Ridden's High Mobility custom Zaku 2 in there as well.
2:34 And behold, We said to the angels: "Bow down to Adam" and they bowed down. Not so Iblis: he refused and was haughty: He was of those who reject Faith.

Giant robots with angels trapped inside of them,
Teenaged pilots & an evil organization,
Doing battle with giant monsters from beyond,
Mankind's last hope lies in the Evangelions

Machinehead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:28 am

(The kid work for Seele)

I never thought of it that way...

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:33 am

i like that film......i'm gonna have to get it on dvd and listen to the commentary just for that bit :? the thing that made me grit my teeth was when robin williams pronounced evangelion wrong.....now that's a really nerdy thing to be bothered about, right? :wink: it made me laugh thaough when it came up and he said he was a good guy.....which through some perspectives could be true. but through a sane one it isn't.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:47 pm

If he wanted to use a real hero Eva, why not Kyouko, or if ya want a goddes, there's Yui-sama. But I guess the harpies just made a more impactful stance, by their appearance. Doesn't mean you should say they're the "good guys", to make a incoherrent connection to Sy.

The reason they chose an MP, even without the commentary, is obvious: it looks like a vengeful angel, and what's more it comes with that huge blade. Also, describing them as anything other than "good guys" places a lot of negative weight on the script, negating the purpose of the toy's iconography in the film. What "honor" should there be in one waking from the dream, looking to a sinister agent, and being inspired?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”