Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Unofficial Guide

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Abaddon
Embryo

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Unofficial Guide

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:04 pm

"Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Unofficial Guide - Mysteries and Secrets Revealed! #3" seems to be a fan based work. The book description reads, "In this major anime work of the last decade, Director Hideaki Anno used the medium to exorcise private demons, leaving hardcore anime fans questioning his complex, fascinating characters. This book answers those numerous questions." and that is about all I know of this book.

I heard of this book some time in the past and I have always remained skeptical. It would not go as far as to call it canon, but neither do I own the book. Here is a link to amazon for anyone wishing to take a look at the book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974596140/qid=1089651256/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-0854373-6654251?v=glance&s=books[url]
Farwell happy fields, where joy forever dwells. Hail, Herrors, Hail abominations, and thy most profoundest hell, welcome your new ruler. One who's made is not changed by place or time. For the mind is it's own place, and can make a hell of heaven a heaven of hell. What matter where if I am eternally the same. Thus, for me, it is better to rule in hell then serve in heaven.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:29 pm

I received proofs of the book several weeks ago. They were not final corrected proofs, and I would rather not pass judgement on them. However I can tell you what questions the book adresses.

Just what is it that powers the Evangelions?
What kind of substance is LCL?
How long can an Evangelion operate for?
What are the events surrounding Yui's death?
Why is Shinji chosen to pilot the Eva?
What actually are the Angels?
What is the AT Field?
What kind of organization is NERV?
What is the Second Impact that occurs in 2000 AD?
Who or what is the first Angel Adam?
Who or what then is Lilith?
What is New Tokyo-3?
What is the penguin kept by Misato?
What is the Muldock Organization?
What do the First, Second, and Third Children mean?
Who created the super-computer - MAGI?
What is the Human Completion Plan?
What is the role of the Dead Sea Scrolls in Evangelion?
What is the United Nations Force?
What is the gigantic Jet ALone robot?
What is the Spear of Longinus?
What are the unexplained images in the opening credits?
Is it true that Evangelion is peppered with quotes from other anime?
As the main character, why is Shinji so lacking in self-confidence?
Whose cells are used to clone Rei Ayanami?
Why does Asuka have such mental problems?
Is Misato Katsuragi really a top warrior, or just a slob?
Who shot Ryohji Kaji?
Why does Fuyutsuki cooperate with Gendo?
Does Ritsuko Akagi really love Gendo?
What is Gendo's real reason for promoting the Human Completion Plan?
Why were few Evangelion toys initially made?
How are Evangelion and the Old Testament connected?
What is the difference between the Gendo and SEELE Human Completion Plans?
Do Gendo and SEELE clash over their differing Human Completion Plans?
How does all this talk of Gendo's plan and SEELE's plan actually turn out?
What is the relationship between Adam and the Second Impact?
What is the relationship between Adam, Lilith, and Lilim?
What actually are the Evangelions?
What does the stabbing of Adam with the spear of Longinus signify?
What actually happened at the Second Impact?
How do the Second and Third Impacts closely resemble each other?
What were the scientists trying to do at the Second Impact?
What is the Hall of Gaffe?
Why does Shinji strangle Asuka?

There are also some character and Eva profiles, and some other little sections interspersed in the book about subjects such as the live action project and cosplayers and whatnot.

But more than that, I need to see the final version before I can say whether this book is worth your time or money.

Abaddon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:43 pm

:shock: geez, I had no idea the book covered all those questions. Still I would like to see some of the proofs my self. And even then, could the content be considered canon? I'll more then likely buy this book after all it's only $10. And it would also help me in explaining some of the more puzzling aspects of the show to others. So I could use it as a reference book of sorts. If anyone has more diagnostic information about is book post it here.
Farwell happy fields, where joy forever dwells. Hail, Herrors, Hail abominations, and thy most profoundest hell, welcome your new ruler. One who's made is not changed by place or time. For the mind is it's own place, and can make a hell of heaven a heaven of hell. What matter where if I am eternally the same. Thus, for me, it is better to rule in hell then serve in heaven.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:51 pm

I would also like to see the proofs. It might be interesting :?
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:47 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:I would also like to see the proofs. It might be interesting :?

Uhh, the people making this book probably don't want him to be showing the proofs on a message board.

Abaddon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:24 pm

I read some where that a Complete Idiot's Guide to eva was in the works.
I think it was at Neon Genesis Evangelion Portal

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:23 pm

The "Idiot's Guide to Eva" thing was just an idea that someone made there. Nothing came of it. Everyone's talked about it, but no one has ever gone through with it.

As for the proofs... no, I can't show them off. Nor can I tell you what they say about certain things. And I can't get a copy from the company for a month. Looks like I'll have to buy it off of Amazon so I can get it in a reasonable time frame.

But... to be honest, the proofs were EXTREMELY lacking. I hate to say it, but they were far from what I would consider worth reading. I in fact had to stop reading the book at one point because I was so agitated by it. I still however am hoping that the final corrected version is dramatically different in a good way.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:46 pm

coff wrote:
Timesplitter 01 wrote:I would also like to see the proofs. It might be interesting :?

Uhh, the people making this book probably don't want him to be showing the proofs on a message board.

I meant that I would buy the book :roll:
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

quatre1453
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby quatre1453 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:06 am

what they should do is a english translation of all Japanese eva offical guidebooks and all that stuff
what are you riding his bolognie pony?

and to all the eva fans, congratulations!!!

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:57 pm

Although this book sounds like an interesting one for one just wandering through a bookstore with interest in Eva, but not much of an internet presence, I'd say it wouldn't really be necessary for people like us who frequent a board like this. We can have long, interesting threads on almost all those questions and probably cover many things that the book wouldn't just for sheer length purposes. Why spend money on it when you can read it for free here at this board or at another? Thats my feelings on it anyway.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:07 pm

And if you read it here, the information won't be blatantly incorrect. :x

If anyone wants a good reason for my "trying to make money through the site" thing, here's a good example.

I could be getting a free copy of the book, but it will take me a month to get. If I buy it off Amazon, I get it in a week or less. So I told the press liason "No thanks" and bought it myself. Given a consistant readership, I've become more privy to blowing my money on Eva junk to inform you people.

Anyway.... I'll have a rant about the final store version of the book. And hopefully while I'm waiting for it to ship, I'll write up a rant about Love & Pop... which I have been meaning to do since I got it last week.

God I'm lazy. :cry:

Abaddon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:24 pm

Quiddity wrote:Although this book sounds like an interesting one for one just wandering through a bookstore with interest in Eva, but not much of an internet presence, I'd say it wouldn't really be necessary for people like us who frequent a board like this. We can have long, interesting threads on almost all those questions and probably cover many things that the book wouldn't just for sheer length purposes. Why spend money on it when you can read it for free here at this board or at another? Thats my feelings on it anyway.

I agree with you totally. The reason I am interested in buying this book is because it so hard to find eva resource books for an agreeable price. I just spend $50 buying 2015. And This book is reasonably priced. Even if its not canon.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”