Oni

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

[Video Games] Oni

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:53 pm

Just felt like mentioning this neat little PC game.

The year is 2026 and the young female operative Konoko is TCTF's strongest weapon against the evil Syndicate.

It's been one of my favorite games for long, but the story is fairly cliched, and the graphic is just about that good for a game that was made in the early 2000's.

Still, it has some good points, like the anime-influenced character designs (altough some characters look kinda fugly), intensive hand-to-hand combats and balanced use of weapons; you'll probably be using your fists more than your guns, and there are no such things as simple one-shot-kill headhots.

I just replayed the game, and I even took time to look trough the credits. When I saw the VA cast, I almost freaked out when I realized that Konoko was voiced by no other than Amanda Winn Lee (aka "The Evil") herself. Also, the "Special Thanks" section mentions Masamune Shirow (!).
Asuka > Rei

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Oni

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:11 pm

Ryo wrote: I realized that Konoko was voiced by no other than Amanda Winn Lee (aka "The Evil") herself. Also, the "Special Thanks" section mentions Masamune Shirow (!).

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

I never managed to play the full game, but I went trhough the demo about 20 times. Unfortunately, my PC at the time couldn't handle the full version, and by the time I got a new PC there were no copies to be found anywhere.

On somewhat of a tangent, did you know that Oni is set in the same universe as Halo? Tis true.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:07 pm

This isn't that stupid beat e'm up that came out(n died out ages ago) is it? That game was cool for about as long as the demo took to install....

About halo, one of the highest ranking games on my klist of all time... And saying that it's set in the same time as Oni, my god, that's worse than (thinks of adequite comparrison) mixing jacks with coke(the drink).

*picks up stones due to lack of guns*
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:23 pm

Not the same time, just in the same universe. Same earth, etc. supposedly. Of course, there's some stuff that doesn't fit, like the plasma rifles and general level of tech, but that can probably be explained away.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:46 am

Umm, I guess so, like the fact that Halo is actually based in some random part of space a few thousnad lightyears from earth, so it would take a while for tech to reach a ship that far out in space....

Anyway, the game still sucked. Me, I'd much rather put myself into HL2 storyline.... yeah.... now there's a game... or Quake4 (if it ever gets released) ah, the list goes on.....
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:20 pm

Eh, your not getting me here. Oni is set, IIRC, around 200 years before Halo.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:41 pm

Unfortunately, my PC at the time couldn't handle the full version, and by the time I got a new PC there were no copies to be found anywhere.

Well, laws are made for being ignored... :wink:

I had never heard about it being set in the Halo universe, but both games had the same developers.
Asuka > Rei

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:06 am

Ryo wrote:
Unfortunately, my PC at the time couldn't handle the full version, and by the time I got a new PC there were no copies to be found anywhere.

Well, laws are made for being ignored... :wink:

I had never heard about it being set in the Halo universe, but both games had the same developers.

Yeah, Bungie try to set as many of their games in the same universe. As well as Oni and Halo, the Marathon games share the same universe. Which is cool, as it's led to loads of speculation about whether the Jjaro and the Forerunners are the same, and whether the MC and the cyborg in Marathon are the same, etc etc etc.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:46 am

Whatever..... I was under the impression they were both made within 3 years of eachother....

Is it just me, or are there only 3 of us in this thread?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”