Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

No Anime Conventions

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:05 pm

It's official. Every single anime convention in NY has been cancled. THat means that here in New York the Otaku will cry. Hence, I am making it my responsibility to hold an Otaku convention! =p

Nah, I couldn't. Too young, not enough money but man I wish there was atleast one convention this year.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:37 pm

Well, Baltimore is the only in state con for me. But I go out of state quite a lot for conventions. I took a look, and I see that there are quite a few cons taking place in or near NY, so give the list a better look, cause there may be one you can take a train or something to.

http://www.anime-cons.com/events/

The Sandman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Sandman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:05 am

Like I said there no con in Milwaukee. This is a cry for help. :cry:

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:58 am

The Sandman wrote:Like I said there no con in Milwaukee. This is a cry for help. :cry:

But what about the one in Madison or Eau Clair or the one in Chicago or the two over in Minnesota or the couple in Iowa or the ones in Michigan. You have a bunch of them in your area you just need to look. (*hint* try the interweb) When I decided to go to a con I originally thought that the midwest was a death valley in the terms of anime. It's not, they may not be super large ones like Otakon but they are around.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:16 am

I could understand bemoaning where the nearest con was if this was the age of horse and buggy, but there have been fascinating advancements in transportation technology with inventions like:

1. The train
2. The automobile (along with a wonderful infrastructure of highways)
3. The airplane

Why don't you utilize these methods of transport and go the the con of your choice?
Done. Guarding.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:18 am

Not all of us have the money or time to transport.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:31 pm

Darkbyte wrote:Not all of us have the money or time to transport.

Flying is expensive, but trains aren't. You think I cross the street to go to a convention? The closest convention to where I'm from is Otakon, and that's an hour and a half away. Sure, I go to school in Baltimore now, but I've never been able to commute to the con from school. I figure out a way of transporting myself, make accomodations, and go.

There are conventions in your area, so I don't see the point in complaining about there not being any. If you have no money, have overbearing parents, or are under the age of 14, I can understand. I went to my first convention when I was 16, but I was still sort of chaperoned by my older sister.

Get a job, save up some money, and figure out how to get to a con. We all have to do it.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:45 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Get a job, save up some money, and figure out how to get to a con. We all have to do it.

I second that.
Done. Guarding.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:46 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Flying is expensive, but trains aren't. You think I cross the street to go to a convention? The closest convention to where I'm from is Otakon, and that's an hour and a half away. Sure, I go to school in Baltimore now, but I've never been able to commute to the con from school. I figure out a way of transporting myself, make accomodations, and go.

There are conventions in your area, so I don't see the point in complaining about there not being any. If you have no money, have overbearing parents, or are under the age of 14, I can understand. I went to my first convention when I was 16, but I was still sort of chaperoned by my older sister.

Lets see

1) Close to 2 conventions - check
2) Can get there by train - check
3) Dont need anyone to go with me eg a chaperon - check
4) Have the money to get in - check
5) At a appropriate time - No

The problem is that all the conventions always happen during my bloody exams :evil: or a week out from my exams.

Hopefully that will changed next year, becasue they might switch dates to eariler in the year
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

The Sandman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Sandman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:07 am

But still 40$US for one day! Dammn!
Exit light/Enter night/Take my hand/We off to Never Neverland

Enter Sandman

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:28 am

The Sandman wrote:But still 40$US for one day! Dammn!

There's the registration, the accomodations, transportation, food, and whatever you plan to spend in the dealers room. Easily $100-$200 for a convention weekend. Yeah, cons are not cheap. But if you plan them right, they can be quite cheap. This Otakon I ended up paying under $50. Stayed off site at a friend's house, attended as a panelist, didn't buy anything, split parking, and didn't go to real restaurants. Hotels are the real tough part. Which is why you have to get a hotel room and split it four or more ways to get the cost down.

Cons are an interesting experience, and I think most anime fans should have the experience. The only ones who don't enjoy themselves are bitter anime fans like me.

Return to “Anime and Manga”