Character Heights

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 am

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:yeah lol if everybody were tall, then people would have a harder time identifying the adults from the children.

Especially since, if you believe everything you see in anime, Japanese children always look like fully developed adults.

BrikHaus wrote:And the reason the children never grow is probably somehow linked to how the character wear the same clothes every day, as well.

They wear the same clothes because those are their uniforms. When the characters are at home, they wear different outfits.
Gamer_2k4

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Bit of thread necromancy, but someone referred me to it (Thanks!)

:: Looking at the list of heights:: Hah, I thought Fuyutsuki was a bit taller than Gendo, but it could be a trick of the eye, since Gendo looks like he has a slightly stockier build than his 2IC...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Gib
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gib » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:53 am

The kids are really short.

I thought that Fuyutsuki was the tallest character.

ANIME LESSON: MORE AGE = MORE HEIGHT

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Ayana-me wrote:This would make Shinji almost comically short, like 5'0" or 4'11".

i resent that :irked:

anyway, can't we chalk the shortness (and the not growing thing) up to the hormones in LCL like we always do? considering that Asuka is of mixed heritage and that Shinji's father is tall, i'd say the LCL is one thing they have in common that might've affected them. well, the girls more than Shinji.

and i, too, was always under the impression that gendo wasn't that tall. or at least, that fuyutsuki was way taller than him. perhaps it's because gendo's always sitting... :emogendo:

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Gib wrote:The kids are really short.

I thought that Fuyutsuki was the tallest character.

ANIME LESSON: MORE AGE = MORE HEIGHT

And here I had always thought it was "MORE ORGANS = MORE HUMAN", but I digress...

CANV
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CANV » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 pm

There aren't all to many tall people in Asia... Although I live in Thailand, not Japan so there may be some differences.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Yes, I dream of the day that I should make it to the far east, and stand with them, a giant among men. :clap:

Still, I was surprised to see that though they were both middle Schoolers, Shinji and Asuka were the same height, typically girls of that age are taller. This could point to that, at some point, should he grow, Shinji will out pace her.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 am

CANV wrote:There aren't all to many tall people in Asia... Although I live in Thailand, not Japan so there may be some differences.

Uh, the Japanese Ministry of Education actually has comprehensive statistics on height by age supposedly the average adult male Japanese has a height around 171-172cm (there are variances per age) from with a standard deviation of around 5.5cm so statistically speaking that’s around 2 inches less than the US average.

Alaska Slim wrote:Yes, I dream of the day that I should make it to the far east, and stand with them, a giant among men. :clap:
I don't know about giant, but if you're around the average US. height you should be more than a Sdev above the mean Japanese height...I really can't say the same thing about myself though -_-

Still, I was surprised to see that though they were both middle Schoolers, Shinji and Asuka were the same height, typically girls of that age are taller. This could point to that, at some point, should he grow, Shinji will out pace her.
Oh, well that is a bit unexpected Asuka did seem quite a bit taller than him but it might be exaggerated by their postures, Shinji does hold himself tightly where as Asuka seems to stretch herself out...and shoes can play a role too (that did come up on one of Oneesan’s topics).
Asuka is a year younger than Shinji, and at that age it does make a difference... the funny thing though is that the height pattern doesn't seem to be happen in all populations, Acording to the ministry Japanese girls average as shorter from age 13 on, and the norm for a 13 year old girl is around 154cm with an sdev of 5.6 so Asuka's quite normal for her age, Shin-chan on the other hand is around 150cm when the average for a 14 year old boy is 165cm with an sdev of 6.6, meaning that he's over 2Z values behind so something's got to be wrong with him :shinji_boohoo: Although if we measured him against the female 14yo average he'd be within 1z and in the normal range
Really, I'm starting to wonder if Shinji might not have a Luteinizing hormone problem; it might explain some of his other physical traits as well. :think:

And I notice that we don’t have any sort of direct reference with Kaworu...I guess from his height relative to Shinji, and the other spinoff stuff we can guess that he’s around Touji’s height, possibly a bit over it.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

CANV
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CANV » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:09 am

Synapsid wrote:
CANV wrote:There aren't all to many tall people in Asia... Although I live in Thailand, not Japan so there may be some differences.

Uh, the Japanese Ministry of Education actually has comprehensive statistics on height by age supposedly the average adult male Japanese has a height around 171-172cm (there are variances per age) from with a standard deviation of around 5.5cm so statistically speaking that’s around 2 inches less than the US average.

Alaska Slim wrote:Yes, I dream of the day that I should make it to the far east, and stand with them, a giant among men. :clap:
I don't know about giant, but if you're around the average US. height you should be more than a Sdev above the mean Japanese height...I really can't say the same thing about myself though -_-

Oh, well that is a bit unexpected Asuka did seem quite a bit taller than him but it might be exaggerated by their postures, Shinji does hold himself tightly where as Asuka seems to stretch herself out...and shoes can play a role too (that did come up on one of Oneesan’s topics).
Asuka is a year younger than Shinji, and at that age it does make a difference... the funny thing though is that the height pattern doesn't seem to be happen in all populations, Acording to the ministry Japanese girls average as shorter from age 13 on, and the norm for a 13 year old girl is around 154cm with an sdev of 5.6 so Asuka's quite normal for her age, Shin-chan on the other hand is around 150cm when the average for a 14 year old boy is 165cm with an sdev of 6.6, meaning that he's over 2Z values behind so something's got to be wrong with him :shinji_boohoo: Although if we measured him against the female 14yo average he'd be within 1z and in the normal range
Really, I'm starting to wonder if Shinji might not have a Luteinizing hormone problem; it might explain some of his other physical traits as well. :think:

And I notice that we don’t have any sort of direct reference with Kaworu...I guess from his height relative to Shinji, and the other spinoff stuff we can guess that he’s around Touji’s height, possibly a bit over it.

... To be able to figure all this out you must have way to much time on your hands... Oh well, at least you use your time better than I do. I just sit around trying to think up of things to do with my spare time and most of the time I just end up sitting there wondering what I should do!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:38 am

Synapsid wrote:Oh, well that is a bit unexpected Asuka did seem quite a bit taller than him but it might be exaggerated by their postures, Shinji does hold himself tightly where as Asuka seems to stretch herself out...and shoes can play a role too

I was thinking along the lines of the kiss scene, right before Asuka leaned in. They seem almost nose to nose.

Synapsid wrote: Asuka is a year younger than Shinji,

Only half, and I've never been sure how much of a role that plays since, like many anime characters, their birthdays are just adoptions of those belonging to their Japanese voice actors.

Synapsid wrote:and at that age it does make a difference... the funny thing though is that the height pattern doesn't seem to be happen in all populations, Acording to the ministry Japanese girls average as shorter from age 13 on,

Wait, why Japanese Girls? Asuka is only 1/4 Japanese, it's far more likley her European traits are what's "running the show" in that area. :heil:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CANV
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CANV » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:49 am

Alaska Slim wrote:I was thinking along the lines of the kiss scene, right before Asuka leaned in. They seem almost nose to nose.

Yeah they do... although Asuka seems to be just a bit taller... Or maybe her noes is a bit higher on her face than Shinji's.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:53 am

MatrixRefugee wrote::: Looking at the list of heights:: Hah, I thought Fuyutsuki was a bit taller than Gendo.

That's because Gendo was always sitting down, with Fuytsuki standing beside him. I mean Fyutsuki was 60 years old and the second in command of a enormous Evil Organization, you think the guy could get a chair!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 am

Another odd thing I've noticed: Fuyutsuki looks more buff when he's in uniform than when he's in his civvies. Wonder if NERV has a strict military exercise regimen and he's sticking to it to the letter.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:54 am

Uh, unless if we’re going to go by the interpretation that Puppy-kun and Rei have a Luteinizing/ Gonadotropin Hormone problem or something of the sort (given Rei’s development that’s a near impossibility) we might want to retcon their elastic heights base at 5cm more than what’s listed in the 1st page (well we don’t know about Kaworu so he can be as tall as we need) That might put the puppy closer to the normal range (He’d still lag quite a bit) but that way we don’t need to worry about medical isues. :shinji_blush:
CANV wrote:... To be able to figure all this out you must have way to much time on your hands... Oh well, at least you use your time better than I do. I just sit around trying to think up of things to do with my spare time and most of the time I just end up sitting there wondering what I should do!
Uh, well I’ve been dealing with biology and human Anatomy along with statistical stuff, so those things are kind of stuck in my system...and I’m done with exams (for now) so I’ve got time to waste :sweatdrop:
Alaska Slim wrote: I was thinking along the lines of the kiss scene, right before Asuka leaned in. They seem almost nose to nose.

Oh, I guess so, but the Kiss itself has Asuka leaning forward, but her head seemed to be on the same height or slightly above Shin-chan’s, and from the back shot she wasn’t leaning forward, she’d have to be a few inches taller for that. Asuka also seems notably larger than him during the kitchen preinstrumentalty scene…I guess it’s possible that her height is just as variable as her figure (she’s still taller than Shin-chan , it’s just a question of how much)…Gainax isn’t much for consistency is it?

Asuka is a year younger than Shinji,
been sure how much of a role that plays since, like many anime characters, their birthdays are just adoptions of those belonging to their Japanese voice actors.
Uh, I guess so, I still find it kind of funny that Asuka’s the total dominant in their relation even though she’s younger and a newcomer, and as far as physical traits go she seems more developed, even if she’s lankyer than Rei.

Wait, why Japanese Girls? Asuka is only 1/4 Japanese, it's far more likley her European traits are what's "running the show" in that area. :heil:
Because other countries don’t have their comprehensive population statistics as accessible, I’m not sure but if I read those statistics right Japanese children tend to do most of their growth in a shorter time frame, so that might mean her growth is more gradual…
Never mind that though, at the minimum the stats mean that Asuka’s height would be within normal for the people she’s around while Shinji has some problems. :shinji_boohoo:
MatrixRefugee wrote:Another odd thing I've noticed: Fuyutsuki looks more buff when he's in uniform than when he's in his civvies. Wonder if NERV has a strict military exercise regimen and he's sticking to it to the letter.
That could be...or he might just be keeping himself in shape for Yui...
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:13 pm

MatrixRefugee wrote:Another odd thing I've noticed: Fuyutsuki looks more buff when he's in uniform than when he's in his civvies.
It's amazing what a well tailored uniform can do. Just ask Hugo Boss...

Synapsid wrote:he might just be keeping himself in shape for Yui...
That I can sympathize with
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Miru
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Miru » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:19 pm

teh Reichu wrote:Ikari Gendou - 184 (6')
Kouzou Fuyutsuki - 183.5 (6')
Kaji Ryouji - 178.5 (5'10")
Aoba Shigeru - 176 (5'9")
Hyuga Makoto - 174.5 (5'9")
Ikari Yui - 169 (5'6")
Katsuragi Misato - 163 (5'4")
Akagi Naoko - 163 (5'4")
Akagi Ritsuko - 162 (5'4")
Ibuki Maya - 160 (5'3")
Keel Lorenz - 159 (5'3")
Suzuhara Touji - 151 (4'11")
Hikari Horaki - 150 (4'11")
Nagisa Kaworu - 150 (4'11")
Sohryuu Asuka Langley - 149 (4'11")
Ikari Shinji - 148 (4'10")
Aida Kensuke - 145.25 (4'9")
Ayanami Rei - 143 (4'8")
Pen-Pen - 61.5 (2')

Just by going by this one picture I have, Mayumi is Touji's height. And while I'm at it, Mana is perhaps 146cm.

HAHAHAHAH PENPEN'S HEIGHT!
AsukaxRei fan :D

JDami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JDami » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 pm

I knew Rei, Asuka and Hikari were young girls so it made sense they would be short, but they're tiny!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm personally surprised that Fuyu is almost as tall as Gendo - Gendo always has this looming-silhuetty-thing about him, he's one strongroom of a man.

Duh, I always thought Shinji and Rei were about the same height and Asuka a tad shorter... Can anyone supply one of these pics that show em walking to school together, or standing in the Elevators in ep 12 for comparision?
Oh, and I never noticed that Shin-chan was so ridiculously short. He always seemed, uh, average-ish. Same for Kaworu. Tough, recently there was someone who got to shoot a photo of themselves with a life-sized statue of Kaworu stating that our dear Tabby was shorter than he imagined, and the shower scene shows him being notably taller than Shinji.
But well, given that he's 14, he might still grow a bit, especially since his old man is, as previously stated, ridiculously tall. So wait and See, Shin-chan :) Oh, and according to some allusions in Rebuild, Kaworu might have similar reasons to hope to grow a little more... if he doesn't suffer the same fate as he did in the TV series, that is :(
The only one who stands taller than Gendo is the Russian SEELE guy... or was it the English one? There's a concept art that shows em all together.

Oh, and any ideas about Mari's height? She SEEMS to be fairly tall, but maybe that's her proportions playing an optical trick on us. Unlike Asuka, she seems to have gotten lucky and inherited the genes that influenced her build from her non-japanese parent, but it's hard to be sure since we never actually see her standing next to any other character 'cept Shinji and he was too baffled at the fact that she just fell out of the sky to stand up so we can compare their height...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:30 pm

At least Shinji's not the shortest male that honor belongs to Mr. kensuke aida. Also surprised that Rei's the shortest character, well aside from pen-pen.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:02 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:At least Shinji's not the shortest male that honor belongs to Mr. kensuke aida. Also surprised that Rei's the shortest character, well aside from pen-pen.

...and I thought it was ´just that anyone would look short if they were standing next to Touji all the time. Poor Kensuke XD
him being the butt-monkey of the frachise, it's safe to assume that he'll stay short XD

As for Rei, yeah, as said before, I always thought she and Shinji were about equally tall, but I might've been distracted by her boobs. With those (and the rest of her body) being as developed as they are, she probably won't grow anymore, either. :(
Since Yui isn't short, it must be her frail clone body failing to thrive properly :(

Well, at least this means that Shinji and Rei are just the right size for each other XD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”