(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 pm

EDIT: ^If you can't see this. Image shack is giving me lip.
Last edited by chazthesilencer on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 pm

^ I loled. HARD.

*hands Chaz an internetz*

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 pm

:clap: Chaz you clever gifted bastard

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 am

No action yet?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks again, chaz, for keeping the crowd entertained while we wait. Really, I greatly appreciate your efforts with your comics, they are no small feat.

UrsusArctos wrote:No action yet?

Not yet...

Attention all late Designers

You have until the end of August 31st to PM or e-mail me your Angels. On Sept. 1, 12:00 AM EST, I am closing things down and considering those who do not have their Angels withdrawn. If you have your Angel done now, now would be a good time to send me it. We have to get a move on, people!

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:05 am

Ok guys, update:

I have received word from pat457 and Vegeta 20XX. I hope to post pat's Angel tomorrow.

devil_eAter has withdrawn from the Contest due to personal reasons.

Heinkel has not been heard from. I'm throwing him another bone in the form of 24 hours to let me know what is going on. Otherwise, he's out.

Check back here tomorrow for more!

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 am

Thank you all for your patience! Now, after much delay, I bring you our newest entry:

September 1
Image pat457

pat457 wrote:Image

Name: Ialdabaoth the Angel of Murk.
Size: Indefinite; (Serpentine form) Around 50 meters, from head to "tail".
Class: D-Class
Type: (Limited) Shape-shifter, "grappler"
References: Named after the Demiurge of Gnostic mythology. The recently-discovered Gospel of Judas says that:

The multitude of those immortals is called the cosmos— that is, perdition—by the Father and the seventy-two luminaries who are with the Self-Generated and his seventy-two aeons. In him the first human appeared with his incorruptible powers. And the aeon that appeared with his generation, the aeon in whom are the cloud of knowledge and the angel, is called El. […] aeon […] after that […] said, "Let twelve angels come into being [to] rule over chaos and the [underworld]." And look, from the cloud there appeared an [angel] whose face flashed with fire and whose appearance was defiled with blood. His name was Nebro, which means 'rebel'; others call him Yaldabaoth. Another angel, Saklas, also came from the cloud. So Nebro created six angels—as well as Saklas—to be assistants, and these produced twelve angels in the heavens, with each one receiving a portion in the heavens.

Ialdabaoth's appearance is partly inspired by some depictions depicting him with a lion's head and a serpent's body (from The Apocryphon of John):

And the Sophia of the Epinoia, being an aeon, conceived a thought from herself and the conception of the invisible Spirit and foreknowledge. She wanted to bring forth a likeness out of herself without the consent of the Spirit, - he had not approved - and without her consort, and without his consideration. And though the person of her maleness had not approved, and she had not found her agreement, and she had thought without the consent of the Spirit and the knowledge of her agreement, (yet) she brought forth. And because of the invincible power which is in her, her thought did not remain idle, and something came out of her which was imperfect and different from her appearance, because she had created it without her consort. And it was dissimilar to the likeness of its mother, for it has another form.

And when she saw (the consequences of) her desire, it changed into a form of a lion-faced serpent. And its eyes were like lightning fires which flash. She cast it away from her, outside that place, that no one of the immortal ones might see it, for she had created it in ignorance. And she surrounded it with a luminous cloud, and she placed a throne in the middle of the cloud that no one might see it except the holy Spirit who is called the mother of the living. And she called his name Yaltabaoth.

There is also a very subtle reference to the mythological Ialdabaoth's delusion that he is superior and strong - despite there being superior levels of reality above him, as you will see.

Description:
In his 'dormant' form, Ialdabaoth do not stands up that much, resembling more a puddle of murk - with eyes - that can change in size, yet only to a certain extent; he could not expand more than 15-20 meters in an open area and 10-13 meters in a closed one (which puts the EVAs in an advantage within the Tokyo-3 environment).

His active form, meanwhile is achieved through AT-Field. Ialdabaoth notably never uses his in an offensive manner like some Angels, but only in passive ways, such as to give himself 'physical' form.

Ialdabaoth's "head". His face (and core) is located inside his mouth. His physical form may look strong enough, but it has a number of weaknesses an opponent can use to his advantage.

Abilities: His dormant form is pretty much vulnerable enough from the opponent's POV, but the only problem for the attacker here is that his core is not visible for the destroying. The most of what Ialdabaoth's dormant form could do is to expand, as mentioned above, and 'move' place to place.

The abilities of Ialdabaoth's 'active' form meanwhile include:
-Spewing a sort of acidic and highly corrosive mucus-like substance with the color of blood-red from his mouth. The attacker would require to do some sort of sacrifice, as his core - and his face - is located quite deep within the mouth; the attacker would thus expose his hand/s to the acid, not to mention gross.
-He can use the hand at his tail to grapple the attacker. Despite being technically made of a murk-like substance, his active form is rather on the 'hard' side (If we use the Mohs Scale here: 5.5-6 out of 10) - thanks to the AT-Field.

Defenses and Armor: Ialdabaoth's only 'real' defenses would be the hardness of his active mode form and the ability to dissolve to his 'murk form' when an EVA attempts to attack him and move in a safe distance. Other than that, Ialdabaoth is unarmored.

AT-Field Performance: As mentioned, Ialdabaoth notably never uses his AT-Field for offensive attacks, only employing it to shapeshift himself.

Regenerative abilities: Ialdabaoth 'recharges' his acidic blood-mucus for twelve seconds about once every seven minutes. In addition to this, he would heal and regenerate any damage sustained during combat at the same time. He often reverts to his 'dormant' form when doing so in places that are wide, but would stay in the active form when cornered by the enemy in narrow areas (this is apparently another weakness the EVA can exploit in the Tokyo-3 environment).

Weakness: Despite all of Ialdabaoth's abilities, his almost formidable-looking form and his shapeshifting, he has a lot of flaws (some of which are already touched upon above). One would be the fact that his attacks do not have any variation whatsoever: he moves in an almost formulaic pattern to the point that an opponent could easily predict all his strategies and skills when carefully observed.

Another flaw would be the ease his core could be damaged by long-distance weapons - say, a Pallet Rifle - given the proper timing and aim: that is, when Ialdabaoth slowly recharges. The core could also be broken by hand if one takes advantage of the recharging period (such as if Ialdabaoth is very close to an EVA; say, grappling one).

To put it in this way: if one pits Ialdabaoth against the 'canonical' NGE Angels, he would only probably win against Matariel and Sandalphon, and then only barely. The main lesson here is not all that looks tough actually is. Appearances can be deceiving.

Here we go! On with the show!

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 am

Hey, that makes two partially incorporeal angels in this contest. ;)

There's a lot of interesting research that has been put into this. Gospel of Judas, eh? I didn't know you could find the text of that one. The symbols are nice, and the drawings are more than adequate for conveying the ugly nature of the angel. I especially like the head drawing. It looks like a leech with eyes in all the wrong places.

I'll also give you props on the simplicity of the presentation on a whole. Its very easy to read, very to the point.

My main criticism of this one is I don't know much about what this angel can/will do. You have more information on what his weaknesses are than what he can do, or more specifically about the utility of his abilities. I can see how they might make the angel a bit tougher to crack than it initially appears, but the angel shouldn't exist just to be target practice for the Evas. How does this angel intend to get inside Nerv? Is getting into Nerv even its purpose? What purpose does this angel serve, and by extension, how do its abilities serve that purpose? Many times I see people design monsters like they design video game bosses; by slapping together the coolest sounding fight moves they can think of, leading to monsters that read like Mad Libs. This angel has a really great theme to it, but there doesn't seem to be any connection between that and the description of its abilities because its abilities feel like they were tacked on.

Overall, its interesting concept, good research into a subject I didn't know you could get information on, but you could follow through with the concept better.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:38 am

The history behind the name Ialdabaoth is fascinating, all right. Nice design, too!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 pm

So...That's all the Angels this time around? They were all very well thought out and none really lame. Congratulations everyone, unless Vegeta 20XX is yet to post his!
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Combs wrote:So...That's all the Angels this time around? They were all very well thought out and none really lame. Congratulations everyone, unless Vegeta 20XX is yet to post his!

Guess what....?

September 3
Image Vegeta 20XX

Vegeta 20XX wrote:Name and Title: Jamaerah - Angel of Manifestation
Size Measurements: "Wing" span: 116 feet - Center body dimensions: Approx. 28 foot diameter, 87.9 foot circumference
Class Ranking: D-Class (basic state), B-Class (more advanced state), Near-S-Class (most advanced state, very difficult to achieve)

References: None to speak of.

Personal Characterization / Background History: This Angel (referred to as male) hid deep under what was once Antarctica following Second Impact. He was originally a compound of the Angels after the Second, but the explosion separated them into several distinct Angels, leaving a weak, withered Angel behind (i.e, this one). The Angel moved from area to area, hiding from any possible attack, until the Angels attacked Tokyo-3. The amounts of energy released in the fights between the Angels and the Evangelions attracted this unknown Angel, and he would seek to reincorporate the others into himself.

Physical Description: Fairly small compared to typical Angels, he has a fairly "withered" appearance, has four wing-like appendages attached to a small spherical body covered in holes and a few bumps and spikes. The core/S2 Organ is at the center of this body, and is visible from several of the holes. Most of the center body is protected by ossified layers similar to those in an Angelic mask, though there are numerous "soft spots".

Abilities: His main ability is "assimilation", in which he absorbs his fallen (or possibly living) brethren to become stronger (he appears less withered each time he does this, and gains a halo-ish aura ring around his center each time he does). He can also break apart into much smaller pieces to avoid detection, being as frail as he is, he would be very easy to destroy otherwise. He can also assimilate other Angels in this broken state, with the separate pieces acting as a cloud of "locusts", if you will. Prior to doing this, though, he hides somewhere secluded, as he separates from his core in the process - damaging the core in this process causes the many pieces to die, essentially becoming a bunch of bone-like fragments. In an advanced enough state, however, he can replicate his core to allow his survival in such an event. He also levitates.

Defenses: He has very few natural defenses, and a very weak direct attack would kill him in his basic state. In a more advanced state, he is able to project a strong explosive aura which damages enemies, though not to too great of an extent. Further up from this is the ability to use the enemies attacks and defenses as it's own (so long as they are energy or AT-field based).

AT-Field Performance: Extremely strong, though he can only hold this up for a very short time before it shatters and leaves him open. A constant barrage of punches and etc. will wear it out, but a single hellish attack won't faze it. Once broken, it requires several days to regenerate. Can be projected at up to a distance of 200 meters, though the ATF can be projected longer if it is closer to the Angel.

Armor Type: Angelic mask-like ossified layers, which harden as he assimilates more Angels.

Offenses: The assimilation technique is ineffective against Evangelions due mostly to their armor (an unarmored Eva could be assimilated), so he relies mostly on his defenses. Advanced states can use pulse attacks to temporarily disable the Pilot's ability to control his or her Evangelion (which can backfire and get the Angel killed if the Eva goes berserk on his ass). The assimilation halos can be used to cripple or poison the Eva if there is a break in the armor.

Miscellaneous other abilities: Can store the genetic material (whatever it may be) of assimilated Angels for 3I attempts, and when in a broken state, can camouflage to some extent. When is survives a fight, it remembers the opponent's combat strategy, though severe enough damage to his body can cause amnesia.

Combat skills and strategies: This Angel is mostly suited for ambushes and simultaneous attacks. Usually bails out when another Angel is killed so he can come back later and assimilate it. The best way to prevent this Angel's evolution is to dispose of the defeated Angels.

Names of Designer and all contributors: Vegeta 20XX. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: Name pasted on document.

And this is the last entry of the ADC. Stay tuned next time for my own entry!

Also, starting tomorrow, Judgment week for the ADC will begin. All Judges, get to it!
Last edited by Chowwow on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:39 am

Finally came up with a name for him - Jamaerah, Angel of Manifestation.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Shalgiel: Angel of Snow

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:59 am

I've been very stressed lately and I regret not being able to put up my reviews on the previous Angels. I'd like to post my thoughts on them on a later time, as doing them now would make for a long post. Until then:

September 4
Image Chowwow

Chowwow wrote:Shalgiel: The Angel of Snow.
Length: 200 meters
Wingspan: 220 meters
Class: A
Type: Tactical Stealth, Low Altitude Ariel Fighter

Fig. 1: First concept sketch by Avatar of Dreams (most accurate to original concept)

Fig. 2: Second concept sketch by Avatar of Dreams

References:
Appears much like the Diemay Angel of NGE fandom fame.
Inspired by the Els-Enora and Abadd's Dragon's second form from the game Panzer Dragoon Orta.
Mentioned in passing in the back articles of Volume 8 of the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga.
Loosely based on the concept of "the Angel with dominion over snow" in Judeo-Christian lore. Very little research done beyond that.

Physical Description:
The overall look is a creature that is truly majestic and noble, rather than monstrous.

He is pure white and light blue in color, with gray and white eyes that appear cold and focused. His neck is fairly long, with his core located on his throat closest to his head. His snout is pointed, with jaws that are long and narrow yet wide enough to grab hold of an Eva. Shalgiel's tail is tipped with a short, dagger-like blade. Finally, he has two pairs of wide and tapered wings: the widest pair on his back, along his spinal cord, and one narrower pair on his forelimbs that act as canards/stabilizers in flight and scythes in combat.

He has a very flexible, sleek and somewhat thin body that varies according to the situation. When in flight, he has a low profile and flies with the grace of a penguin underwater. He can actually slip between skyscrapers like this.

Fig. 3: Emperor Penguins swimming.

When spread out in an attack stance, he appears more regal and intimidating – though his movements are unstable and ungainly.

Behind the Angel, on the small of the back, are a series of large, overlapping scale plates in a color matching the rest of the body. There are eight plates, arraigned in two rows of four along the back. Normally, they are folded down to conform with the rest of the body to give Shalgiel his sleek profile. When needed, the plates fold up, each revealing a single orifice where an ice mixture is spewed forth. The plates can also double as air brakes when extended.

Fig. 4: Close-up sketch of back plates in order of launching sequence.

Personality/Goals:
A typically calm and serene creature who can quickly turn violent, Shalgiel embodies the spirit of snowfall. Possessing the intelligence of a dog and a cold yet sincere heart, Shalgiel holds Adam with a touch of respect and reverence, but not to the level of obsession that others may have.

The snow Angel feels the scorching heat from the wrath and chaos wrought by other sentient beings that have ravaged the Earth. His simple wish is to sooth it with his cool, peaceful touch. Believing that if he can crush the opposition and earn Adam’s favor, he can use Third Impact to bring about a winter civilization of sorts; a place where arctic animals and vaguely dragon-like beings can live in peace in an Earth kept safe by a blanket of snow.

And he will be god of this new world.

Overall Combat Doctrine
He seems to operate under the doctrine of “walk softly but carry a big stick”: not to get involved with unnecessary conflict but be strong enough to crush those who get in his way. Shalgiel is built for stealth under concealment, agility, maneuverability and sheer knockout power against single opponents. In battle he will try to end conflict as quickly as possible using sudden, brute force in ambush/take-down or hit-and-run strikes. He relies on his sophisticated body armor for almost all of his protection and uses his surroundings and environment to confuse and ambush his prey. While preferring melee strikes, he will use ranged attacks to break-up small enemy groups or to exert heavy damage from unexpected locations.

Scenario
Japan's first winter in years since the Second Impact descends upon Tokyo-3. At first, people are either delighted or confused – but NERV knows better than to believe that a massive storm front magically appearing from nowhere as being some freak weather aberration. The snowfall gradually raises in intensity from a gentle fall to a harsh, arctic blizzard. In just two days of this, the streets and buildings of Tokyo-3 are buried and sealed, equipment fails to operate, and still no one is aware of the Angel’s presence. Shalgiel attempts to breach the Geofront as peacefully and discretely as possible, but his large size and lack of demolition power makes it impossible for him – thus bringing him in direct conflict with the Evas.

Special Abilities:
    Living Blizzard:
    Shalgiel can manipulate the winds to conjure an ice storm. The artificial blizzard is generated by physically and chemically altering the local environment around the Angel. An area several kilometers in diameter is encapsulated and isolated from the rest of the world by way of his AT field (see section on ATF). Air currents, moisture, pressure and temperature are physically manipulated by mechanisms in Shalgiel’s body and ATF and by the fanning of the Angel’s wings.

Shalgiel’s body initially acts as a compressor in this restricted system (like that of a freezer, pumping heat energy from the contents to the outer environment with the aid of a refrigerant) during the beginning phases of the ice storm. As the storm grows, the ATF plays a bigger role in temperature management and becomes the main compressor: cooling larger areas at once and freeing Shalgiel from being a focal point for heat.

Shalgiel secretes a substance into the environment that is a key component in nearly all of his abilities. This very stable, non-toxic, gel-like substance acts as a sort of refrigerant/anti-melt: when mixed with water and air, it forms a solution that freezes instantly into a very dense ice. Depending on the proportions of the gel to water in the mixtures, the dense ice can have properties more akin to high-strength metals than frozen water (see sections on armor and attacks). For example, the ambient snow in the blizzard is made of the lowest concentration: with a ratio of 1 part of gel for every 9 parts of water. This results in snow that does not easily melt or subliminate like normal snow – with a melting point well above water’s boiling point of 100o C. As another bizarre property of this gel, it is able to relay some sort of signal to Shalgiel: every particle is capable of communicating its location within space to the Angel.

Inside of his body are two organs: one containing pressurized water and another containing the gel. The organs are then linked to a vascular system that branches out to all parts of the Angel’s body; subcutaneous vessels end with pores on the skin, while the most important vessels are linked to the throat and the back orifices. This allows him to secrete the dense ice as needed for weather generation, armor growth and attacks.

Like how a turtle brings its own shelter with it everywhere, this Angel brings with it its own battlefield everywhere with the blizzard. It is used to manipulate any environment into his advantage: he can limit an opponent's vision and mobility and create/conceal environmental hazards. Against humans and their equipment, the inhospitable conditions generated render many machines inoperable and the high-density snow can cause enormous damage to infrastructure and wild life. Against Angel-size opponents, hazards such as valleys and bodies of water suddenly become death traps when concealed by the white Hell Shalgiel generates. Low attitude flight is also heavily restricted, grounding potential air threats against him.

Storm-adapted Sensitivity
    The snow Angel can see into the infrared spectrum and some visible light; allowing him to see the heat signatures of his targets as well as some of the light from objects within a short distance away. Other than this, his senses are usually dulled. However, he is not blinded by his own storm – in fact it augments his senses.

Every bit of ice and every snowflake containing the dense ice solution relays its position to Shalgiel. As a result, not only is he able to sense every snowflake underneath his ATF, he is able to see the solid objects in space that displace them. By whipping up his snow storm at full blast, he is able to “see” the complete outline of objects and targets that get hit or buried by the snow and pin point where in his self-contained environment the object is. Think of it as radar with snowflakes.

Fig. 5: What Shalgiel sees from afar.

High Agility Flight:
    Shalgiel is a very graceful flier, much faster than Shamshel but not at all as swift as Armisael. He is capable of accelerating quickly, turning and stopping very suddenly, and cornering around skyscrapers with ease. His flying ability is augmented by the same antigravity mechanism used by many flying Angels, however he cannot fly in non-atmospheric conditions as that “engine” alone cannot provide enough energy to lift or propel him in the vacuum of space. He is a relatively low-altitude flier, never going above the clouds, but flies very quietly and majestically amid a howling storm.

Defenses:
    AT-field:: Special containment field.
    Strength rating: Med.
    Shalgiel’s ATF is unique in that it is not actually used for defensive purposes; he relies on his physical armor to protect himself. Instead, it is constantly projected as a “dome” over an area of several hundreds of kilometers. The ATF is not always centered on the Angel himself; rather Shalgiel travels freely around the inside of the dome, creeping the dome itself along the landscape at will. The ATF is used to contain and isolate the environment underneath it for Shalgiel to effectively generate a powerful, self-contained blizzard. Shalgiel fights only within the safety of his ATF, and those who venture within it are surely to be his next targets.

Outside of the bubble, the Angel can selectively allow objects to pass through the ATF. To enhance stealthiness and allow for sneak attacks, the ATF can be set to be mostly permeable to matter yet resistant to energy transfer: allowing people and objects to move freely between the outside and the ATF without their notice and allowing gasses to cycle and diffuse, yet trapping most heat and insulating from the outside. At its maximum setting, the ATF functions like a traditional field, producing a barrier that keeps out all matter from entering and trapping whatever else is inside the bubble within.

Underneath this bubble, the Angel is able to manipulate conditions to maximize the effect of the blizzard and minimize the effects of outside weather conditions on his work. He is still able to conjure a storm without the ATF, but doing so makes the storm much more vulnerable to the conditions of the natural weather and significantly reduces its intensity.

Shalgiel can use his ATF to contain uniform pockets of warm air. These are made from the air outside of the storm dome and gathered at the top most point. These warm air pockets are used to take advantage of the condensation they form and to facilitate wind movement: the air is “injected” into the controlled weather conditions to maintain the dynamic balance of the storm.

Armor: Thin Angel skin with explosive-reactive/energy-ablative dense frost plating.
    By lowering his external temperature and secreting the dense ice solution around his skin, Shalgiel encrusts his body with a layer of hardened frost and ice about 4 m thick. Despite presumptions about his snow and ice theme, Shalgiel is NOT more vulnerable to heat or incendiary weapons: the armor is composed of a 7:3 ratio of the solution, resulting in a material with a melting point and hardness greater than many industrial materials know to man. The armor is very heavy, yet does not seem to be restrictive enough to be unbearable. The ice perfectly adheres to and molds with his skin and is shaped in a way that does not impede his flying agility.

This ice not only creates a barrier against regular attacks, it is able to act as an explosive-reactive barrier much like the Chobham armor of an Abrams tank. Kinetic projectiles simply embed themselves into the armor, often stopping well before striking the Angel’s weaker skin. When an explosive such as a standard missile or cannon shell impacts his armor, a pressure reaction occurs that sends out vaporized ice that redirects the force of the explosion away from the body. When a directed energy beam is projected on the plating, a cloud of ice and vaporized dense snow erupts over the targeted area that reflects or scatters the energy of the beam to lessen its effects. This does not work as well on especially concentrated beams such as the Eva's positron cannon.

When damaged, the pieces of the plating break off cleanly as to not affect Shalgiel's flying ability. Ten seconds or less are required to automatically regenerate any of the damage to the plating over his body when the area is left undisturbed immediately after impact. The plating also masks his heat signature completely even without the active blizzard. Removing the armor plates can reveal heat readings which tactical thermal vision sensors are able to detect.

Regeneration: Concentrated rest
    If Shalgiel incurs tissue damage, he must decide to make the effort needed to repair himself. In order to heal properly he must find a safe location where he can enter a meditative/hibernative state. Depending on the extent of the damage, he should be in full working order anywhere from about 20 minutes to one week. If he decides to forgo this long process, his frost armor can build-up over the wound and act as a cast to protect the damaged tissues until proper rest can be found.

Offenses:
    Melee: Forewing Scythes.
    Damage: Med.
    Range: Short
    Speed: Med.
    His forewings are shaped so they can act as either stabilizing wings (ala the canards of some military fighters) or blades to slash with. Their reach is actually short relative to his size, but they make up for it with their sharpness and versatility. The blade edges have a fluorescent blue glow to them that can be seen by the naked eye moments before they strike, even in the middle of hellish storms. To round out his natural arsenal he has a sharp, dagger-like tip on the end of his snake-like tail to hook and stab opponents with.

These weapons are used in from-behind sneak attacks or takedowns for one-strike knockouts; either to impale the enemy quickly and cleanly under heavy snow cover or rapidly thresh enemies down in intensive close-quarters battle. If found to be tactically necessary or if a foe is too strong to take out in one hit, Shalgiel can also wither away or knock back opponents with strike-and-retreat hits using quick swipes of his blades or quickie tackles while under cover.

Ice Jet:
    Damage: Med.
    Range: Med.
    Rate of Fire: Low
    Shalgiel ejects a stream of cold, compressed air, stored water vapor and dense ice gel from glands within his throat to project a freezing beam. The stream of compressed frost is very easy to aim and is quite accurate up to a medium range. Upon impact, the stream is harsh and forceful but quickly washes over the target in order to spread over as much surface area as possible to coat it in dense ice. A prolonged stream quickly creates a mountain of heavy ice cold enough to make steel weak and brittle.

While it can be used at range Godzilla-style, a popular tactic is to rush into the enemy and grab/pin him down while blasting the Ice Jet at full blast. This is devastating and often the beginning of the end as it gives the enemy little chance to react and quickly imprisons him.

Ice Scatter:
    Damage: High
    Range: Short.
    Rate of Fire: Low
    In battles of desperation and/or when surrounded by enemies, the Angel can shed his natural defenses all at once and launch his ice armor in a shower of heavy and sharp fragments. Engravings underneath the armor shape it into the most efficient shapes for clean fragmentation, and a simultaneous series of contractions and ejections of gas and liquids explosively shatters the armor away from the main body.

This shrapnel has a range of a few kilometers and can easily impale and tear apart skyscrapers and Angels smaller than the Snow Angel. Using the same mechanisms to repair the armor, he requires thirty seconds to automatically regenerate the plating. Naturally, the shedding of the armor reveals Shalgiel’s heat signature, but as an added bonus the great weight of the armor is removed – giving him close to three times the speed boost than normal.

Pillars of Ice:
    Damage: High
    Range: Long
    Rate of Fire: Med.
    The backside of Shalgiel, with its neatly folded armor plates, conceals a very formidable array of weapons reminiscent of the vertical launch systems of US Navy ships. The array is arranged in two rows of four silos, for a total of eight launch points.

Fig. 6: The VLS launchers of a naval vessel.

Prior to launch the back plates fold up and a series of launch orifices are revealed. A complex chain of muscle contractions creates a geyser-like spray of a 9:1 ratio of the dense ice solution that is ejected out of the launch orifices. The solution freezes instantly after launch, forming a ~100 m long heavy ice “pillar”. The resulting material has a melting point and density comparable to depleted uranium and each pillar of ice can be launched to a maximum altitude of low Earth orbit. Targeting and launching are dependent on Shalgiel’s aim; the ice pillars are unguided post-launch and fall due to gravity. Each empty orifice needs about thirty or so seconds to generate another pillar of ice. Because the back flaps also double as air brakes, by extension, Shalgiel cannot use this attack while on the move: he either has to hover in place before and during launching or he will slow to a stop if in motion.

The ice projectiles are best described as shaped explosives with adjustable yields. The fissures and cracks on and inside each pillar are formed in a way that generates pre-formed, diamond-shaped fragments. Larger fragments (about 1/8th of the size of the whole pillar) are formed from the thicker engravings, while the smallest (at least a foot long) are etched from pencil-thin lines. Once separated from the main body, some sort of signal from the gel of which the pillar is composed of is relayed to Shalgiel; giving him awareness of the location and position of the projectile from beyond visual range.

The Pillars of Ice have various attack “settings”. At the lowest extreme, the pillar simply falls from the sky and impales whatever it lands on. The sheer mass, density and hardness of the ice are enough to slice through the rather scrawny body of an Eva quite easily and borrow through one armor plate of the Geofront. Because the lethality of the projectile is limited to its diameter and due to the indirect nature of the attack, this method tends to be inaccurate.

In all other instances, Shalgiel locks on to the signal of the projectile and detonates it from the inside using an explosion similar to the Angelic cross blast. This shatters the ice pillar and sends thousands of dense fragments flying; greatly expanding the lethal zone of the attack and increasing the amount of damage done. This “initiating blast” by itself cannot be used as a stand alone weapon as Shalgiel’s peers are able to with their full-fledged cross blasts; he cannot guide the attack in any space without the ice pillars acting as beacons/targets. The blast itself is more of a linear shape: in line with the pillar of ice as it is falling. The size and number of ice shards sent aloft varies with the size of the initiating blast that Shalgiel exerts on it: a smaller blast creates larger and less numerous crystals, while a larger blast disintegrates the pillar and saturates an area with tiny fragments.

Fig. 7: Sequence of fragmentation of an Ice Pillar.

The internal structure of the pillar takes advantage of the shape of the blast to direct the fragments for maximum damage. When detonated, two conic explosions erupt outwards from the point of the initial blast. The bottom half is designed to flatten anything caught within the blast zone below the pillar, while the top half is meant to catch airborne foes at mid-altitude before the fragments fall back down to Earth.

He is able to detonate any of the pillars in any order, one by one or all simultaneously, with or without being within visual range. A full (maximum initiating blast) air burst is capable of crushing several city blocks, with fragments being launched a few kilometers from the previously intact pillar, while a full ground burst can penetrate through five layers of the reinforced steel and concrete used to protect the Geofront.

Overall:

Advantages:
    • Shalgiel’s combination of speed, power and stealth is a potent one: allowing him to gain early dominance in a battle or decide them with one blow.
    • His armor is very sophisticated and capable of performing functions outside of simply defense.
    • Conjuring the blizzard offers many benefits: offering superb concealment, shaping the battlefield in his favor, revealing and identifying enemies from long range, disabling or disrupting the enemy, etc.
    • Above average intelligence and brutal techniques makes Shalgiel a tough foe.

Disadvantages:
    • Shalgiel has a very thin and weak constitution without his armor system, and is predictably vulnerable to heavy attacks.
    • While he excels in tactical combat, he is not able to strategize very well: he does not take the time needed to organize the patterns of his ranged strikes or lure enemies to complex traps.
    • His attacks and abilities are lacking in variety, making him predictable or unable to exploit certain specific weaknesses of some enemies.
    • His ATF is mostly unavailable for close defense, thus forcing him to rely on his complex armor.
    • Senses are indirect and in order for the Living Blizzard to trace an object, the object must be made of particles dense enough to displace snowflakes.
    • While the Angel is very adept at fighting, he is not so good at demolition: Shalgiel does not have the tools needed to effectively dig though NERV’s defenses. A best case scenario for him in his attack is to defeat the Evas one by one in quick succession, then spend a week chipping away at the Geofront while hoping that another, competing bastard of an Angel doesn’t come to ambush him during that time.

A very special thanks to Avatar of Dreams for his help in bringing this vision to reality.

That's all, now on to the Judging!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 am

An Angel with a plan like Light Yagami and an attitude like Theodore Roosevelt? Icy fella, too.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:07 pm

That has got to be the best presentation I've seen here. You must have busted your ass over all of this or something...
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:47 am

Yes finally a badass genius angel of snow! Let's hope he doesn't have ice puns
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Couldn't wait for me to finish before presenting huh? :ting:

Oh well, here is my final draft then (hope my katakana is correct).

Excellent design and presentation Chowwow. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Avatar of Dreams on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:55 pm

The "ya" needs to be smaller than the other characters, because the name otherwise reads as "Shiyagiel" instead of "Shagiel".

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Edited it. Thanks Ursus.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:14 am

@ Avatar of Dreams: You rock. That pic was more than I could have ever asked for; now the Angel seems more tangible and real. Great color, sensible composition and sticking close to all the details all down to the color of his eyes. By the way, the head design and Angel mask were Avatar's ideas, so he should get credit for those suggestions. It's interesting that you used Japanese characters to spell out Shalgiel's name - he's a Judeo-Christian themed creature after all - so it would be mostly for effect than for symbolism.

At the last two Angels, I'm glad that each one was interesting in their own ways. Just when I was beginning to think that the D-Class was a superfluous category, in come these two. And they are not totally useless either!

@ pat457 with Ialdabaoth: it had a simple yet creepy design, something overshadowed only by the legends as told by Christian lore. I do wish that there was more talk about his scenario and abilities in their intended use rather than listing all of his flaws every two sentences. That can be distracting, but lends itself to his theme as a weakened, terrible creature.

@ Vegeta 20XX with Jamaerah: while we have yet to see him in full form (still waiting for that illustration), I like the idea and concept very much. The Design is bizarre and creative, while its abilities and characteristics give it the potential to be a very difficult and powerful enemy. It's short, sweet, and to the point and makes for an easier-to-read document.

Here now would be a good time for Designers to put up their Afterthoughts on their Designs and share with us their thoughts, ideas etc. that went into the making of their Angel. Please, tell use more?!

Return to “Fan Works”