Why is Asuka (so universally) hated?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Why is Asuka (so universally) hated?

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 am

Well, I decided it was about time that we implement this thread, 'cause there were enough comments in the Shinji one...

Discuss!
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:52 am

Cuz she's a bitch. :pwnd:

Score:
Me - 10 billion
Everyone else - 7

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 am

....whu?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:11 am

That about covers it.

Show Evangelion to anyone who doesn't hate themselves and secretly want to be treating like a subservient underling by a red haired hyper whore and that's what they see Asuka as.

A loud, obnoxious, unlikeable bitch from hell.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:17 am

Bad thread title, in this case. The dislike for Asuka is far from universal and is not near as pervasive as Shinji hatred. She's actually one of the more popular characters.

As for why a lot of people dislike her:

One reason is the way she's portrayed in the English dub. She comes off as a lot more of an obnoxious bitch in the dub than she does in Japanese. Thus the majority of Asuka fans tend to be sub fans while the majority of Asuka haters tend to be dub fans. This is just a general rule; she has supporters and detracters on both sides, of course.

Another reason is that the rabid Rei fanatics (whichever language they prefer) all hate Asuka because she isn't Rei. They can't stand the fact that Asuka, not Rei, ended up with Shinji at the end of EOE.

Those are the two biggest catagories: Dub fans who have a somewhat distorted view of her, and the most fanatic Rei fans.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 am

No offense to Tiffany Grant, but I think her portrayal of Asuka pushed the character from aggressive to bitchy too often. Miyamura's portrayal seems a bit softer and likable. I'm curious to see her in 2.0, I've been told she's a bit more tsundere.

I'd be curious if people could contrast the roles, because I think a lot of the "Asuka is a bitch", or "Gendo is a dick", or "Shinji is a whiner" stuff comes from the dub.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 am

'Why is the Dub Universally Hated?' might have been the more appropriate title :)

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:No offense to Tiffany Grant, but I think her portrayal of Asuka pushed the character from aggressive to bitchy too often. [...] I'd be curious if people could contrast the roles, because I think a lot of the "Asuka is a bitch", or "Gendo is a dick", or "Shinji is a whiner" stuff comes from the dub.

Definitely. But I have to admit, I thought Tristan MacAvery made a pretty badass Gendo.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am

@BattleMonkey: Again???
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:44 am

thewayneiac wrote:the rabid Rei fanatics all hate Asuka because she isn't Rei.

Quoted for mother fucking truth.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 am

I don't hate Asuka nor do I hate Rei or Shinji or any other character. Asuka is the way she is because of trauma and I believe all she wishes for truly inside is love..Love is all she needs.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:07 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:'Why is the Dub Universally Hated?' might have been the more appropriate title :)
man, you have no idea how ugly that thread would be, it would get so dirty and locked so fast

anyway, back on topic

I don't hate Asuka at all, she's one of my favorite characters, sure she's has some moments where I'm annoyed by her, most of the time though I'm amused, even touched by her (i.e. EoE, Asuka and her "mama", how does that not melt one's heart?)

I can see why people can't stand her, the Rei fannuts for one, the "no bitchiness for me EVAR" club, the ones who prefer "blondes" in more ways than one, etc.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:11 pm

I had only seen the dub of the show myself and I had only EOE in sub form and I must say, Asuka is pretty likeable to me. Asuka is the type of person who hides her anxieties and troubles under the gaze of being this hot bloodled and confident pilot, she seems to have a lot of pride in her abilities but was tattered when Shinji surpassed her and she was mind raped Arael. Yet for all this, I cannot help but feel sympathetic for Asuka nad sometimes a part of me wishes that she wasn't the subject of the "Break the Haughty" trope that is prevalent in such characters.

I don't hate Asuka but at the same time I don't put her in high regard. Her arrongance sometimes irritates me, I also hated it when she slapped Rei for just trying to help her out although Asuka was right for calling a Rei "a doll" because that is pretty much Rei's character from what I can interpret. Asuka is not the evil bitch as people claim her to and I wish I was more thorough with this post, I may have to watch the show again to get an idea but Asuka is likeable and she like all the characters in Eva need a hug.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:30 pm

She was very much needed to make up for the social vacuum of Shinji and Rei.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 pm

People hate her 'cause she's bitchy, simple as that. Of course, there's a whole counter argument as to why she is that way or why she might grow out of it, but none of that is why she is hated by many people. However, I would like to point out that the Asuka hate is hardly "universal," or at least certainly no-where near the magnitude it is for Shinji seeing as she's one of Eva's most popular characters (especially in the West).

She's a bitch, but I love her anyway. :crush:
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Because she's a loudmouthed, violent, arrogant, haughty, ill-tempered, mannerless bitch.

She's hated because of three main reasons:

1) People wanna pair Shinji with Rei instead
2) Her attitude puts off anyone sane
3) She screws up and never accepts responsibility for it.

Half the people who do like her act like they can change her; not gonna happen. The other half tends to have a lolicon fetish...not gonna go there.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Timstuff wrote:She's a bitch, but I love her anyway. :crush:

This. But Bowling for Soup quotes aren't terribly appreciated. :wink:
The argument that she might be changed for the better at the end is a shitty one in my opinion. As Mr. Tines put it to me once, the notion that she had been "tamed" is worse than her being dead or insane.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm

CyberXIII wrote:Half the people who do like her act like they can change her

Just like all the people trying to pair up with Rei. Heck it's exactly what people expect from Shinji.

Guess what, all the characters in Eva have serious issues and need to change if they ever will have happiness.
Last edited by BattleMonkey on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm

CyberXIII wrote:3) She screws up and never accepts responsibility for it.

Doesn't that describe 90% of women though? ;)

Also, Asuka's bitchiness is part of why I like her. Even if she mellows out a little as she gets older, it doesn't mean she should be "tame" and start putting up with crap, and not unleash her inner bitch when she's pissed off.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Frankly, I don't care who Shinji ends up with, and I watched Evangelion in both languages, and I acknowledge that Asuka has an important social and plot role in the story.

But she's completely, and totally, unsympathetic, and in that respect is the flattest, most cookie-cutter character in the main cast.

"Oh I'm an obnoxious bitch but my mommy killed herself and didn't love me so that explains it and justifies it." Go fuck yourself, Asuka.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”