[LAEM] Asuka's Appearance

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

[LAEM] Asuka's Appearance

Postby arkiel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:51 am

So yeah. Had one of those info-strokes in the shower today.

ADV Films says they're trying to preserve the race of each character in this phantom movie they keep yacking about whenever they're about to release another technical iteration of the Evangelion series.

Soooo... Asuka's appearance. If I'm remembering right (manga or canon, don't recall), Asuka's mother was half-Japanese. Which would make Asuka herself one fourth-Japanese. Aside from shortening the pool for potential actors dramatically (only 1/4 Japanese need apply, thanks!) wouldn't that basically mean that Asuka appears as, well, Caucasian? I've met half-Japanese that have what I think of as Caucasian physiognomy, only with very dark eyes and hair.

I did a search for this subject, didn't find anything like it. Sorry if a retreaded topic. Seems likely to have come up at some point. :(

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 am

Yes.

Hell, I'm 1/2 Japanese and I look white. The only things you can tell are my eyes.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Baz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 am

A search for LAEM (Live Action Evangelion Movie) will probably turn up a lot of info.

The appearance of mixed Asians is luck of the draw. Bruce Lee was exceptional in that he actually looked Chinese, while the more common outcome is something like Tommy Chong. For a good example of a quarter-Japanese female, see [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianca_Ryan[/url]. Pretty much any Caucasian female with reddish hair would quality.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Yikes. Hopefully they can get someone with a more... angular face.

edit Yet she is the correct age... stoking my retarded fanboy hopes of seeing a trailer for Eva LAM in a theater right before the second film of the new Terminator trilogy.

Twsa'teotu
Banned

Postby Twsa'teotu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 pm

their Tekkoshocon panel video said "Hideaki Anno thought Emma Watson was his first pick to play Asuka" (that is, when she was 14, but she was too old to be her by 2006 already)

So it would seem that Anno thinks that in real life, Asuka appears "caucasian" and not "biracial" at all
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Well, she is at least a quarter-German, and has a father of unknown ethnicity (but he's American, so probably West European). She'd seem much more caucasian than just Japanese.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:49 am

I'm fine with anything as long the actor looks like her and the screenplay for her is based on the Anime or Manga. I don't see the big deal when they have a Caucasian actor for a anime person like Speed Racer or Son Goku?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

iamsynch
Embryo

Postby iamsynch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:33 am

Twsa'teotu wrote:their Tekkoshocon panel video said "Hideaki Anno thought Emma Watson was his first pick to play Asuka" (that is, when she was 14, but she was too old to be her by 2006 already)

So it would seem that Anno thinks that in real life, Asuka appears "caucasian" and not "biracial" at all

I just got chills.
I was daydreaming about who would play the perfect Asuka, and the only actress I could think of was Emma Watson. She was beautiful enough, and I could imagine her inflect with sarcasm properly without contrivance.
Tragedy the time has now passed.

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TheLobe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:22 am

Legendary wrote:Well, she is at least a quarter-German, and has a father of unknown ethnicity (but he's American, so probably West European). She'd seem much more caucasian than just Japanese.

again anno hates americans.
anyway I hope they decide that it doesn't matter what they look like and just hire actors who can do the characters justice.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Asuka should be cast as a westerner. With a slight German accent for epic cuteness. She should in fact be the only westerner as it emphasizes her sense of isolation.

The only actress I can really think of is a younger Lindsay Lohan, before she went nuts. The freckles can be CGed out. :grin:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote: provide an actual source instead of just mentioning what he portrays in his shows.

Where he's reversing much of what occurred in WWII? It obvious he holds a grudge, just like a lot of others from his generation. Perhaps hate is too strong a word, but it cannot be denied that a bias is there and that it is squarely aimed at us.

Rommel wrote:The only actress I can really think of is a younger Lindsay Lohan, before she went nuts. The freckles can be CGed out. :grin:

So age can be reversed? Okay, I propose a younger Tiffany- no wait, a younger Reba McEnt- no wait, a younger version of Frank Sinatra's mother, Natalie Sinatra, she fooled the Germans into thinking she was Irish, I'm sure she could have gone one step further and fooled them into thinking she was one of them given enough practice. :smirk:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 09, 2009 9:04 pm

It's pretty obvious that they're going to get a white actress to play Asuka, because frankly I think the only reason they had her as "1/4 Japanese" in the cartoon was so they could give her a Japanese name (they're a bit funny about western names over there), and also there's no real distinction between someone who's 3/4 white and all white in most cases.

In the case of Shinji, I wouldn't be surprised if he's played by a white actor too, although he'll probably have black hair and brown eyes so they can say he's half Japanese. They may get an actual half Japanese actor to play him, but realistically I'd say the chances of a full-blooded Japanese actor in the role are slim. I don't really care though, especially if it means Hugh Laurie can play Gendo. ;)

The one character who I feel must remain Asian though, is Rei. The only white actress I could have seen playing her would have been Summer Glau, but she's already in my current favorite TV show as a Terminator, and I think I like her much better as Cameron than I would have liked her as Rei, and also at age 27 it's already getting tough for her to pass as a teenager. Aside from her though, I can't really see Rei as being non-Asian, because she's one of the few characters on the show whom I've always clearly identified as such.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun May 10, 2009 12:37 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:I don't see the big deal when they have a Caucasian actor for a anime person like Speed Racer or Son Goku?

Son Goku is an alien, not an Asian. Although Speed Racer was apparently a fellow named Go Mifune until they made a raped American version of the cartoon.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Reichu wrote:Son Goku is an alien, not an Asian.

Actually according to DBE, Son Goku is the ONLY white guy in the entire film...and there's going to be more of them... :gunmouth:

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue May 12, 2009 6:39 pm

schismatics wrote:
Reichu wrote:Son Goku is an alien, not an Asian.

Actually according to DBE, Son Goku is the ONLY white guy in the entire film...and there's going to be more of them... :gunmouth:

DBE lost money for Fox, so I wouldn't count on another one unless it makes a HUGE amount of money. Goku being white was hardly the movie's downfall though, especially when you take into consideration the rest of the film.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed May 13, 2009 12:29 am

Dyed red hair, and you can tell. :ritsuko_mug: Does that sound agreeable to anyone?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Timstuff wrote:DBE lost money for Fox, so I wouldn't count on another one unless it makes a HUGE amount of money. Goku being white was hardly the movie's downfall though, especially when you take into consideration the rest of the film.

No Goku being white was just a point of constant giggling throughout the movie for me...but then again so was most of the dialouge...and the fight scenes...and everything else. :nyao:

Here's my vote for Asuka'a LAEM movie appearance. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/192597725_229b9e8a91.jpg?v=0

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed May 13, 2009 11:13 pm

just CG everything.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:just CG everything.

:eatbomb: Eh... no. CG as an art form hasn't come along enough yet. If the film is to make any kind of "splash" in its own right, it has to be live action. Besides, WETA has no experience is making fully CGI films.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu May 14, 2009 1:10 am

Alaska Slim wrote:
Tokpile Quohog wrote:just CG everything.

:eatbomb: Eh... no. CG as an art form hasn't come along enough yet. If the film is to make any kind of "splash" in its own right, it has to be live action. Besides, WETA has no experience is making fully CGI films.

I think he may have been joking. "We'll CG it in later," "Just CG it," etc. has kind of become an idiom associated with badly made movies with huge budgets. :p

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”