[LAEM] Does it have to be evil?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Does it have to be evil?

Postby Olin of Xephon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:35 pm

Bringing Evangelion to the big screen is a crap shot.
If I had heard this coming from Touchstone or Warner brothers I would have said "forget it."

But out of the few facts we are provided with, most seem very positive to me.

Positive fact #1 The film is being spear headed by ADVfilms.

These people obviously care about Evangelion (even if it is only for the money it still brings them) they brought Eva over and did a damn good job of translating it too.
More importantly, after a decade in the anime buisness, they do at least know, that they can't sell crap. And quality actually counts with their customers. I'm not saying they always get it right, but their hearts are in the right place, and I'm sure they know what kind of backlash awaits them if they screw up.

Positive fact #2 WETA's working on it.

This is easily the most overrated good thing about the movie.
But people, come on, Peter Jackson sure as hell didn't make the Lord of the Rings trilogy by himself. WETA has class, a eye for detail and nuance, and at least visually, know how to bring a story from one medium to another. When news first started coming about the Lord of the RIngs movies, I said almost the same ting I would be saying about Evangelion.
"forget it." But they got it right!
They did what they had to. Turn a trilogy of novels into a cinematic masterpiece. (despite the hype)

To all those people who hate the designs WETA has come up with, listen up!
You sound a lot like all the Lord of the Rings fans who are STILL Bitching and moaning about how bad they screwed the books up.
They moan: oh! but the barrow whites isn't in it! That joke wasn't there before! They Skipped over...blah blah blah.

People get real! You CAN NOT translate everything from the books to the silver screen. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE! What you see may not be what you were expecting, it may be missing a few scenes, whole areas may have been modified, shortened, embelished, it does not matter.
IT CAN STILL KICK ASS!

This is the major thing with Evangelion. People are already moaning about what's going to be missing, what's going to be changed, how different everything looks!

For God's Sake! there is going to be some pretty friggin huge differences!
Nobody on the planet looks like the animated characters do, you will have to adjust to seeing things handled differently, lines delivered differently, real life actors playing Shinji, Rei, and company. Designs that bare perhaps only a passing resemblance to the orignal Evangelions.

But that does not make the movies evil! It means you have to adjust your expectations. Just as the MOvies do not and were not meant to take the place of the books. The Eva movies will never replace the anime or manga. You should not expect it too!

Instead, judge the movies on their own merits.
If they finish this thing and does Gainax's visoin justice I'll be happy.
I DO NOT expect a complete recreation of the orignal product. A live action trilogy (or whatever) is a entirely different medium from a animated televison series. And should be judged acordingly.

Positive fact #3 Gainax is involved.

I don't know how, but Gainax has not led me wrong yet, so I'm willing to give them the benifit of a doubt.

This is about all we know about the Movie at this point.
Yes it's a long shot. But they have some talented people working here. And if anyone is capable of bringing Eva to live action it should be them.

On the other hand, if the movies do come out and suck, let's kick the crap out of it and anyone who had anything to do with it! :twisted:

But let's at least keep in mind what we are expecting from the movie.
Not a rebirth (ha ha) of Evangelion, just a alternate version.

Oh! and please, please, please, WETA, Gainax, ADV, no well known actors!
Go with a cast of unknowns! "Star power" is NOT what this movie needs.

It needs a soul.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:11 am

I hope for a film that remains true to the spirit of Evangelion. But I also hope that the production doesn't make some truly asinine changes.

If Shinji doesn't cop a feel on a naked Rei in her apartment, I won't be dissapointed. However, if Shinji doesn't have a heart to heart with Kaji in the middle of a melon patch while Zereul is blasting the shit out of everything, I will.

There are some things you take out, and some things you don't. I pray the changes they make are tasteful and appropriate.

But... I still think the odds are that this movie will be an insidious creation. Hollywood has had a habit lately of taking licenses and shitting them out. I'm already hearing bad things about Issac Asimov's "I, Robot".

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:24 am

*shouts to heavens* CURSE YOU PETER JACKSON! TOM BOMBADIL LIES COLD AND DEAD! As I said before, I am a diehard Tolkien fan. I hate the LOTR movies for the ENOURMOUS amount of stuff they left out and/or altered. I also love the movies, if I can manage to forget about the real Middle-Earth for a while. The Olin is right, now all he needs to do is tune the world so that the Live Action Movie is exactly the same as the series. You can do it!
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:24 am

I agree wholeheartedly. What this movie need to have is a fresh light on the series, not the same thing with spiffy visual effects. Besides, if we wanted the same thing, we would go see the series itself, you people who want it to remain compleatly unchanged have to remember that. This is not the same thing as LOTR, a book is different from an anime series, you just don't translate take it and put it on the screen, the same thing that people have seen before, with the same lines and same action sequences and same stuff. I personally am waiting for this to come out. And if it sucks.... well God have mercy on the people who will taste my vengence.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:36 pm

Dave wrote:*shouts to heavens* CURSE YOU PETER JACKSON! TOM BOMBADIL LIES COLD AND DEAD!!

Think about it, how important was Tom Bombadil to the story? If they didn't cut things out, the movies would be like 10 hours long.

The Eva movie, I think ADV will try to keep it close to the original, but that is going to depend heavily on the director.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Esion » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:44 pm

I think they key difference between Lord of the Rings and Evangelion is that one is a book and the other is in video format. With a book you can be rather interpretive and still do a good job. When it's in video format it is much harder to change things and not have people notice.

It's really a remake rather than a transition. Remakes usually never do the origional version justice. I think that is the fear behind the Live Action movie.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Tuning the world...

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:41 pm

What this movie need to have is a fresh light on the series, not the same thing with spiffy visual effects. Besides, if we wanted the same thing, we would go see the series itself, you people who want it to remain compleatly unchanged have to remember that.

Exactly what I'm saying. They should be creative. They should make changes, good ones! I'll go see a complete re hash of the series if it's done well, but I will be far more pleased if it brings some new meat to the table at the same time.

If Shinji doesn't cop a feel on a naked Rei in her apartment, I won't be dissapointed. However, if Shinji doesn't have a heart to heart with Kaji in the middle of a melon patch while Zereul is blasting the shit out of everything, I will.

Indeed. There are several scens that would be a sin to remove from the movie as they make up the very fabric that is the Evangelion we love.
But I have to disagree, that Shinji and Rei scene will HAVE to be in there!
It's so funny, wrong, unexpected, etc. I'd be disapointed if that scene got cut. (they can cut it around the nudity, but it should be there)

Although now that you mention it, I bet that's the first thing that will go!
I sure as hell should start tuning the world so that doesn't happen!
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:15 am

I'm pretty sure there are a few rules which would impede said Shinji-on-Rei scene, so I was never expecting that in the first place.

The fear is not of meager visual infidelity or the ommission of certain key scenes. LOTR has become a popular comparison for this project, but a lot of Tolkien-purists are angry about those films. One thing to consider, though, is that an instance in which anyone was even that loyal to the source material has been rare in the history of adaptation. (The Ring comes to mind, but then gets written off as a blatant ripoff without honorable cause.) I don't think anyone remains who is expecting a carbon copy of the original, but then, what is it that they would be happy with? There is no clear idea of demand because there is no clear idea of supply.

To say that you'd be happy with change is one thing, but having no limits is another. Weta has no weight on story, (also, because LOTR was a trilogy of novels, this "visual fidelity" is really no big accomplishment), so it is impossible to guarantee the same treatment. Some fear this will be another LOTR in that respect. Others are hoping for that very possibility. However. the ones who are most afraid only need look to the past to have their fears reaffirmed.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Dave wrote:*shouts to heavens* CURSE YOU PETER JACKSON! TOM BOMBADIL LIES COLD AND DEAD! As I said before, I am a diehard Tolkien fan. I hate the LOTR movies for the ENOURMOUS amount of stuff they left out and/or altered. I also love the movies, if I can manage to forget about the real Middle-Earth for a while. The Olin is right, now all he needs to do is tune the world so that the Live Action Movie is exactly the same as the series. You can do it!

I for one am GLAD that PJ cut the obnoxuos Bombadil out and I like the movies better than the books. They brought Middle Earth to life in a way the books didn't for me.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”