Master list of written statements by Evangelion staff?

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Master list of written statements by Evangelion staff?

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 am

Would it make sense to have such a master list in Resources? I think it might be a good idea, since many NGE-related threads, especially in other parts of the internets, often follow this formula:

1. Poster A: "Anno said this and Anno said that."
2. Poster B: "OMG SAUCE PLZ!"
3. [silence]

The page I have in mind would be a bit like Monkey's archive of written statements, except it would only contain info from the actual production staff. It could also summarize the main points of interest for the tl;dr crowd, give links to the primary sources if possible, give notes and assess the reliability of second-hand sources. Here's a quick-n-dirty format outline:

- Title (or some combination of who-what-where?)
- Points of interest
- other notes (availability of primary source?)
- source
- reliability level, disclaimers etc.

Some examples of how this might work in practice. First, a well-known, generally reliable source:

Hideaki Anno: What were we trying to make here?
- Points of interest: Lots of stuff. Anno explains how NGE is a very personal work for him, how the main characters are anti-heroes and that he has no idea how the story will ultimately end.
- Other notes: "Asked before the start of the Neon Genesis Evangelion animated series."
- Source: Neon Genesis Evangelion Vol. 1 (What release exactly? Links?), available at http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_anno01.php
- Reliability level: Tier 2 canon

And then, two not-so-well-documented sources:

RahXephon Complete guidebook
- Points of interest: Contains "a pair interview with directors Yutaka Izubuchi (RahXephon) and Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion)"
- Other notes: Not translated into English, lol.
- Sources: English summary of contents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RahXephon_media#Guide_books ; Japanese ISBN listing http://webcatplus-equal.nii.ac.jp/libportal/DocDetail?txt_docid=jBKID%3AB0416617 which proves the book os real
- Reliability level: Anno's statements should be Tier 2?

Anno's TV interview on NHK
- Points of interest: "According to a very frank and open 40-minute interview by Anno on the NHK TV program Top Runner (www.nhk.org.jp/tr/) about a week or so ago, all religious and philosophical references, while providing a coherent setting for the story, were used for the specific purpose of looking cool and to make Anno & company appear intelligent."
- Sources: MDWigs quoting bochan_bird's post on the Eva ML. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE AND WHY THEY'RE CONSIDERED TO BE PRETTY RELIABLE?
- Reliability level: Tier 2 (but a full translation will probably never become available)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 am

I cannot emphasize how awesome an idea this is. It has my full support and then some.

I have a lot of stuff lying around on my HD, bookshelf, and bookmarks that I can throw in at some point. The Resources:Main page has links to some interviews, too. The ancient EML archives would also provide a lot of ideas for things to add -- definitely would be worth browsing through those sometime.

A good idea would be to provide the Japanese text when available, as well, simply for archival purposes. Speaking of which, it might be possible to find transcripts of the Top Runner interview on Japanese fan sites. I guess I never considered that possibility before, but my Japanese Google-fu probably wasn't as good last time this subject came up.

We can also list the zillions of interviews that we know exist, but don't really know anything about -- for future reference. BTW, I think the seiyuu should be included in "production staff"; some of the things they've said get cited ad nauseum.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Would this just be something where we put any interview/transcript with Anno? I could put up a transcript of that Anno talks to kids thing, at least the parts of interest.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue May 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Ornette wrote:Would this just be something where we put any interview/transcript with Anno? I could put up a transcript of that Anno talks to kids thing, at least the parts of interest.

Fine by me. I don't think there's enough "Anno spouts random gossip" articles to ruin the page.

Reichu wrote:We can also list the zillions of interviews that we know exist, but don't really know anything about -- for future reference.

Yes, that's the point of the reliability rating, and it might inspire others to do some research as well. We could mark untranslated and unverified articles with disclaimers like "until more info surfaces, treat any claims about this-and-that with healthy scepticism".

BTW, I think the seiyuu should be included in "production staff"; some of the things they've said get cited ad nauseum.

Obviously.

What would be the official name of this page, BTW?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm

I can't offer much except support, but this does sound like a damn good addition.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 05, 2009 5:24 pm

What NemZ said.

And actually, a wiki page like this might just give me the motivation to scan in those 07-08 Rebuild Newtype articles.... :sweatdrop: (If people are indeed interested in the information from those, that is.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:What would be the official name of this page, BTW?

Um... Resources:Statements by Evangelion Staff? Can always get changed if it sucks too hard.

SSD: YES SCAN IT. SCAN IT ALL!!!

NemZ: Well, it's not like you couldn't help work on the page at all. Going through ancient postings, Googling leads, and doing writeups would all be within your own faculties, I'm assuming.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue May 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Sounds like an idea whose time has come.

Dr. Nick wrote:What would be the official name of this page, BTW?

Does "Official Statements" sound too bland?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Does "Official Statements" sound too bland?

I won't dare put the word "official" in the title, since if Anno blurted out something relevant to us in an interview by the Garden Gnome Enthusiast, that would certainly be a Tier 2 source, but not a very, uh, official one.

Page created.

@ NemZ and SSD: Improving this page is really easy. If you spot a related article that's not on the list, just mention it in this thread and somebody will add it in eventually. I've made a few such serendipitous discoveries myself.
Last edited by Dr. Nick on Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed May 06, 2009 8:39 am

"Creator Statements", then?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •