Favorite/Least Favorite Angel and Why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:14 am

Bawww, so much Sandalphon hate. What kind of world do we live in, where people can gang up on an innocent mutant Anomalocaris that makes baby noises?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Hrrmmmm... Its kinda hard for me to choose. In general I don't tend to pick favorites, and by the same token I don't generally pick least favorites either. Its like picking your least favorite child, you know? They were all so unique, and after being saturated by High Fantasy and gaming standbys the Angels were a breath of fresh air with a truly different aesthetic and abilities. But I suppose I can try...

By all means, I have absolutely nothing against some of the popular ones to hate. Sandalphon may not seem as threatening as say Zerul, but it isn't supposed to be. The drama of that fight comes from the implausible but Cool backdrop (inside a volcano). Sandalphon itself is a pretty awesome nod to just how weird some of the creatures that have evolved on Earth in reality are. It always reminded me of the kinds of creatures that still inhabit the deep oceans, even if it was based on a fossil. Matarael is a cool design, unique even among the angels; people like to bash it because it did very little in the plot and didn't get a spectacular death. Boo hoo, take it up with the writers. The angel is still cool if you take it by itself. And don't no one bash Lelliel, ya hear? Arael has nothing over this bad girl! The first angel to communicate (via mindfuck) with a human, and it uses weird theoretical physics concepts as its power? Too awesome for words. Maybe I'm just a geek for this kind of stuff.

Actually, there is one angel that has always disappointed me: Shamshel. Even before it got its facelift for Rebuild, its just kinda boring and cliche. I mean, they just got finished destroying one Godzilla wannabe, did they have to do something so similar so soon? It doesn't have any abilities worth noting, it looks funky, and overall its scene could best be described as any boss fight from name-your-favorite-video-game-here. LAME!
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:27 pm

How people can hate on Sandaphon when it's basically a Ghagiel with arms, creepy sucker mouth, and crazy awesome environmental adaptations is beyond me.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tsachoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tsachoul » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 am

Matarael and Sandaphon.

Matarael because the only reason it posed any threat whatsoever was that the power was out. If the power was on, all those missile turrets and tanks would finally have their moment of glory.

Sandaphon because as has already been mentioned, it was a silly premise. Molten rock is does not behave or look like murky red water.
"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world assunder."

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Matarael because the only reason it posed any threat whatsoever was that the power was out. If the power was on, all those missile turrets and tanks would finally have their moment of glory.

Everyone assumes that just because it died easily seems to mean it was weak. I wonder why...

I can think of at least two reasons this assumption is flawed: 1) it might have needed to lower its AT field to spew acid all over the place 2) it wasn't expecting to be shot at because there is nothing indicating that it knew of the armed Eva's aiming to kill it down there in the dark. While there is no evidence to suggest that it is powerful, there is equally little evidence to suggest that it is the wimp people take it to be.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:50 pm

Ramiel, because it was so persistent in the series I felt like kicking it in the A/S.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:40 am

Matarael, even though the episode was pretty good.
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Tsachoul wrote:Sandaphon because as has already been mentioned, it was a silly premise. Molten rock is does not behave or look like murky red water.

How does molten rock behave? I always imagined that it would be similar to wet concrete; too thick and heavy to move around in and opaque, so you can't see through it. In other words, physically impossible to fight in.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:28 pm

SAWgunner wrote:How does molten rock behave?

Depends on the type of rock -- granitic lava is very viscous, but basaltic will flow smoothly from an eruption. The wikipedia entry for the relevant volcano suggests a composition tending slightly towards basaltic. Allowing for the fact that viscous effects scale inversely with lengths, such a lava would likely feel thicker than water, but not totally stiff for an Eva -- perhaps more like glycerine.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:34 pm

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Ramiel, because it was so persistent in the series I felt like kicking it in the A/S.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!

Reichu wrote:Martians AND demons

Insert Doom reference here.

Anyway, I pick....Sahaquiel and Armisael. Sahaquiel because she just floats here, and dies fairly easily. And Armisael killed Rei. There you go.

REPPUKEN
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Vegeta 20XX wrote: And Armisael killed Rei. There you go.

REPPUKEN

Yeah, but Rei's death was beautiful and epic, so that actually gives points to Armisael. And it's not like there aren't a bagillion more Rei's to replace her.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Until the next episode, when Ritsuko kills them all.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Mr.Sexy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Sexy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:32 am

Okay this an easy one:

for me Kaworu and Armisael mainly cause Kaworu would have been cooler if he had some sort of "Angel Form". Instead of just his regular human form. and Armisael it's so basic and uninteresting. Both apperance and aesthic wise.

And i also hate Sandalphon so much it's even above the level of hate and more like dispise. Mainly because of it being in lava making it so they had to ruin my favorite Eva. Unit 02 by putting that GODDAMED! D TYPE ARMOR on it. Thus forever ruining that episode for me.
Evangelion Isn't About Life...
Life Is About Evangelion!!!

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:05 pm

sandalphon.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mr.Sexy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Sexy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:29 am

My two are Sachiel & Shamshell.
Mainly cause iv'e always thought that sachiel looks the most angel like (in my opinion) and Shamshell because frankly, What other giant penis monster can hover?
And kick ass with pink whips of doom!!! :clap:
Evangelion Isn't About Life...
Life Is About Evangelion!!!

LIGHTFIRELT
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LIGHTFIRELT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:30 pm

I never pictured Sachiel that way...

And frankly I'm not particuarily fond of any of the angels except for the 18th angel (Hint: uniqueness.)

LIGHTFIRELT
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LIGHTFIRELT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Kind of a juvenile topic name but anyways: Armisael. A little repetitive and not much to deem as menancing but I guess the hidden beauty of it is its deceptively unintimidating look.

Radish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Radish » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Israfel. Not the Angel itself so much as its episode, I guess. The plan, training, execution, all of it - do not make sense. How does spending every hour eating, breathing, sleeping, and playing a giant game of Simon together for a week teach two people to spontaneously and continuously make perfectly synergistic (and symmetrical!) combat decisions provided they're listening to the same music? There are some pre-existing ideas that could explain it ("synchronization" is hardly new to the show's vocabulary), but no one acts as if any such "higher" things are involved, and passed this episode the would-be-incredibly-useful-in-every-battle-ever ability of the pilots to synch with each other is NEVER USED OR EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED AGAIN. Ass. Pull.

I feel conflicted about Armisael. It kills Rei, but that death (possibly combined with some subconscious recollection of the revelation Armisael brought) seems to break the cycle of her loyalty to Gendo, which is good. I'm certainly a bit irked by Armisael's unexplained nigh-indestructability, though.

Fazmotron wrote:I found Leliel to be one of the most interesting Angels, along with it having the best death scene in the series.
Well, Leliel's defeat is a bit shifty, in that it kind of just happens, and remains completely unexplained even when it defies the understanding the viewer was given of the Angel's nature ("Wasn't that thing supposed to be its shadow?" ve might say). This is all deliberate, of course, to foster awe in the unstoppable will of Yui-sama, but it could be taking the tactic too far for some people. None that I've met, but still; they could exist.

Formless One wrote:1) it might have needed to lower its AT field to spew acid all over the place
Actually, the Children (specifically Asuka) neutralize Matarael's AT Field as part of Asuka's plan: "Defense stays here, neutralizes the AT-field and also protects Offense from Angel's solvent liquid."
EVA is a sandbox.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Radish wrote:I feel conflicted about Armisael. It kills Rei

Isn't it... the other way around?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Radish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Radish » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 am

It bears significant responsibility for the death of Rei as a result of threatening actions taken against NERV forces (namely herself and Shinji) that compelled her to activate her Eva's self-destruct in order to end its menace.

To be more precise.
EVA is a sandbox.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”