Is Evangelion Flawed?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Reichu wrote:Rei 3's "sudden appearance" has a very practical basis to it: (1) Rei 2 was dead, (2) Gendo was not done with Rei, (3) Gendo has more Rei clone bodies in the tank, (4) Rei's nature was classified, (5) If he's going to resurrect her, he might as well do it right away and make it look like Rei 2 survived, and fewer questions get asked. I may be forgetting some other things at the moment, but this is clearly an intentional story element...

Not sure about intentional, but I agree with practical. While I accept that Rei is shown alive that fast now, it still doesn't leave much room for sympathy, or sadness. Rei's just there...and stranger.
In fact, when I first saw '23(my fourth episode ever), I thought Rei wasn't dead, as Shinji thought. Was that the effect we were supposed to get? Not sure, because then just shows how the audience and I would have had to miss Rei's BURNT-OUT hand in the plug(which I did).
But like I said, we can't be entirely sure that was intentional, given how the latest of Eva's epsiodes has been altered pre and post broadcast and home release(NPCs).

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2006, 23:12 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

How is there anything unintentional about it? Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 00:13 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

It COULD (I'm not saying I would actually know.^^; ). The reason I'm saying it could is because it seems to not achieve the precieved desired effect, as many people state Rei III coming into the fray so quickly as a flaw of putting too much together as a result of ending change/crunch/w/e, or that Rei's death was not as powerful as the show attempts to present it. Are we not supposed to feel anything for her death? Or are we supposed to make the mistake that Rei is still alive? (well, now that Eva's been released forever, this doesn't mean much. But watching it orginally, broadcast in Japan, it would seem easy to miss KFR)
Wonder if N00bs will miss it when '23 plays on AS....
If it was intentional in fact, then great for that point. Image Doesn't mean some people agree with what happens(I've already stated what I thought for that, but I should add this; If Rei was gone for a while(be it episodes, or measures of time within the show, Shinji would've been WTF even sooner then when seeing the Rei tank. I'm a bit torn on what's best now that I think of it....)

But that doesn't matter, that part of the show is what it is. But still....Kaworu needed more screen time, no matter if he achieved his purpose or not. His death was not as powerful nor was he and Shinji's friendship as meaning(or even realistic) as it could(should/bias) of been. Yet I still became of fangirl. Image
Impact is needed.

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 00:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Well... I sorta disagree about the common diagnosis of Kaworu (in the entirety of its scope)... but...

Aside from serving its purposes in the narrative, what is the death of Rei 2 "supposed" to achieve? A part of the story is conveyed, and the members of the audience feel whatever they feel as a result. Some people go, "Boo hoo, Rei! Image", some people go, "Yeah, blue-haired bitch had it coming to her!", some people go, "WTF is going on?"... The reaction is left in your hands, you know?

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 03:46 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:They're there, I suppose, to confirm that Shinji is, in fact, watching Misato and Kaji fornicate

Isn't this blatantly obvious otherwise?

Quiddity wrote:7) And obviously, episodes 25 & 26. Worst ending in anime history? Yeah, its probably still up there in my mind.

I take it you haven't seen Sorcerer Hunters. Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 19:29 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Quiddity wrote:7) And obviously, episodes 25 & 26. Worst ending in anime history? Yeah, its probably still up there in my mind.

Actually it's one of the best. You just don't know it until you're seen EOE.

Dr. Nick wrote:I take it you haven't seen Sorcerer Hunters.

Or the final episode of Mahoromatic.

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 21:08 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Actually it's one of the best. You just don't know it until you're seen EOE.

I found it interesting purely for its expiramental nature. It was a groundbreaking manuever, partly inspired from a lack of funds. Highly controversial but fascinating none the less.

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 21:17 GMT

Quattro Ninja [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Quattro Ninja [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

I liked the TV ending Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 22:22 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Quattro Ninja wrote:I liked the TV ending Image

I liked it better than EoE. And I spent most of EoTV trying not to fall asleep. But atleast I wasn't groaning and hollering like during EoE....

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 22:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I can't remember, but I think I might have fast-forwarded through most of EoTV the first time because...

Rachel "I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS DAMMIT!!!!"
Rachel's Sister "There's actually a movie, BTW."
Rachel "THANK GAWD!!!! This ending blows!"

Why were you "groaning and hollering" during EoE? I was mostly doing this:

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 22:42 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:hollering

Hollering?

Originally posted on: 02-Mar-2006, 01:33 GMT

Ronin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ronin [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

As much as I love Evangelion (up until the last two episodes), I will have to say 'yes'

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2006, 22:13 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”