(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:33 am

Action_Bastard wrote:Also, flaming chainsaw arms???

hell yes flaming chainsaw arms! If you're going to go over the top you might as well go all the way.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:41 am

I guess so......
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:54 am

I am DIGGIN' the flamin' chainsaws of Paradise!
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 am

I like the flaming chainsaw arms, but I think the drill is kind of redundant after Ramiel.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 am

Got some really bad news.

Tenants downstairs won't stop downloading their pr0n or something so my modem gave nobody else bandwidth for three or four days...the number of days I have been trying to upload the photos. Do I get disqualified, or moved backed to the show line?

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:13 pm

If anyone needs some last minute names (I know I did), a pretty good list is here:
http://www.angel-guide.com/names-angels.html
Gamer_2k4

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Tenants downstairs won't stop downloading their pr0n or something so my modem gave nobody else bandwidth for three or four days...the number of days I have been trying to upload the photos. Do I get disqualified, or moved backed to the show line?

Don't worry, TheAyanamiOtaku, you can't be disqualified for anything just for this! Technical issues happen; I would just like to see what you've made.

We can take a break for today. We can either present towards the back of the schedule or you can substitute in when someone else either drops out or can't present yet. Otherwise, we would have to push all of the schedules back for everyone, and that would be a hassle.

For now:
    Sept. 3: ???
    Sept. 4: Gamer_2k4
    Sept. 5: Avatar of Dreams
    Sept. 6: devil_eAter
    Sept. 7: Hazukari
    Sept. 8: pat457
    Sept. 9: Team New Guys (NemZ and Rhyno)
    Sept. 10: Omegagouki
    Sept. 11: AsukaChan
    Sept. 12: Sailor Star Dust
    Sept. 13: CorporalChaos
    Sept. 14: TheAyanamiOtaku (redux)

Tomorrow:
Image Gamer_2k4
Last edited by Chowwow on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:06 pm

On Irken's Angel before we move on:

I liked how much detail you thought of for your design: the illustration speaks volumes on what your Angel is and what it can do. You even have a logo! The form is fairly interesting and the abilities you gave it are pretty unique. I really like the transforming abilities of the Angel: it makes it very flexible in many situations and gives it a lot of artistic value.

The "chain saws" and the drill are some defining characteristics of the design. While I think they are a bit too mechanical and can be made to be more alien and organic, I think these features are interesting and very important to the design.

I'd really like to know more about the personality of this Angel and what it is like, though what you have is good for now.

I also see that it's in the same class as the Seeds of Life (Adam and Lilith). I know that it's named after an Archangel, thus it has to be of pretty high rank and status. Just know the cliche: with great power comes great responsibility. That is, something that boasts that much status has to live up to it - something that can only be done with a major plot focus. Jophiel may have to see some upgrades or other changes in the future to make it work in a story.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Thank you for the comments and the opportunity! :asuka_happy:
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:27 pm

exactly how intelligent can we make our angels?

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 pm

How smart was Kawrou?
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Hamaliel, the Angel of Logic by Gamer_2k4

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:30 pm

exactly how intelligent can we make our angels?

Exactly how smart do you want them to be, while still being Angel-like? Remember that humans are born from the Angel of Knowledge, while the Angels are from the Angel of Life - so how do you interpret that?

Anyway:

SEPTEMBER 4:
Image Gamer_2k4

General Data:
Name and Title: Hamaliel, the Angel of Logic
Size Measurements: slightly larger than a core of an angel or eva
Class Ranking: B-Class
Type: disabling/disorienting (soften the target up for a more capable attacker)

References: none

Personal Characterization / Background History: Hamaliel has very logical, structured, focused behavior. Its lack of weapons means that this angel is incapable of fighting attackers, so it focuses solely on its objective and relies on its electromagnetic and AT fields to protect it. Hamaliel's goal is to enter Central Dogma through any means necessary to come into contact with Adam (or Lilith or whatever starts third impact).

Physical Description: Hamaliel is essentially a core surrounded by a metallic cage. The cage is composed of four horizontal octagonal bands intersecting with four vertical octagonal bands. The bands are golden in color, and appear to be cylinders tightly wrapped with wire.

Defenses:
AT-Field Performance: Hamaliel has a very low power AT Field; it's enough to deflect conventional weapons like bullets and to separate itself from other angels, but easily negated by an Eva or another angel. The field is basically "draped" over the frame, and doesn't really expand past that.
Armor Type: Hamaliel has no armor to speak of; its cage is its only physical protection.
Regenerative abilities: Hameliel cannot regenerate; it has such a minimalistic structure that almost any damage would be fatal.

Offenses: Energy is constantly pulsing through the coils surrounding Hamaliel, causing them to reach very high temperatures. This allows it to melt through metal doors and armor layers and makes close combat very difficult.

Miscellaneous other abilities: Hamaliel possesses an incredibly strong electromagnetic field that radiates out with a diameter of one mile. This field neutralizes any electrical systems anywhere, including computers, security systems, automated devices, and even Evas. Neurons themselves are exempt, as they are protected by the human's AT field. Therefore, an Eva must be berserk in order to approach this angel. Note that because radio waves and other forms of light are electromagnetic in nature, and this angel neutralizes electromagnetics, the area within the field is completely dark and radio communication is impossible. Also note that Hamaliel can detect fluctuations in its electromagnetic fields, meaning that it can sense and navigate around obstacles.

Combat skills and strategies: Hamaliel relies on disabling its opponents rather than attacking them; it doesn't go out of its way to avoid threats, because if a threat comes near it, that threat will probably be neutralized, and if it's not neutralized, then it will be severely burned.

Class justification: This angel is hard to detect, hard to shoot, hard to get close to in melee, and all in all very hard to defend against. Evas can't touch it except in extreme circumstances, and Angels will probably have issues fighting it as well.

Names of Designer and all contributors: Gamer_2k4

Critics, commence with the comments!

NEXT TIME:
Image Avatar of Dreams

Get ready!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:58 pm

OMG This angel is amazing! I don't know what to say. I liked pretty much everything about it. It can disable any offense and defense and can melt through anything directly and passively. A winner in my book. Best so far! :thumbsup:

Sorry Irken. :ehh:
MyAnimeList

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 am

That's rather elegant... very streamlined and deadly. I certainly don't envy NERV having to rely on an unleashed EVA playing a game of catch with a ball of plasma in the dark.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:47 am

wow. that is awesome. very simple and effective at what it wants to do.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm

My thoughts before the next Angel is presented:

I will echo the statements made by others and say that it is a very simple and elegant form: instead of attempting to make a very gaudy (and thus ungainly) creature, you opted for a more humble and efficient design. It does what it does best without any unnecessary add-ons or sad attempts to promote itself.

I'd like to know a little more about its personal background/personality (like how logical it can really be) and as to what logic it used in its decision to bring about Adam or Lilith's power?

I also wonder how well it can fare against other Angels, who don't possess electronic equipment per se but may carry similar features? Without meticulous planning on its part, it runs the risk of being overpowered if it were to work alone. So, if were to work with a partner Angel, who would it work with and how?

If changes were to be made to this Angel in the future, they would be likely to be simply cosmetic: perhaps its design can be made even more elegant or ethereal and its abilities more dramatic.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Erikael, the Angel of Nature by Avatar of Dreams

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:08 am

On to the next one!

SEPTEMBER 5
Image Avatar of Dreams

Given title: Erikael, the Angel of Nature
Estimated size: Comparable to that of an Evangelion Unit (not including external shell)
Class ranking: B-rank (I guess lol)
Type: Botanical (closest thing I could think of)

References:
The Angel is dedicated to and named for Erika, my ex-girlfriend, who loved plants.
Design is based on [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_fly_trap[/url]
Art inspired by the Final Fantasy series

Physical Description:

Side view of seed coating

Top view of seed coating

The Angel inhabits the seed at the beginning of its lifespan, from the point in which it lands at its selected destination, to when it is fully grown within the seed.
It is unknown where exactly the seed itself comes from, only that it suddenly appears in orbit of Earth (much like Arael) when it has determined a target. The seed coating itself is strong enough to resist the high levels of temperature reached when entering the atmosphere itself as well as any gases that may prove to be harmful to the Angel. The seed coating also acts as the Angel’s primary method of defense against enemies, a near invincible shield. The cells of the coating that surrounds the Angel act very similar to cells found in humans, capable of separating and replacing dead copies. However, the coating’s cells are able to perform this task at near instantaneous speeds, replacing damaged cells at the microscopic level in mere nanoseconds, and for an infinite number of times as the cells are capable of surpassing the Hayflick Limit.
Upon landing the Angel’s large primary roots are extended from the bottom of the seed and bury themselves deep within the earth, gathering nutrients and anchoring the seed in an upright position to the ground. While the Angel is able to survive on a relatively normal plant diet, its primary objective in selecting a landing area is finding a source of the Angel’s most desirable nourishment, namely LCL. Thus, hypothetically, NERV headquarters would be a potential target for Erikael.

A sketch of Erikael’s potential attack on the Geofront

The Angel’s primary roots are the largest organs within the seed, capable of reaching lengths of several kilometers, long enough to penetrate Terminal Dogma and the LCL plant. The root’s hairs secrete a liquid toxin acidic enough to burn through most metallic alloys, ensuring that few barriers are able to stop the roots from reaching their intended goal. However, while the Angel remains dormant within the seed, the roots are highly vulnerable to enemy fire as they are unable to defend themselves.
While the seed coating remains closed, the Angel itself is invulnerable to enemy attack. Thus the only means to weaken it while it remains within its shell is to disrupt its flow of nutrients i.e. destroying the roots. Once the Angel realizes it is no longer able to sustain itself, it is forced to awaken in a frenzied state.

Erikael’s premature form

When conscious, the Angel opens the seed coating, enabling its offensive abilities. While still confined to the seed due to its inability to survive without it, the Angel still poses a considerable threat to its enemies. Like Sachiel and Zeruel, Erikael utilizes a cross shaped blast as its primary form of attack. And like all other Angels, Erikael possesses its own AT field, though its strength is not as great as it could be while still in a premature form. The ATF can still deflect most conventional weapons but is easily neutralized by an Evangelion Unit’s opposing field.

Erikael showing us that it could at least beat Matariel in a “whose ATF is stronger” contest

While awake, the Angel is able to consciously control the movement of the secondary roots that diverge from the primary ones and efficiently use them as weapons to attack its enemies as well as to protect the primary roots. These roots, unlike their harmless counterparts, are covered in razor sharp hairs that serve the purpose of injecting victims with a poisonous substance capable of disrupting nervous systems as well as inhibiting protein synthesis within organic life forms. Unfortunately, the secondary roots are physically unable to grow even remotely close to the length of the primary roots and thus are only viable to close to mid-range combat. This plus the fact the Angel remains in a near stationary position means it is highly susceptible to long range assault, such as the sniper used to destroy Ramiel.
Lastly, due to the infant-like mind of the pre-mature form of this Angel, it is unable to formulate any strategic offense/defense, relying on pure instinct to survive.

Rei watches as Erikael’s roots cling themselves onto Tokyo 3’s buildings. Erikael’s “mask” is visible (another hypothetical situation)

Note: While theories and predictions have been made of the Angel’s fully grown form, it has never been seen. A good thing it would seem as all calculations have shown that an adult Erikael would be near impossible to stop.

Designer/Artist: Me

Final notes:
-Kudos to anyone who read the previous note and realized it is only a pathetic excuse to not draw/write anymore because I’m lazy.
-I know my description is probably full of holes so go easy on me when picking them out please
-A big thanks to Chowwow for organizing this contest!

You are very welcome, Avatar! I am glad you were able to produce such a product in such short order too! What does everyone think?

NEXT TIME:
devil_eAter

Get ready!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:25 am

:w00t: Wow, just wow. Amazing in every way. This could have easily replaced one of the "monster of the week" angels in the show and the show would have been a lot better for it. The detail in the descriptions is great and the artwork is phenomenal! The concept is great, name fits, story is exceptional, every thing is above par. Great work, man. If you could reproduce this angel in a color version, I would be grateful to see it. Congratulations! :clap:

Wow, these just keep getting better and better! Can't wait for the next one! ^_^
MyAnimeList

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:41 am

*enters thread*

:jawdrop:

:bow:

Simply gorgeous.

Final Fantasy for the win!

I can still think of criticisms, but you have made it as hard as it should be.

The seed coating defense seems a little redundant when considering the AT field that already takes care of that. Good, but maybe it should have a little more distinguishing it from the normal defense.

The seed/plant theme was extremely thorough. i don't honestly know what to say there.

Its attack on the Geofront is unique, a little bit a gestalt of other angel attacks (Ramiel + Sahaquiel), but that's hardly a problem.

It weaknesses are clear, and the variety of "what if's" you came up with area all evocative.

I think that the lack of psychology here was wholly justified, so I will just scratch that off my checklist now.

It certainly is a little more powerful than a B-rank. And more interesting. I can really see it fitting in in the show, and stories with it are... endless! I thank you.

The name, although I understand where it came from, is not exactly its selling point, BTW. But that's just because it doesn't describe the angel to me. Do know, since I don't know your girlfriend, it has less meaning to me than to you.

Lastly, your artwork is extraordinary! I must leave it at that; you, sir, are AWESOME!
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:28 am

:clap:

wow. i wish i could draw to give people better visuals.

BAH! regardless of visuals, this is an amazing piece of work; kudos for Avatar of Dreams!

Return to “Fan Works”