[Fic] Something Different

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

pmkava
Adam

[Fic] Something Different

•      
  •      

Postby pmkava » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:07 pm

i wrote this yesterday when the idea popped into my head. Enjoy.

You may have heard this one. That, years ago, in the deserts of the Middle East, a young man herding goats wandered into a cave to rest. There he stumbled upon a number of jars containing scrolls from centuries past. You may think that he found one in particular that told of the end of the world, of attacks by beings that would come to be called angels. You might think that this scroll found its way into the hands of a secret society known as Seele, that they would hatch a plan to change the world forever. You would be wrong.

That particular part of the Dead Sea Scrolls was never found. There was never an expedition into Antarctica in the year 2000 A.D. The First angel was never found, nor was she or her children ever awakened. The event known as Second Impact never happened.

On the other hand, the people you may connect to these events are real, they exist. These people that you may know live, they’ve met, and some may even have married and had children. One such child is or particular note. A young boy, 14-years old in the year 2015, living with both parents in Tokyo, named Shinji.

Shinji Ikari lay in bed, over sleeping yet again. He didn’t care much for the world around him, so he slept and dreamt of better things, different things. He dreamt of a world that wasn’t like this, one that wasn’t so monotonous, a world that wasn’t so boring. He was tired of the way things were and wanted a change. As he lay in bed dreaming of such a world, thinking of having a beautiful woman by his side, his dreams were interrupted by a sharp pain in his side.

The sharp pain continued through his dream slowly waking him. At first he dreamt that it was the playful tickling of the bikini-clad goddess he was with, slowly changing into something much less fun. As he returned to the land of the waking world, he opened his eyes and saw the cause of the problem face to face, looking it straight in the eyes.

The problem was his younger sister, Rei, sent in to wake him up. It took a second for him to realize just what was going on, but when he did the reaction was priceless. Shocked, he jumped out from under his covers and stood on the bed, shrieking at the top of his lungs and pointing at her like she was some sort of giant bug, a pest, that had creped its way into his room at night to cause some unimaginable horror. In a sense, she was.

“What the hell are you doing in here?!” he screamed

“Mother wanted me to wake you up.” The little girl said, in her somber, emotionless way that freaked most people out. “So I did.”

“Did you have to do it by poking me in the rips?” Shinji leaned against the wall and slumped down into a squatting position on his bed, all the while not taking his eyes off of Rei.

“No.”

“Well, why did you? You could have just let me sleep; I would have got up eventually.”

“I wake you up every morning.” She said, implying that he should be use to this kind of thing by now.

“Yeah… Hey wait, there’s no school today, it’s the first day of summer vacation.”

“Yes.”

“Then, why does mom want me get up?”

“Breakfast,” She said, turning to leave the room.

As she left, Shinji thought of his young sister. Rei was only four years old. There was a ten year difference in age. Their parents decided to wait to have more kids after Shinji had been born so they could focus on their careers. Already she was well behaved, quiet and obedient. She still had a habit of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, usually resulting in someone getting angry. Today she was already in a little dress and cleaned up nice and proper. If she continued to act the way she did, Shinji thought, someday she will get married and make some stereotypical Japanese man, or some dumb foreign Otaku, very happy. He immediately dismissed this thought as being very strange.

He stood up then went to his dresser draws to get his clothes. After getting dressed, he glanced at the calendar. Seeing the date, he realized that there was another importance to this day other then being the start of summer vacation.

“Oh man, she’s going to be in Shibuya today making a public appearance! I’ve got to leave early before the lines get to long.” Shinji rushed to get his things together and bolted for the front door.

“Where do you think you’re going mister!” his mothers commanding voice came from the kitchen that he darted past to leave.

“I was going to go meet up with my friends, it late in the day so their probably already waiting for me.”

Yui Ikari looked at her son with an expression of both caring and concern, “Well they can wait a little longer; you’re going to sit and eat your breakfast.”

Shinji begrudgingly shuffled his feet as he went and took a seat at the dinning room table next to his little sister who was already eating her pancakes. His mother sat a plate of pancakes in front of him.

“I don’t see dad eating with us,” Shinji said angrily.

“Your father left for work early, I made sure that he ate,” Yui said with a hint of regret in her voice.

Shinji’s father, Gendo Ikari, was a workaholic. He was hardly ever home. He had almost nothing to do with Shinji’s life. His Mother, on the other had, was over protective and hardly ever let him do anything with out first knowing every little detail. This annoyed Shinji, but he had no real choice. He knew what was about to happen.

“So what were you planning to do with your friends today?” Yui asked.
“Toji, Kensuke and I were going to go to hang out around Shibuya for a while then go over to Akihabara later. We might pick up a few things.”
“Shibuya,” Yui said smirking, “you planning to go meet your Idol today?”

There was no hiding it, his mother knew every thing he did, every little detail of his life. She knew that Shinji took a particular interest in this particular idol. She also watched the news and had no doubt heard about the appearance today. Shinji sighed, “Yeah…”

“Well, I have an important meeting to go too. They university is changing the curriculum. I have to go see Professor Fuyutsuki to see how this will impact my work there.”

Shinji knew his mothers work as a professor at the university was very time consuming, but he failed to see what it had to do with him today. “So, what is it you need me to do?”

“I couldn’t get a babysitter, could you watch Rei?”

“What!” Shinji blurted out.

“I need you to…”

"I heard you, but why?” Shinji asked. “I don’t really think I can its going to be crowded, something bad could…”

“I trust you Shinji,” Yui said, leaning down to give him a kiss on the cheek, “now finish your breakfast if you want to see your friends.”

Shinji ate the rest of his pancakes, and then he and his sister Rei left to go meet up with Shinji’s friends Toji and Kensuke. They were his only friends; Shinji didn’t get along well with the other kids at school. That was the way he liked it. Its not that they weren’t all nice people; to Shinji they just seemed artificial. So Shinji kept a close circle of only a few friends. He met up them at the train station.

“Hey, Shinji,” Kensuke waved to him, before seeing his little companion, “umm… why do you have your sister?”

“My mom couldn’t get a babysitter, so she’s using me as one.”

“No offence,” Kensuke whispered to Shinji as he leaned in close, “your sisters kind of freaky. I mean, just look at her.

Kensuke was right. Rei suffered from a rare skin condition similar to albinism that affected her pigments. Her skin was pale white, her hair a light blue color, and her eyes, the most strikingly odd part about her, were red. Growing up with her, Shinji had gotten used to her odd appearance. Despite her strangeness, Shinji loved her the way any brother would.

“Kensuke,” he said, “don’t be that way. Hey, where’s Toji?”

“Oh, he couldn’t make it; he and the class rep had plans.”

“Wait, Toji and Hikari…are on a date, right now?”

“Yeah, but you didn’t hear it from me. They don’t really want people knowing about them this early on.” Kensuke said jokingly.

“Well, that’s his loss. Come on we got to get on the train to Shibuya.” Shinji said.

“Actually,” Kensuke mumbled, “I was going to go to Akihabara.”

“Why, man, we’ve been waiting for this for weeks?”

“My favorite shop got in some new merchandise, and I’ve been looking to replace my broken pellet gun.”

“Alright,” Shinji sighed, “get going you military otaku. I’ll see you some other time.” As Kensuke left, Shinji turned to Rei, who had been waiting quietly. “Alright, let’s get the tickets.”

“Ok.” She said softly.

Shinji got the two tickets and they boarded the train for the Shibuya district. The ride there was uneventful. Sitting around them were a long haired man with a guitar strapped to his back listening to some metal, a man with thick glasses reading a manga tankobon, and a short, young lady trying to conceal the fact that she was reading a lesbian romance novel. The train came to their stop, and Shinji and Rei went straight to the store in the Harajuku area where the idol was making her appearance. They got in line, which was already getting long, and Shinji looked up at the banner over the Shops Sign that read: “Today only, meet the Idol Misato Katsuragi!”

He had been waiting for this moment for so long. It started after he saw her pictures in a gravure Magazine that a boy at his school had snuck in. She immediately caught his eye. Reading her profile added to his teenage fantasy, especially her measurements. He knew them in both metric and imperial: 83cm by 59cm by 82cm, 33”- 23”-32”. With her being 163cm (5’ 4”) tall, those numbers gave her a curvy figure. Men liked her for her looks and women liked her for her fashion sense, but Shinji liked her more for personality.

Unlike most of the girls and women Shinji knew, who were meek and obedient, Miss Katsuragi wasn’t. She was strong willed. She knew what she wanted and she went after it. She liked instant foods, like Raman noodles, not fancy Sushi and sashimi dishes. She drank Yebichu brand beer, which could be a problem, but he could overlook that, because it set her apart from the rest.

He didn’t like the girls at his school; he didn’t want to date any of them. It’s wasn’t that any of them weren’t cute; Shinji just saw them as being all the same. He couldn’t understand why so many Japanese men wanted that kind of woman. He saw it as being boring. He was tired of everything being the same, he wanted something different. That difference was Misato.

“What are you, stupid? The lines moving, hurry up!” the female voice came with a quick push from behind.

“Hey, watch what you’re…” Shinji turned to look at the aggressor and fiery red-head, a Caucasian girl a little taller the he was, starring him down. She was a foreigner. She wore a yellow sundress and had her hair clipped by fancy looking red clips. Her blue eyes shown brightly in the sunlight but had a look of anger in them. She was something different.

“Well,” She said, “are you going to move?” The anger in her voice seemed to wane as she looked at his face.

“Right,” he said, turning around and moving ahead, pulling Rei along. He continued moving ahead in the line, turning back to catch a glimpse of the foreigner. He wondered why a girl her age as in line. He didn’t see any other girls his age in line. As he got closer he saw a glimpse of Misato, wearing a low-cut black dress, signing autographs and taking pictures. “We’re almost there.”

“Nice.” Rei spoke under her breath.

Right when the pair were about to meet the Idol of Shinji’s dreams, the girl behind them burst forward squealing, “Misato!”

The idol turned to look at the girl and a look of surprise came across her face. “Asuka, Asuka Langley Soryu, is that you?”

“Yeah it’s me, I’ve really grown up haven’t I, and my figures filling out. When you called and said you would be here I had to come.” The girl, Asuka said.

“Oh, I’ve wanted to visit you since I heard that you moved into town, to reminisce. It’s been a long time. Ever since I hit it big I just haven’t had the time. Being an actress is hard work. All these people complain that I sound too much like the Seiyu for Sailor Moon. On top of that…”

Shinji cut Misato off, “Wait, it was my turn in line.” Shinji ran forward, “How do you…”

Asuka answered, “Her father and my mother worked together for a research company. Misato was my babysitter.”

“Oh, that was so long ago, before I got famous.” Misato said in a heavenly voice. “Why Asuka, I see you got yourself a good looking young man here.”

“What,” She screamed, “we’re not dating. I just met him in line.”

“Sure you did.” Misato giggled.

Shinji stood there gawking in a state of shock until a tug at his shirt sleeve got his attention.

“Is this the woman that you have all the pictures of hanging up on the wall of your room?” Rei asked.

“What was that?” Misato took interest in the little girl.

“My big brother has a wall covered in pictures of you posing in bikinis.” Rei said, embarrassing Shinji in front of everyone around. “All the pictures are very old now.”

“Well, I haven’t posed for gravure photos in a while, not since I moved on to acting.” Misato said, now looking at Shinji. “It must have taken time for you to get a wall full of pictures.”

Shinji said nothing, but his face turned red. Finally he managed to eek out, “can I just get a picture with you and get out of here?”

“I’m not sure,” Misato joked, “what do you plan to do with them?” Shinji got even more embarrassed, if that were really possible at this point. “I was just kidding; you’re a boy, man up.”

“Right.” he said, walking up closer to Misato. She put her arm around his shoulders and smiled for the camera. This shocked Shinji, as he stood perfectly still with a surprised look on his face that was captured forever on film. Misato then took the instant Polaroid picture and signed it: “to Shinji, my #1 fan, Misato.”

Having the picture in hand, Shinji was unsure what to do. Another tug at his shirt sleeve gave him an answer.

“Brother, I have to use the restroom.” Rei said.

“That’s a little problem,” Misato said, “can you go with him to help his sister Asuka? He shouldn’t be going into a girl’s room.” Shinji was again red in the face.

“But I still want to talk Misato,” Asuka whined.

“We’ll get in touch later, I’m still busy here.” Misato said welcoming the next person, who had been waiting in line for a long time already.

Asuka, Shinji and Rei made there way to the girls room. Shinji waited outside as the two girls went in. He didn’t know why but he felt he could trust this Asuka. Asuka, the name was Japanese, but she definitely wasn’t. When she brought his sister back from the bathroom, He asked her.

“Why do you have a Japanese name?”

“That rude, you haven’t even told me your name yet.” She said in return.

“I’m sorry, my names Shinji Ikari. It’s nice to meet you Miss Soryu.”

“You can cal me Asuka. If you must know my mother named me. She was Japanese; my father was a German- American, which is where the Langley comes from.”

“That’s an interesting mix.”

“Yes, well I should head for the train, I should head home.”

“Well,” Shinji said, “Where taking the train home as well. We’ll walk with you to the station.”

“Thanks.” Asuka said smiling.

The three made there way back to the station. They passed a scruffy looking man with his long hair in a pony tail chatting it up with a woman who had a mole on her cheek and a bad die job. They were talking about going to see there old college friend Katsuragi. There walk took them past an arcade and the music from inside sparked Asuka’s attention.

“Hey, they have DDR! Do you want to go play real quick?” she asked Shinji.

“Sure,” he said, “come on Rei.” He dragged his younger sister around.
The two young teens go to the machine and started playing. They both started off pretty badly, but as the songs went on they got better, more in sync with each other. Shinji glanced at her a few times and admired the way she moved. She was graceful. She wasn’t at all shy about the fact that she didn’t start off well, unlike the way some girls he knew would be. She was different alright, in a nice way.

They played a lot longer then they had anticipated, So long so that a line had formed. The first one in line was a tall thin boy, with soft features wearing a ball cap and sunglasses, humming the ode to joy. He stood next to Rei for the longest time before blurting out, “Will you to love birds hurry up already, there are others waiting to play.”

Asuka stopped dancing in the middle of a song, stepped off the machine and walked over to the boy.

“You should watch what you say stupid, you could upset my feelings.” She said as she flicked him in the nose.

The flicked knocked off his sunglasses revealing his face. It was none other then Kaworu Nagisa, teen acting sensation. Japanese school girls couldn’t get enough of his emotional and effeminate acting on a number of TV shows. When the girl in the area saw who it was they all rushed at him forming a big mob, all trying to get a piece of him.

In the confusion, Asuka pulled Shinji and Rei out of the arcade and they headed back to the train station. As they continued there walk, Asuka latched on to Shinji’s arm. Looking at her from head to toe, Shinji noticed that she was more “physically mature” then most girls. She was starting to show some curves. He pictured her in a swimsuit, and had to shake the image out of his head before something embarrassing happened. When the final made it to the station Asuka saw the clock and noticed how late it had gotten.

“You stupid Shinji, my parents are going to be so angry.”

Shinji smiled, “Don’t you have any better insults than to calling a person stupid?”

“It’s appropriate when talking about you”

“Why’s that?”

“Since I met you in line I’ve been dropping all kinds of signals that I was interested in you and yet you did nothing this whole time. You wouldn’t even hold my hand. I had to make all the advances. You weren’t being a man; you didn’t once try to…” She couldn’t finish her rant as Shinji moved in and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. She stood there speechless as Shinji boarded the train with his sister. Another tug at his sleeve alerted him.

“If you’re going to be dating her, how can you keep in touch?”

“That’s easy,” Shinji said producing the picture he had taken with Misato, “the idol wrote Asuka’s Phone number on the back.” Shinji laughed and Rei smiled just a little, as the train took them back home after a day that was something definitely different.
hurm. Meeting with Kaworu Nagisa left bad taste in mouth. Possible Homosexual? must remember to investigate further.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:53 pm

Nice little AU shot. Liked the chibi Rei who's still very much Rei despite her age. AU's with her as Shinji's little sister too often use a RIAO variant.
Romance moved a bit fast from the point the three leave for the train station, but that's not too surprising in a one shot.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:38 pm

Cute one shot. I agree that it was nice how Rei 1 as Shinji's little sister instead of RiAO or something like that.

I really liked this. Misato being an idol was awesome, and I liked the mention of Sailormoon. ;)

Cute A/S moments too.

Overall, nice job!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:49 pm

ChibiRei just made that story!!!

A little fast though, between Shinji and Asuka, I thought. Overall good.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Return to “Fanfiction”