(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 pm

Awesome, so wait, what if I redesigned an Angel to the point of where it is unrecognizable?

Since you said that it would be unrecognizable, I think such a design would be acceptable. I do have to stress, however, that you at least make the Angel's name different and try to adjust it to fit the title and symbolism that you see fit.

Hazukari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hazukari » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:32 pm

Hey am i still good to sign up as a judge?
and also can i still submit a design?

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:13 am

Welcome aboard, friend!

Hmm,
As of July 9th:

Designers:
Gamer_2k4
devil_eAter
Hazukari
TheAyanamiOtaku

Judges:
Hazukari

Not too many people yet. I wonder what else can be done to attract fresh meat? Must I do a song and dance?
Last edited by Chowwow on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 am

Yes. I would be very pleased if you sung "Fly Me To The Moon" while playing a gameboy and hanging upside down. :w00t:

When we enter in our design, may I show a growing process as long as it is all is on the same picture? Like the angel in its infant state up to its full grown, in the order of youngest to oldest? Or may I do only one state of age?
Fred Phelps sucks....

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:48 am

When we enter in our design, may I show a growing process as long as it is all is on the same picture? Like the angel in its infant state up to its full grown, in the order of youngest to oldest? Or may I do only one state of age?

Hmm, a developing Angel?

Brilliant! That would be a great idea!

Seriously, I don't think I placed too many of these restrictions on designs, did I? I just said they had to be your own original work, if I recall.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Chowwow I pledge to join this contest if I can find a suitable artist to my needs. I will be looking for some people on this forum...don't think I'll find any confidants in my friends. I will notify you if I find somebody.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Hm, what exactly is it you need an artist for? I appologize if you already made it clear on the site and I did not find the information on the need.
Fred Phelps sucks....

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:57 am

devil_eAter wrote:Hm, what exactly is it you need an artist for? I appologize if you already made it clear on the site and I did not find the information on the need.

My guess would be to draw a picture of the angel...
Gamer_2k4

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:59 am

But he said "my needs". I felt he was indicating something seperate from the competition, but through the competittion he was in search of a good artist. Of course I could be wrong.
Fred Phelps sucks....

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:21 pm

i am in search of a good artist. i can sketch my angel, but it is inadequate, IMO, for other people's viewing.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 pm

Count me in as a designer. I could also be a possible artist for those who'd need their angel drawn because they can't.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:52 pm

done! I am in.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 pm

done! I am in.

Now we're talking! Welcome aboard guys!

As for drawings, I appreciate that people are trying to put out more professional works. However, perceived drawing deficiencies should not discourage people from entering their design: I would rather have a good overall creative expression than any attempts at professionalism. Just do your best!

As of July 10th:

Designers:
Gamer_2k4
devil_eAter
Hazukari
TheAyanamiOtaku
Omegagouki

Judges:
Hazukari

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:21 pm

I've mentioned before, if anyone actually needs it, I would recommend that people look up and down everywhere and absorb what information comes to them for inspiration for their designs.

I remember a user I met once in IMDB who said that Angels looked a lot like abstract artwork. Looking back I can see what he meant: a lot of the Angels had very interesting and unconventional designs (see Liliel, etc). While I feel that they seem simplistic by today's standards, I think you can see a bit of that abstract tone in the original Angel designs. These things were not your daddy's giant monsters.

That isn't to say that I want people to emulate the original designers and limit themselves to making monsters that were artsy-fartsy ten years ago or H.R. Giger rip-offs. Post modernism, surrealism, abstract art and other weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weird styles are just some of the vast range of things people can look into.

Another source could be, say, a child's imagination perhaps?

Take this drawing of a monster drawn by the seven-year-old girl of one of the people I work with:

Please note the thick and disproportionate limbs and the tubular, jawed mouth. While the untrained eye would see a mess of scribbles, surely the skilled can cull inspiration from this work! Imagine, a disproportionate creature with horrible, ungainly features! How would it move? What dangers does it bring? What the Hell did it do to itself to make it look like that?!

Imagine what other kinds of horrors lurk within a kid's mind - like the following!

Afterwards, the same seven-year-old girl proceeded to draw me twice: one where I'm wearing a bikini and another with a short skirt and a bun on my head:

Please note the artist's depiction of my grotesque body hair and webbed feet in the former, and my frog-like head and terrible fashion sense in the latter. These are surely the most accurate representations of myself that anyone in the Internet will ever see!

So there you have it: though you have a specific goal, you can find inspiration anywhere you go! From military technology, human and animal biology and behavior, and architecture, to literature, video games, anime, music, good trips, bad trips ... eh you get the point.

To be specific, ask yourselves some fundamental questions. How do certain pieces of music make you feel? How do they make you move? What about animals: what do birds and bees do when they fight each other? Maybe military tech is your thing: what natural mechanical processes can be used to simulate your favorite weapons?

Or maybe you're looking at your little sister's doodles: why does the world suck?
Last edited by Chowwow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 am

I'm in as a designer, collaborating with Rhyno. Team New Guys is go!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Chowwow: I like how you're making this into something were we analytically think about things; are you doing anything with teaching by any chance? I get that vibe from you. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, I am interested in doing this the more I think about it, the only thing is I don't know if I should be marked down as tentative or not (I'm somewhat worried I'd come up with something that totally sucks). You can sign me up with actually participating and if something changes for some reason I'll just let you know here. That's okay, right?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:08 pm

I'll be a judge.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 am

Aww right!

As of July 16th:

Designers:
    Gamer_2k4
    devil_eAter
    Hazukari
    TheAyanamiOtaku
    Team New Guys (NemZ and Rhyno)
    Sailor Star Dust

Judges:
    Hazukari
    flatulant

@ flatulant: Thank you for your participation, flatulant *snicker*, I'll be sure to keep in touch!

@ Sailor Star Dust: Teaching? Well, not exactly mein fraulein, but I'm simply trying to make this as much of a supportive and free, yet structured, environment as possible. Somehow I have to make this fun while trying to convince everyone to churn out their honest, best work. I also just want people to think about the little things and find their creative spark - and not be afraid to bring that out.

Anyway, I would be greatly humbled if you could join us and grace us with more of your talents, Miss SSD. Don't worry about winning anything; I will appreciate whatever you can deliver. And, if you still have doubts about finding ideas, keep looking at this thread and I will throw around a few more of my "lessons" for you all to hear.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 am

Let me discuss for a minute about characterizing and humanizing Angels before this thread falls into the second page.

It's natural for authors to paint a human face on an inhuman creature, as we see everyday with our anthropomorphisized characters in our TV and cereal boxes (let's mention furries in passing and move on, shall we?). After all, it's much easier to sympathize with something like us - human - even if its supposed to be something that is, by nature, most inhuman.

But if you take logic into account, isn't it audacious of us to presume or impose human qualities onto other living (and some cases non-living) things? That we measure the worth of other creatures based on humanity?

The point to these questions is whether or not one should (or find it logical) to characterize their Angel like a dramatic, emotional, psychological, yet predictable human being, something more animal-like, or something more mysterious.

Perhaps the most important element that can be used to identify the character of the Angel is to decide what it wants to do with Third (or any) Impact. To figure what that means, we have to know what Third Impact does - essentially give the controller the capacity to do anything within the limits of their imagination. It's the power to control one's destiny, to have what one's heart desires, to mold the Earth to one's will, or to have a second chance. It's also the power to completely screw up, forfeit everything one didn't know they still had, and hasten the self-destruction of an individual.

Those who opt to characterize their Angels as simpler beasts, creatures unhindered by things such as emotion and morals, might want to think about why such a thing would be compelled into pursuing the power of Third Impact. Why would a creature that is seemingly perfect by itself (with unlimited energy, immortality, and seemingly no need to reproduce) want with something that provides it unheard of (even redundant) levels of power? Further, can it even comprehend what that power can really do?

For a more human creature, the benefits of Third Impact are clearly seductive. While one could probably guess what a human or human-like being would probably wish for with such power, what that being does specifically with it speaks for the character of that individual. Taking it a step further, the Angel's plans for this prize (if it is capable of such scheming) could be very complex depending on its specific desires, mental tendencies, and life experiences.

Realizing that I have only said things that anyone else could have said with fewer words, I'll drop this one other tool.

For those choosing to make a human-esque Angel but are having a bit of trouble defining a unique personality of their character (for whatever reason), then I'd like to suggest something that is typically frowned upon in the world of fandom of anything: base the beast on the beast within failed attempt at alliteration here.

Now, we know that self-inserts in anything tend to threaten the tone of the original story by warping the atmosphere of the plot around the character as well as creating a point of narcissism and undeserved self-importance. It's really easy to fall into this trap, especially if you haven't done something like this before or you are not like our colleague here Bobbq.

However, it's typically seen in many works of fiction because we want to have deep, complex individuals in our stories and we tend to see ourselves as deep, complex individuals and others as caricatures. So it's easy to find material for characterization by asking ourselves what we would do if we were in the character's shoes. The problem is, we are not in the character's shoes, and we are not in his world.

Aside from keeping in mind NGE's tone, one could subvert this characterization tool by keeping it more specific and minimize its prevalence. One way is to essentially base the character on a piece of your personality or a quirk of your character of your choosing. That way, it isn't fully you, just something that you can identify with.

But that isn't enough; try adding other things and bring some kick to this recipe. What if you were not limited by your morals or other drives that hold you back? What if your qualities were more exaggerated? What if you were angrier, more desperate, sadder, or more excited? What if you were less funny, or kind, or smart, or weak? Or maybe, what if you were being true to yourself, and you were none of the masks that you put on yourself everyday to go along with everybody? What if all you cared about was... well, you get the point?

So maybe if you tapped into that spirit within yourself, doused it and mutated it with other qualities, allowed that throbbing mass of whatever to mature and pupate, and let that thing hatch, then, I dunno, maybe you'll have something there.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:28 pm

Ok then, less than 1 month to go! I hope everyone has been busy (I sure as hell have been...)!

As of August 3rd:

Designers:
    Gamer_2k4
    devil_eAter
    Hazukari
    TheAyanamiOtaku
    Omegagouki
    Team New Guys (NemZ and Rhyno)
    Sailor Star Dust

Judges:
    Hazukari
    flatulant

We have a pretty good line-up so far, but it's still not too late to join!

Hmm, and I wonder what Miss Reichu has decided yet?

Return to “Fan Works”