Kaworu Nagisa and his intentions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
konnor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby konnor » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:20 pm

just a lil bit off topic but how long was kaworu with NERV?
god came up to me and had more questions than i did

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:52 pm

konnor wrote:just a lil bit off topic but how long was kaworu with NERV?

It appears to be about 36 hours. (In the Anime, that is. In the Manga they introduce him the equivalent of 2 episodes earlier.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

konnor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby konnor » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:19 pm

thewayneiac wrote:

It appears to be about 36 hours. (In the Anime, that is. In the Manga they introduce him the equivalent of 2 episodes earlier.)

aha! death and rebirth tells this differently

in the start just before kaworu dies the screens sub says 18 months earlier, its the rehearsal.

Asuka, Rei, Shinji andkaworu enter explain that one!

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:21 pm

konnor wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:

aha! death and rebirth tells this differently

in the start just before kaworu dies the screens sub says 18 months earlier, its the rehearsal.

Asuka, Rei, Shinji andkaworu enter explain that one!

There is no way to explain the unexplainable. The "rehearsal" scenes from Death are outside the Evangelion continuity. When Kaworu shows up in Ep. 24, Shinji has plainly never met him before (they have to introduce themselves). At this point Asuka is already in a coma, and was still in that state at the start of EOE; thus she never met Kaworu, much performed in a string quartet with him. Plus, the show's time-line takes place over less than a year, so Kaowru couldn't have been there 18 months earlier. The quartet scenes are just there to link the scenes from the series together, and perhaps their playing in harmony is supposed to be some sort of metaphor for instrumentality.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:54 pm

I think after much reading of this thread I have remembered somthing very important. Eva has plenty of flaws. :lol:

I think with out realizing it at the time I started a thread to examin one of the more flawed portions of the show. kaworu was ment to show up a lot ealier then he did but got pushed back to ep24.

Looking at the manga its clear that thier his intentions are clear. That kaworu is Seele's agent intent on betraying the other members of the cast. > and a kitty killer ;P <

In the anime we see his as stated before a total of 13 minutes one of which he's waiting for Shinji to crush him. Not enough time IMHO to figure out for sure whats going on in that pale head of his.

I think its time to say not enough data and jump ship.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:54 pm

thewayneiac wrote:There is no way to explain the unexplainable. The "rehearsal" scenes from Death are outside the Evangelion continuity.

Not to mention they are students living in Tokyo-2.

Plus, the show's time-line takes place over less than a year

One chronological clue Death provides: 9 months between Asuka's attempt to seduce Kaji (pre-episode #08) and Kaji and Misato finally making whoopie again (end of #20).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

konnor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby konnor » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:55 am

apparently that rehearsal scene was in another dimension
one of the possibilities that could have happened

meh maybe anno could use that excuse if he ever wnated to continue with eva

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:00 am

Reichu wrote:One chronological clue Death provides: 9 months between Asuka's attempt to seduce Kaji (pre-episode #08) and Kaji and Misato finally making whoopie again (end of #20).
I agree with MDWigs that one should simply disregard all the chronological cues given in Death; I don't think any of them make any sense...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:29 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I agree with MDWigs that one should simply disregard all the chronological cues given in Death; I don't think any of them make any sense...

What's wrong with the 9-month figure? Aside from the rehearsal date, which cues don't make sense?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:55 pm

thewayneiac wrote:There is no way to explain the unexplainable. The "rehearsal" scenes from Death are outside the Evangelion continuity. When Kaworu shows up in Ep. 24, Shinji has plainly never met him before (they have to introduce themselves). At this point Asuka is already in a coma, and was still in that state at the start of EOE; thus she never met Kaworu, much performed in a string quartet with him. Plus, the show's time-line takes place over less than a year, so Kaowru couldn't have been there 18 months earlier. The quartet scenes are just there to link the scenes from the series together, and perhaps their playing in harmony is supposed to be some sort of metaphor for instrumentality.

I really don't know how anyone could mistake those 'quartet' scenes for anything other than just pure filler/metaphor - they are so obviously not events which have literally taken place that I'm quite shocked to see them brought up in a serious debate. I don't personally think that those scenes have any meaning whatsoever. I'm totally with you on this one, Wayne, and I'm stunned that not everyone seems to share this view.
Natsukashii, ne?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:18 pm

Soluzar wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:There is no way to explain the unexplainable. The "rehearsal" scenes from Death are outside the Evangelion continuity. When Kaworu shows up in Ep. 24, Shinji has plainly never met him before (they have to introduce themselves). At this point Asuka is already in a coma, and was still in that state at the start of EOE; thus she never met Kaworu, much performed in a string quartet with him. Plus, the show's time-line takes place over less than a year, so Kaowru couldn't have been there 18 months earlier. The quartet scenes are just there to link the scenes from the series together, and perhaps their playing in harmony is supposed to be some sort of metaphor for instrumentality.

I really don't know how anyone could mistake those 'quartet' scenes for anything other than just pure filler/metaphor - they are so obviously not events which have literally taken place that I'm quite shocked to see them brought up in a serious debate. I don't personally think that those scenes have any meaning whatsoever. I'm totally with you on this one, Wayne, and I'm stunned that not everyone seems to share this view.

The commentary could be partly to blame. I seem to recall AWL claiming that it's possible to prove the quartet scenes actually happened.

Edit: Just watched the relevant part of the commentary, and it was actually T. Jaffe that made this ridiculous claim, not AWL.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:33 am

thewayneiac wrote:
The commentary could be partly to blame. I seem to recall AWL claiming that it's possible to prove the quartet scenes actually happened.

Edit: Just watched the relevant part of the commentary, and it was actually T. Jaffe that made this ridiculous claim, not AWL.

I wonder how could Jaffe prove this?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Reichu wrote:
Shin-seiki wrote:I agree with MDWigs that one should simply disregard all the chronological cues given in Death; I don't think any of them make any sense...

What's wrong with the 9-month figure? Aside from the rehearsal date, which cues don't make sense?

Becuase it means that the end of episode 20 takes place sometime after February 2016 (9 months ish after episode 8), which we know it didn't (among other things in EoE we see its still 2015).

Sorry for stupidly long absense. I found myself a job and a girlfriend ^_^
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:13 pm

MDWigs wrote:
Reichu wrote:

Becuase it means that the end of episode 20 takes place sometime after February 2016 (9 months ish after episode 8 ), which we know it didn't (among other things in EoE we see its still 2015).

Hmm. That would do it. :lol:

I don't suppose it's too important to know the timeframe in most of NGE, so it's not like these inconsistencies spoil the show. I think it's quite possible to ignore them without losing out on anything much.

Sorry for stupidly long absense. I found myself a job and a girlfriend ^_^

Congratulations on both! I hope the job's something you're enjoying, and that you get some satisfaction out of. Does that mean that the absence is now coming to an end? ;)
Natsukashii, ne?

Sectre01
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sectre01 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:16 pm

I hope your girlfriend is something you're enjoying as well.

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:21 am

Soluzar:

I don't suppose it's too important to know the timeframe in most of NGE, so it's not like these inconsistencies spoil the show. I think it's quite possible to ignore them without losing out on anything much.

I agree. Gainax took a lot of liberties on things like this in order to expedite the narrative without getting bogged down in continuity details. They removed the seasons and most of the direct references to time because they didn't want to have to worry about them. They changed the size of the Evas to fit specific events and episodes. That being said, I still think much of the show is very carefully crafted, it is just that some issues were considered less than important compared to the main goal of telling the story.

Congratulations on both! I hope the job's something you're enjoying, and that you get some satisfaction out of. Does that mean that the absence is now coming to an end? Wink

Well I now have to start the long process of moving house. Uprooting myself from Nottingham and settling up in Liverpool. All this while waiting for my working visa to come through (I'm currently working on my student visa but that expires at the end of March). So I think it will be at least another month yet before I can refocus my attention back to Eva. There is so much I want to talk about and catch up on though that I am sure to be back.

Sectre01:

I hope your girlfriend is something you're enjoying as well.

^_^ Yeah she is. She makes me very happy.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:32 pm

Do tell if we've covered this before but i had another idea on this topic last night.

Was kaworu Naive ?

The way seemingly does not realize that killing him would hurt Shinji.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:41 am

DatDude wrote:Do tell if we've covered this before but i had another idea on this topic last night.

Was kaworu Naive ?

The way seemingly does not realize that killing him would hurt Shinji.

Judging from his philoshophical quotes i don't think he is naive..i believe that Kaworu realised that Shinji was hurt by killing him but it was good for the rest of the world..
Afterall someone always must be hurted in order to gain something..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”