Anno on Disney's release of Nausicaä

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Anno on Disney's release of Nausicaä

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:41 am

Disney's release of Nausicaä will feature a documentary amount Studio Ghibli and their formation, and how the film came to be made. Some is re-enacted as I understand, and Hideaki Anno makes an appearance, and some Evangelion footage also accompanies him.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:17 pm

Ooooooh. But what do Anno and Eva have to do with Studio Ghibli?
Close your eyes and listen hard

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:39 pm

Anno was one of the animators for Nausicaa, for one thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:48 pm

Well... I guess you learn something new every day. :roll: I seriously had no idea he ever worked on any Ghibli films...

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:34 pm

@Ayanami: Do you have a high res pic of your avatar? I remember I once saw that pic in a poster selling site, and I really loved it (although it's a bit creepy, took some minutes to find out why), but never found it in a normal quality.

It does take a while to know why it's creepy.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:22 pm

The picture in your post doesn't work AchtungAffen.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:43 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:@Ayanami: Do you have a high res pic of your avatar?

In the future, please use the board's PM feature, it is a much more effective way of communicating between members about stuff like this.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:43 am

Sorry for the OT'ness. Won't do it again, after this last line:

The pic works, it's just the server was overloaded by that time. T'should be working now, or with a little 5 minute patience.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Hand of God » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:43 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:@Ayanami: Do you have a high res pic of your avatar? I remember I once saw that pic in a poster selling site, and I really loved it (although it's a bit creepy, took some minutes to find out why), but never found it in a normal quality.

what do you meen some time?just in one sec I see Ayanami like Lillith and Eva 01 berserker
the world is just a sick and twisted place

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:11 pm

Sorry for keeping this off-topic, but...

:D YAY! The Sigillum Dei Aemeth! :D

Ahem, okay.

The actual topic of this thread doesn't seem to be making quite as big a splash as it did in the ANF. Curious.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:52 pm

Hand of God wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:@Ayanami: Do you have a high res pic of your avatar? I remember I once saw that pic in a poster selling site, and I really loved it (although it's a bit creepy, took some minutes to find out why), but never found it in a normal quality.

what do you meen some time?just in one sec I see Ayanami like Lillith and Eva 01 berserker

Xcept for the spinal cord and eaten bowels (or eaten they seem). That's the gory part that took me some time to figure out.
My List @ AniDB

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Well, for the sake of staying on-topic, I'll say that this is exciting news, and all the more reason for me to go out and rent Nausicaa when it comes out.

P.S. Yes, the goryness of that pic is... pretty scary. Took me a minute to realize that was Rei's SPINE protruding from the remaining half of her body. o_o

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:53 pm

Ayanami wrote:Well... I guess you learn something new every day. :roll: I seriously had no idea he ever worked on any Ghibli films...

Oh, yeah. Even to this day they're good friends. It's my understanding Anno directed a short film on the history of flight that shows at visitors to the Ghibli Museum, and Miyazaki gave the speech at Anno's wedding reception.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:47 pm

The documentary is pretty good, the section about Anno is rather brief, but about a critical point in Nausicaa's production. It provides an interesting insight into the boldness of Anno's personality. Aside from that, the featurette is rather motivating to collect Miyazaki/Ghibli stuff.

Another interesting note is that Anno also did the audio commentary for the recent Japanese Director's Cut/Remastered/Special Edition/Anniversary (?) release of Nausicaa. I wish that had made it onto the DVD. Considering that its Disney though, I'm not surprised. At least they didn't edit it or release it dubbed only.

Commentary on the actual film (particularly Anno's animation) to come, once I find time to watch it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:49 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Another interesting note is that Anno also did the audio commentary for the recent Japanese Director's Cut/Remastered/Special Edition/Anniversary (?) release of Nausicaa. I wish that had made it onto the DVD.

I wish he did audio commentary for his own brainchildren!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:57 pm

Yeah, but even if he did, we would prolly never get it in english anyway. I have to work harder on my Japanese!

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:59 pm

Reichu wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:Another interesting note is that Anno also did the audio commentary for the recent Japanese Director's Cut/Remastered/Special Edition/Anniversary (?) release of Nausicaa. I wish that had made it onto the DVD.

I wish he did audio commentary for his own brainchildren!

On LOVELINE, Dr. Drew refers to that as "re-traumatizing yourself."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:44 pm

Carl Horn wrote:On LOVELINE, Dr. Drew refers to that as "re-traumatizing yourself."

I would refer to it as "Giving in".

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”