[Fic] One-Shot: Shinji's 14th Birthday (rebuild)

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

[Fic] One-Shot: Shinji's 14th Birthday (rebuild)

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 pm

Foreward: This is loosely based on a discarded idea from the Proposal, and I decided to turn it into a one-shot while I prepared to begin Rebuild 2.0. It also gave me a chance to write something fairly light-hearted and have a little fun before I embarked on my next endeavor. (I also wanted something to do while I sat in class, bored)

For those of you who actually care about continuity, this would go between 1.45 and 1.5.

Well, here we go.

ONE SHOT: Shinji’s 14th Birthday

“Shinji-kun, wake up! You’ve got synch tests in an hour!” Misato called.

I was already awake. I hadn’t been able to sleep all last night, knowing what day it was today. I always dreaded this day; it was always feeble hope followed by crushing disappointment. So I just stopped hoping, and started dreading. At least that way I wouldn’t be disappointed.

I rose slowly out of bed and dressed myself. It didn’t matter much if I was late; I was their star pilot, destroyer of Angels. No matter how much I was lectured, they couldn’t do anything to me, in case it affected my performance.

Let’s just get it over with…

I opened my door and dragged my feet into the kitchen. Misato sat at the table, a Yebisu beer in hand, already dressed for once. A broad grin slid over her face when she saw me.

She knows…

“Happy birthday, Shinji-kun!” she said happily.

I forced a weak smile and muttered a “thank you” before sitting down at the table.

“Something wrong?” Misato asked cheerfully, taking another drink of her beer.

“No, nothing…I’m just tired…” I muttered.

Figures she’d know, his people know everything about me…

“Really, Shin-chan,” I winced at my nickname, “You need to come up with a better excuse. Everyone knows that when a teenager says ‘nothing,’ ‘something,’ is bothering them. So…what’s up?”

Of course…can’t she take a hint?

“No, really, Misato-san, it’s nothing. Let’s go.”

Misato frowned at me and made a disapproving noise. In true Misato fashion, however, she brightened up immediately.

“Well, it’s nothing a nice party can’t cheer up!” she said brightly.

A…party? For…me?

“Misato-san, you don’t have to…”

She frowned at me again, and replied adamantly. “No, no, no. I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer! Now let’s go, or you’ll be late!”

She grabbed me by the wrist, yanked me out of my chair, and rushed me out the door.

The warm feeling of the LCL enveloped me as I connected to the test plug. This was the first time practicing in a plug not connected to an Eva, but at least at first, it didn’t feel any different.

Although, now that I think about it, something’s missing. I can’t place it, but something feels…off.

“Beginning third-stage connection,” Maya announced. The familiar colours swirled around me as the final connection was established. I closed my eyes and rested, losing myself in the warmth.

“Data collection commencing,” Aoba continued.

I had found previously that when I made a conscious effort to synch, my scores dropped. So I simply allowed myself to relax and forget everything. When I did just that, I felt more in-synch with my Eva, and it showed in the data.

“Lowering plug depth another .2,” Hyuga said.

The mechanisms whirred, and the plug moved slightly lower. It was suspended above a pool of uncharged LCL, with the bottom of the plug submerged.

As the plug lowered, it became more difficult to relax, and I felt a familiar pressure in the back of my head. I winced, but I forced myself to relax. I couldn’t disappoint then, especially not HIM. Especially not today.

As I thought this, the pain in my head receded some. I was able to relax a bit.

After about ten more minutes, Ritsuko’s voice came in over the speaker.

“OK, Shinji-kun, you’re finished. Good work.”

I opened my eyes. The plug rose out of the LCL pool and allowed me to exit. I quickly walked to the room where the technical workers monitored the test. I looked up at Ritsuko expectantly.

“How were my test scores, Ritsuko-san?”

She smiled at me.

“Your score’s gone up two points!” she said brightly, “Good work, Shinji-kun.”

I…I did it!

“Th…thank you, Ritsuko-san!”

I smiled happily for a bit, before I turned to walk away. As I neared the door, I heard her voice again.

“Oh, and…Shinji-kun?”

I turned.

“Happy birthday.”

I was walking down the hallway, having just left the changing room, feeling strangely buoyant. Misato was waiting for me at the top floor, so we could head home. The elevators were at the end of the hall.

I heard a ping come from the elevator, and the doors opened. The man inside stepped out and walked down the hall, towards me. He walked straight past me and made for the door at the other end of the hall.

“Father…” I muttered.

He stopped. I turned to face him, almost expectantly. I stood there, looking at him, unable to see his eyes through his tinted glasses.

“Do you need something?” he asked shortly.

“Um…” I began, awkwardly. Not only was what I was about to ask an awkward question at the best times, but I didn’t even know why I was talking to him. Being acknowledged by Misato and Ritsuko must have made me hopeful or something.

“Er, father…do you…” I continued slowly.

“Spit it out,” he ordered.

I gulped. I regretted even opening my mouth.

“Do you happen to…er…know…what day it is?” I asked tentatively.

He smirked.

“It’s Sunday. Don’t bother me with such trivial matters, I’m on my way to a meeting,” he replied, irritated.

He turned and walked away. Tears welled up in my eyes. I fought them back, and walked slowly to meet up with Misato.

We were walking along the hallway to Misato’s apartment. I hadn’t spoken a word since I had run into my father. Misato seemed to have taken the hint, and didn’t try to engage me in the usual conversation. She seemed to have forgotten entirely about a party.

Why did I expect today to be any different? Why would he have any reason to care, or even remember? And why, WHY, did I think it would be different just because someone wished me a happy birthday…happy birthday…

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t notice that we were standing in front of the door. Misato unlocked it and we walked inside.

The first thing I noticed was that the lights were off. Nerv paid for Misato’s electricity; as such, she never bothered to turn off her lights. Then I noticed something else; something far more shocking. The place was clean! All of Misato’s trash had been put into bags which were laid hastily against the wall, as if whoever had done the cleaning had been in a hurry. But Misato didn’t pay for a cleaning service; Nerv considered it an unnecessary expense and as such, refused to pay for one. Strangest of all, I heard a strange rustling coming from all over the house.

What’s going on here…?

The door closed abruptly, and the lights clicked on.

“What the…?”

Seven bodies leaped out from every conceivable place and somehow all ended up right in front of me, crying “Surprise!”

I gasped. Standing in front of me were the figures of Toji; Kensuke; the Class Rep, Hikari; Ritsuko; Maya; Aoba; and Hyuga. Rei was there as well, standing off in the corner, looking confused.

“Happy birthday, Shinji-kun!” everyone except Rei cried.

“Everyone…everyone’s here! Even Ayanami…” I stammered.

They…all came? For me…? Why?

Tears formed in my eyes, and I began to cry, unsure of the reason why.

“Man, it was supposed to be a surprise, but come on! Ya look as if your girlfriend just told ya she was pregnant or something!” Toji said incredulously.

Kensuke, Hyuga and Aoba chuckled, while all of the females glared at him.

“That’s not funny, Suzuhara!” Hikari said in her usual commanding tone.

“Come on, guys, ease up! It’s a party!” Misato said as she walked to the front of the group.

“Misato-san…did you do all this? For me?” I asked, still in shock.

“Yep! Now come on, let’s eat! I even bought real food for the occasion!”

Hyuga, Aoba, Maya, and Ritsuko all breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thank God,” Ritsuko sighed.

Misato glared at her.

“What’s that supposed to mean? You don’t like my normal food?”

“Now, now, come on. Let’s eat!” Hyuga said, caught between the two.

Once the fighting was finally calmed down, the party began. The boys (and Misato) all gorged themselves on food until they were sick. Kensuke and Toji couldn’t keep their eyes off of the girls, especially Misato, although Kensuke told me in private that he secretly found Maya cuter, but that Misato was more of a woman. Ritsuko refrained from smoking during the party, chewing nicotine gum after the meal instead. The adults all managed to down half of Misato’s refrigerator-full of beer. Toji was able to sneak one at one point, although he threw it away after it had barely touched his lips, wondering how adults could stand that horrible taste. Misato told him that it was all in pretending it didn’t taste at all, which confused Kensuke and Toji. I noticed that Hikari would constantly steal glances at Toji, presumably to check if he was misbehaving; although Hyuga seemed to be doing the same thing with Misato, and oddest of all, Maya with Ritsuko.

After the food was finished, everyone brought out presents, much to my embarrassment. Between stammered thanks, I was able to unwrap my presents. From Ritsuko, I received a laptop computer. Hyuga presented me with a bunch of games for the computer. Aoba gave me a few tapes for my SDAT, including the albums “Vanishing Vision” and “Blue Blood” by X Japan, and “Sol-fa” by Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Hikari frowned at the album cover for “Vanishing Vision,” saying it was inappropriate for a 14 year old boy, but Aoba and Misato both protested, raving about how good their music was. Maya gave me a 10,000¥ gift Visa, apologizing for not knowing what it get me. I assured her it was OK, but she still felt like apologizing. From Rei, I received a book titled “A Brief History of Time,” by an American physicist named Stephen Hawking, and as if to apologize for something so heavy, she also presented me with “The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy,” by Douglas Adams. She told me that “Makoto-san” had recommended it, and that it was of the utmost importance that I find my towel as soon as I could. I just laughed.

Much to the agony of Toji and Kensuke, Hikari promised me that, as my gift, she would let me skip school on any day of my choice and that she would cover for me. Once he calmed down, Kensuke presented me with a scale action figure of Gurren-Lagann, Arc-Gurren-Lagann, Chouginga Gurren-Lagann, and Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, claiming that they were “the manliest robots in existence, no offense to the Evangelions,” and that their pilot, Simon, and his “aniki,” Kamina, were, “the manliest badasses ever conceived.” I took his word for it, although they were, admittedly, quite awesome. Toji didn’t give me his present right away, but when he thought no one was looking, he slipped me some “questionable” magazines, winking at me. Misato caught him, however, and confiscated them, telling me, “Maybe next year…” Finally, when it was Misato’s turn, she blushed and turned away. She stammered out an apology, claiming that she had blew all of her money on the food, and couldn’t afford a gift! Everyone, including me, just laughed, and eventually she laughed as well, and when I caught her eye, she winked at me.

Eventually, at around midnight, everyone was too full of food and drink to stay, and finally trudged out the door. Toji and Kensuke gave me the thumbs-up as they left, thanking me for the party. When everyone was one, I collapsed on my bed, thinking about it all.

I can’t believe they all did that…for me. Everyone was so happy…

Misato walked slowly into my room, and sat down next to me on my bed.

“Did you have a good day?” she asked brightly.

I nodded and smiled, looking up at her.

“Good, I’m glad that you’re happy.”

I teared up again at this, and I collapsed into Misato’s arms. She wrapped them around me, and stroked the back of my head.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“I just…I just wanted to hear those words from him…” I sobbed.

“It’s alright, it’s OK…”Misato cooed, “He does care about you; he just doesn’t know it yet. Don’t worry.”

She looked me full in the face, and I stopped crying.

“Happy birthday, Shinji-kun.”

I smiled, and hugged Misato one last time, before falling asleep content for the first time in my life.
Last edited by Shiro on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: One-Shot: Shinji's 14th Birthday

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:19 pm

Pretty good on the whole, but...

Shiro wrote:From Rei, I received a book titled “A Brief History of Time,” by an American physicist named Stephen King

This made me pull an "lolwut?", I think you were referring to Steven Hawking. And I could totally see Shinji reading H2G2.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Oh, hell. Stephen King, Hawking, same thing. Lemme fix that. (Typos, hate them)
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
Nigecha dame da...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Gendo would never shout, "Spit it out!" He'd just say, "Speak up." :gendo: just like that. Gendo is harsh in his quietness...the only time he really shouted was when Shinji refused to pilot Sho.

From Rei, I received a book titled “A Brief History of Time,” by an American physicist named Stephen King

Nanda? :eyepop:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:26 pm

Hm...I suppose you're right. I didn't word it as a shout, per se, more of a command. Perhaps an exclamation mark wasn't appropriate though. And dammit, the King/Hawking thing was just me going too fast! Jeez, so much lulz over one typo.

EDIT: THERE! It's fixed! Damn error 404s...
Nigecha dame da...

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 pm

Shiro wrote:Hm...I suppose you're right. I didn't word it as a shout, per se, more of a command. Perhaps an exclamation mark wasn't appropriate though. And dammit, the King/Hawking thing was just me going too fast! Jeez, so much lulz over one typo.

Eh, its just a bit funny that it was a horror writer writing about the history of the cosmos. Don't worry bout it, we're just giving you grief about nothing. :3
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Tabasco
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tabasco » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:39 am

Neat.

-Really- expensive gifts from some of the command staff, but given the Shinji's job a gift card to Waldenbook's probably wouldn't cut it.

I like it.
---
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one insists on adapting the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Because I'm a continuity whore I read this in between the Rebuild chapters. Nice job, I loved it! :asuka_thumbsup:

(Speaking of which, I'd wonder what Asuka would have gotten him, if anything.)

I can feel the Misato & Shinji WAFF from here! ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Very nice shiro I liked it but your missing this part from the party (its why Asuka wasnt mentioned isnt it lol)

Not realy lol Just for a laugh realy well done
the end has that kind of sad but ok kind of finsh as in Dont let that one bad part of the day let you down
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Hahaha cute, Zeak! ^_^

Though contrary to popular belief, Asuka doesn't or at least didn't drink in that one scene from 22' (when she and Kaji are on the ship heading for Japan and she tried to seduce him), but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway the fic did end sort of sad, but it was cute overall, anyway.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Fanfiction”