Fansub Follies (Warning - Thread contains adult content, vie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

As I indicated recently in another thread, I tend to download just about anything I come across that is EVA-related. One result of this is that I have a variety of fansubs, and this allows for some interesting and, ocassionally amusing, comparisons of how different outfits have translated various lines in EVA.
Here are some different takes on three imfamous scenes in EoE. First up, the faptastic scene in at the beginning of Ep25' Air:

Bochan_Bird translates Shinji's self-reproach thus:

Shinji:
I... I'm scum... (Lit: I'm the lowest...)

(which is kinda appropriate given the sticky close-up of his hand that immediately precedes... :dead: )

AWL resorts to her typical gratuitous vulgarity in the Manga DVD script:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...anga-EoE_01.jpg
Psychlo-Anime sticks pretty close to the original meaning:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan.../P-A_EoE_01.jpg

while the Renewal subs seem to anticipate the ending...
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...ewal_EoE_01.jpg

An obscure fansub that I just downloaded last night (which, interestingly enough, seems to have been ripped from the Home Video version of EoE) comes up with this odd take:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...KILL_EoE_01.jpg

The Instrumentality Sequence in Ep26' My True Heart For You demonstrates that Shinji can never get away with anything with regards to Asuka...

Bochan_Bird's take:

Asuka:
Idiot! I 'know' about your jerk-off fantasies of me.
Do it again like usual... I'll even stand here and watch.

Manga's DVD is about the same:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...anga_EoE_03.jpg

The Renewal subs are tamer, but probably closer to the original Japanese:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...ewal_EoE_03.jpg

Psychlo-Anime's fansub of EoE was likely one of the first to come out. It would seem to be from a HK bootleg, and I get the distinct impression that the English subs were translated from Chinese subs. One might expect that Japanese > Chinese > English would yield some weird results, but still, how on earth did they come up with this:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan.../P-A_EoE_03.jpg

WTF?! Maybe there's some weird Chinese metaphor for wanking involved...

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 04:26 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

This brings us, then, to the end: the famous 'kimochi warui'. (There's a theme here I suppose; Shinji starts out with choking his chicken, and ends with choking his honeybunch...)
Anyway, Bochan_Bird translates it thus:

Asuka:
How disgusting.

AWL seems to rip off Bochan_Bird on a number of ocassions, for instance here:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...anga_EoE_02.jpg

Psychlo-Anime goes with:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan.../P-A_EoE_02.jpg

And here's the Renewal subs' take:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Fan...ewal_EoE_02.jpg

I kinda like this last one; if anyone were ever entitled to say they feel terrible, I would say it's Asuka at this point...

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 04:26 GMT

Pepperidge [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pepperidge [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Nice close-ups on the second one, there. Image

The "I'm helpless" version was actually the first version of the film I saw. Needless to say, that translation was kind of hard to understand. Of course, as you mentioned, that version was taken from the Japanese VHS release, which I still feel a superior version of the film, even if only for the most insignificant reasons.

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 05:50 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Oh, boy, giant green boobs. Image

I actually have the "I know you think of me as food!" sub saved as an .avi on CD somewhere. It was my first subtitled anime, and my EoE until Manga released it. I thought it was such a WEIRD metaphor, but oddly appropriate.

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 16:37 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Japanese and english are so differnt that its hard to translate exactly. But I'd like to say that I wsh I had renewal because of the clearity of that green picture....@,@

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 18:14 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Incisivis wrote:Oh, boy, giant green boobs. Image

I actually have the "I know you think of me as food!" sub saved as an .avi on CD somewhere. It was my first subtitled anime, and my EoE until Manga released it. I thought it was such a WEIRD metaphor, but oddly appropriate.
It's all a matter of perspective; some might say "Oh boy! Giant green boobs!!!" @,@ :crush: Image

That Psychlo-Anime fansub of EoE was my first exposure to it, too... It's funny to think how I watched that with no idea how it was going to warp my mind and turn me into an EVA fiend :twitch:

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 18:39 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Nice comparisons there, SS. BTW, has Bochan Bird ever made translations for the tv-episodes? I think I remember Sharp quoting once Bochan's translation of some Kaworu-scene in ep24...

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 19:10 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:It's funny to think how I watched that with no idea how it was going to warp my mind and turn me into an EVA fiend

I know what you mean. I stumbled across Eva like a drunken wander. I had never even heard of it when I watched it, so I had no idea what to expect.

Dr. Nick wrote:Nice comparisons there, SS. BTW, has Bochan Bird ever made translations for the tv-episodes? I think I remember Sharp quoting once Bochan's translation of some Kaworu-scene in ep24...

I belive his translation is use for all of the Renewal fansubs (At lest one ones that I got in my PM box Image)

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 19:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Nice comparisons there, SS. BTW, has Bochan Bird ever made translations for the tv-episodes? I think I remember Sharp quoting once Bochan's translation of some Kaworu-scene in ep24...

He translated the New Production Cut scenes, which Eva Otaku has posted at his site. From what I understand, the Renewal fansubs use BB's translations for the NPCs and EoE and the literal translation project for everything else. Of course, if you want to be certain, just check the credits at the end of every episode. Image (I would, but my Renewal AVIs are scattered across several CD-Rs...)

Shin-seiki: Just out of curiosity, who originally came up with the term "faptastic", anyway?

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 23:03 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Reichu wrote:He translated the New Production Cut scenes, which Eva Otaku has posted at his site. From what I understand, the Renewal fansubs use BB's translations for the NPCs and EoE and the literal translation project for everything else. Of course, if you want to be certain, just check the credits at the end of every episode. Image (I would, but my Renewal AVIs are scattered across several CD-Rs...)

Shin-seiki: Just out of curiosity, who originally came up with the term "faptastic", anyway?
You mean you didn't ?! Hmm... the first place I ever came across the syllable 'fap' in this context was on Toasty Frog's Thumbnail Theatre:
(End of Eva pt1)
-----------------
Shinji: Asuka, I hate myself and want to die. Please help me. I guess you should wake up first, though.

Asuka: SPROING-OING-OING

Shinji: Hmm... never mind. I think I can help myself. (fap fap fap)

Shinji: I totally hate myself for doing that. Although come to think of it, that means this little interlude of depravity encapsulates the entire Evangelion series.
-----------------

If I hadn't read that, I would have no idea what you meant by faptastic...

As for the Renewal subtitle scripts:
Ep01-20, and 25-26 - Literal Translation Project.
Ep21'-24' - L.T.P for the original scenes; Bochan_Bird for the new material.
Death - Studio 00/Melbourne Anime Society
Ep25' Air/Ep26' My Pure Heart for You - Hiroaki Fukuda/Central Anime (Kansas)

Bochan_Bird's EoE script is not[/u] used; I believe that EvaOtaku specifically denied permission to use it on fansubs once Manga licenced EoE.

Originally posted on: 13-Dec-2003, 03:58 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:You mean you didn't ?! Hmm... the first place I ever came across the syllable 'fap' in this context was on Toasty Frog's Thumbnail Theatre

That's the first place I saw it, too, though I doubt Jeremy Parish is the ultimate origin. As far as the derivation "faptastic", yeah, I came up with that on my own, though I was just curious if you'd seen it before that. (Just the etymology fan in me.)

Bochan_Bird's EoE script is not[/u] used; I believe that EvaOtaku specifically denied permission to use it on fansubs once Manga licenced EoE.

Heh heh, my bad. -o-; Blame my confusion on the fact that I don't have the Renewal EoE fansub yet...

Originally posted on: 13-Dec-2003, 04:07 GMT

Mog [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mog [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Where can I download these fan subs? I would like to see them.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 03:14 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Mog wrote:Where can I download these fan subs? I would like to see them.
Check your PM

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 03:44 GMT

senseinobaka [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby senseinobaka [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 pm

A bit off topic, but another difference i saw in translation is at the scene where Shinji's mom caresses him one last time and he floats to the top of the see of lcl while she sinks. the lines goes. (off the top of my head)

AWL:
Shinji: I'll search for my happiness. I am me. But that's stating the obvious over and over again.

Fansub I saw:
Shinji: I'll find a difinition of happiness. For the sake of who I am, I am myself. Godbye mother.

Out of sheer curiosity, which one is accurate?

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 15:39 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

senseinobaka wrote:A bit off topic, but another difference i saw in translation is at the scene where Shinji's mom caresses him one last time and he floats to the top of the see of lcl while she sinks. the lines goes. (off the top of my head)

AWL:
Shinji: I'll search for my happiness. I am me. But that's stating the obvious over and over again.

Fansub I saw:
Shinji: I'll find a difinition of happiness. For the sake of who I am, I am myself. Godbye mother.

Out of sheer curiosity, which one is accurate?
Bochan_Bird's translation of EoE is regarded by many fans as the most accurate one available; here's how he translates that scene:
-----------------------------------

SCENE: Water drop- Yui caressing Shinji's cheek

Yui:
So, you'll be okay now?

Shinji:
I still don't know where to find happiness...
But I'll continue to think about whether it's good to be here... whether it was good to have been born.
But in the end, it's just realizing the obvious over and over again.
Because I am myself.

(Shinji emerges from the sea of LCL... Lilith-Rei's head splits)

Shinji:
But mother... what will you do?

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:00 GMT

Pepperidge [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pepperidge [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 pm

You probably shouldn't nitpick over something that ambiguous. You can't translate anything perfectly, and all three translations there get the same idea across.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:34 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Pepperidge wrote:You probably shouldn't nitpick over something that ambiguous. You can't translate anything perfectly, and all three translations there get the same idea across.

Things like "How disgusting" and "I feel sick" are leagues apart in the interpretation of what Asukas last line meant.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:37 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 pm

tv33 wrote:Things like "How disgusting" and "I feel sick" are leagues apart in the interpretation of what Asukas last line meant.

Perhaps Asuka's final words were chosen specifically for their ambiguity... And, anyway, what's to say she doesn't mean it both ways? In a mere two words, she can express:

1) "Damn! After dying, being strangled in Instrumentality World, having my body reform out of raw LCL, and being strangled again in real life, I can honestly say I've felt better."

...and...

2) "You know what, Shinji? You're a weak, cowardly, wretched, pathetic excuse for a human being. You have the nerve to wank it at my hospital bedside while I'm in a self-induced coma and the total lack of mental stability required to wring my neck after I've returned from the dead. What's worse, right after I accidentally imitate your mother's farewell caress with the last air left in my lungs, you break down and start sobbing like the hopeless mama's boy you are. YOU MAKE ME SICK! Sick SICK SICK SICK!!!"

Yay for Japanese.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 21:25 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Perhaps Asuka's final words were chosen specifically for their ambiguity... And, anyway, what's to say she doesn't mean it both ways? In a mere two words, she can express:

1) "Damn! After dying, being strangled in Instrumentality World, having my body reform out of raw LCL, and being strangled again in real life, I can honestly say I've felt better."

...and...

2) "You know what, Shinji? You're a weak, cowardly, wretched, pathetic excuse for a human being. You have the nerve to wank it at my hospital bedside while I'm in a self-induced coma and the total lack of mental stability required to wring my neck after I've returned from the dead. What's worse, right after I accidentally imitate your mother's farewell caress with the last air left in my lungs, you break down and start sobbing like the hopeless mama's boy you are. YOU MAKE ME SICK! Sick SICK SICK SICK!!!"

Yay for Japanese.
I agree with most of what you say (in your inimitable fashion), but what makes you think that there was anything 'accidental' about her caress? I always considered that the most sincere gesture on Asuka's part in the whole series...

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 21:33 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I agree with most of what you say (in your inimitable fashion)

"Inimitable"? A...arigatou... ::Rei blush::

but what makes you think that there was anything 'accidental' about her caress? I always considered that the most sincere gesture on Asuka's part in the whole series...

Well, I only meant "accidental" in regard to its resemblance to Yui's final caress. It was obviously intentional on the part of Anno-san, since he likes to put parallels like that all through Eva (just to see if fans like you would notice, Shin-seiki Image). But from Asuka's POV, I don't know how she could have been purposely imitating what Yui did; it just happened that way. Still, I suspect that Shinji suddenly broke down specifically because Asuka reminded him of his ol' kaasan.

Also, while I don't disagree that Asuka's gesture was sincere, didn't Asuka pick a pretty messed-up time to give Shinji a loving caress? "He was crushing your throat, for crissake!!" Suddenly, it's occurred to me... Perhaps Asuka was directing that "Kimochi warui", at least in part, at herself.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 22:07 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”