Site cleanup- stub removal, quotes, OA vs DC, et al

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Site cleanup- stub removal, quotes, OA vs DC, et al

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Just a lowdown of what comes to mind about finishing the content sections of the Wiki.

1. An absurd number of stubs that are not stubs clutter the wiki. I'm holding from removing the "stub" designation from several of these episodes for the time being, but it remains somewhat misleading that so many fleshed-out articles should be stubs.

2. Quotes. Several of the episodes that go under the "stub" designation seem to be a little short on the quotes side. Now what quotes make the cut and what don't remains to be seen, but IMHO quotes are not so important to the article that a shortage of quotes qualifies the article as a stub.

3. Serious unfinished business. Less than two weeks ago, Ramiel had no image at all, episode 21 and 23 have unfinished OA vs DC comparisions.

Now I can fix the OA vs DC part of it and remove the stubs if it is agreed that they aren't stubs any longer, but I can't do anything about the EoE part of it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:55 am

Another important thing: V, once you get your real-world stuff finished, could you give us some official referencing guidelines? At the moment everybody's just using their own random systems and it's a real mess (sources in brackets, no sources mentioned at all, sources listed at the bottom of a page but without any cohesive links to the main text, etc.).

Also, is the Fan Service sandbox article still needed? I think all the current contributors already have a fair understanding of how Mediawiki works, and the Boot Camp page covers much of the basics.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:20 pm

yeah but I think we should leave a Fanservice article in there for fun, plus its still a good sandbox for noobs

Writing scary term papers through christmas break at end of semeseter, cannot talk now

not that I'm working AT ALL in the spring semester
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Since this is clean-up related: Could V or somebody please delete the following items:

*Image:Andromeda strain hexagonal pattern.jpg
*Image:Episode 13 Ireul's A.T. Field.jpg

(This is kinda important, because that was a rather huge fuck-up on my part.)

*Image:Blood+_ambassador.jpg

(Botched the upload.)

My old experimental stubs:

*The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (won't need a specific page)
*Gunbuster (won't need a specific page, I think)
*Space Runaway Ideon (not my stub (IIRC) but could probably be nuked as well)

Also, the stub for "2001" has been nuked, but the talk page is still there.

And another newer, needless page:

*Doujinshi (see my comments on the talk page)

Thank you.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:41 pm

I can't find the 2001 Talk page; please give a link

I deleted the pictures of the Andromeda strain cells but you should actually load another image of them back up; that comparison of them to Iruel cells was a good idea
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:57 am

Crap, I managed to slate wrong images for destruction. Luckily Ursus caught me on that.

It's these two suckers that need to go:

Image:Andromeda strain circuitry.jpg
Image:Episode 13 circuitry.jpg

EDIT:

V wrote:I can't find the 2001 Talk page; please give a link

http://evageeks.org/FGP/Talk:2001:_A_Space_Odyssey

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:03 am

I suggest we remove the last remaining bits of chanspeak from the site by

- Renaming the SAUCE-template to a more universal SOURCE-template
- Axing "Sauce" from the Geektionary
- Renaming "End of Evangelion Lulz" to "Miscallaneous End of Evangelion humor" or something (assuming such a page is actually needed at all).

Also, those shipping example images in the Geektionary are drifting all over the place, at least on my browser.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 am

The template "Unreferenced" is still protected. There's a lot of protected stuff that I'd gladly change if Reichu or another sysop removed the protection. Speaking of sysop...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 am

Well I'd help you out if I could...
Who is "Codename V"?....

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:33 am

I need my Mittu page deleted so I can change the names to brands
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Now that Sysops have apparently been appointed, can we proceed with the chanspeak purge?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Oh, sure. What needs to be purged next?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:47 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Oh, sure. What needs to be purged next?

Things left to do:

- Renaming "End of Evangelion Lulz" to "Miscallaneous End of Evangelion humor" or something (assuming such a page is actually needed at all).

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:52 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:
UrsusArctos wrote:Oh, sure. What needs to be purged next?

Things left to do:

Question: Why restrict the "lulz" page to EOE? There are pleanty of really strange theories about the entire series that we could list.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Mostly because I thought we'd end up with more than one page for "lulz". I wasn't thinking of wacky theories when I created that, either, but just humorous snippets from forum posts and the like. We never really did get around to archiving the good ol' fun.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:44 pm

The "sauce" template is now rather different (Using an old line that V had in mind for another template), with an image of Gendo to boot.

And "End of Evangelion lulz" has been renamed.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:29 am

End of Evangelion Lulz moved to Miscellaneous End of Evangelion humor!

*thinks end of evangelion lulz sounded better*

On a related note the "Rei's emotions" page should be renamed to something else, maybe just Analysis of Rei Ayanami (a less boring title than that would be better), so it nutshells all the stuff that's already there because the article doesn't talk about Rei's emotions but just Rei in general.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 am

"Character Analysis of Rei Ayanami" or "Rei's character: In Depth" or "Rei's Character" would be likely alternatives. "Rei's Character" would be the simplest, I think.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:08 am

Zugzwang wrote:*thinks end of evangelion lulz sounded better*

It was rather tongue-in-cheek, wasn't it? I wonder if that isn't entirely inappropriate for a humor page. (And speaking of humor pages, we ought to make a public thread or something asking people to post submissions of things that might be archived on them.)

On a related note the "Rei's emotions" page should be renamed to something else

"Rei Ayanami (In-Depth)" (dunno if the dash is required) seems appropriate. The title SHOULD begin with "Rei Ayanami", in any case.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:22 am

Reichu wrote:"Rei Ayanami (In-Depth)"

I'd like to go in depth in Rei if you know what I mean. :hurr:
Also, when I put my socks on this morning I couldn't help but think of them as giant foreskins. Damn you!

Reichu wrote:(dunno if the dash is required)

I think it is... Oh, found a neat link on that - http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/indepth.html

The Rei articles I've written really need to be sorted out, because I can't write the in-betweens at all - all I can do is write information out as a list, how to string it together nicely and make it actually readable is beyond my capabilities in English - my mind just doesn't work like that.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”