Site Information

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Site Information

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:34 am

Hey Eva Monkey, you should really make an effort to put more info on your main site. I'm talking in depth 20 page FAQS, character summaries up the wazoo, image galleries bigger than most hard drives, the works. Face it, the site as it is is terribly lacking (aside from the essay section.) I understand your probably pretty busy, so why not ask some of us for help? Try and make this site worthy of a #12 spot on animefringe. :wink:
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:56 am

Tell me about it. >.> I've been trying to get this guy to up the main site content level for months. I'd been harping on about this even before the forum got set up, but it never went anywhere.

If I may speak in his defense though, he has a rather sentimental reason for all this. He earnestly does want to be solely responsible for the quality of the content on this site, and the best way to make sure dubius information doesn't start cluttering up the site is if he types it in himself. The obvious downside is that typing up charecter profiles, connecting extensive link networks, and monitoring the overall streamlined functionality of the site have to be done completely solo.

Being a writer with an extensive understanding of the show and charecters, I've asked for the opertunity to alieve the situation by contributing to the profiles *tries nudging Monkey again ^^;*, and suggested that he try to share the bulk of the project with others, but he's been slow in coming around. A certain degree of anal-retentive responsibility still has a hold over him. ( I'm honest 'cus I love, Monkey. I'm honest 'cus I love. ~_^)

However, his recent attempts to enlist forum members to take on certain tasks has given me hope that he's coming around, but in the end how much help he's willing to ask for will come down to how pleased he is with these initial experiments.

So if you're really interested in seeing this site grow, I would advise that you not give general suggestions for what we should do, but give specific examples of what you can do to help. Maybe Monkey will breakdo -- I mean -- be encouraged by this. ^_^;

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:28 pm

Xanatose is right on the mark.

I've always wanted this site (at the very least the original content) to be done by myself. Not only do I want to keep comprehension level high (har har), I also wanted to say "I did this. All of it.", because there's a certain special quality to something when its a singular effort. I look at Shinkai's "Voices of a Distant Star". Its a half hour long Sci-Fi mecha OAV, that not only is beautifully written, but was completely written and animated by him. The first audio track was done by him and his wife. I'm not sure if he did the music as well, but you get the point. Its an amazing example of a work that ordinarily would take a team of talented individuals, instead, it was one man.

I'm slowly (and painfully) realizing that I need other people's help. It partially stems from my own issues (and problems) with motivation. I am considering how to bring more people in. I've brought Rachel in informally, although she's pretty much self contained, however its still something that the site offers. I would love to have dedicated people that I could assign to certain tasks. Person A is in charge of working on Subtitle Transcripts, Person B is in charge of Dub Transcripts, person C is in charge of the music guide, person D is in charge of obtaining content reprint permission for essays and articles for the written statement section, person E is in charge of the episode guide, etc etc etc etc.

I don't really know at this point. I was pleased with how people helped out with transcripting the platinum books. Unforunately, larger requests such as transcripts of episodes, which have occurred on more than one occasion, specifically by request of readers saying "Give me something to do!" yeilded nothing. So you can see part of my reluctance in bringing people on. Not to mention the fact that it took me two years to be comfortable enough to let anyone else have acess to the site server, that being Rachel, and to a slightly lesser extent Chocomanji.

I've actually been thinking about how to bring in people. And I am going to give it a try, maybe bring on an assistant Webmaster or two, or designate them as "Content Wranglers". Who knows, time will tell.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:04 am

We understand that you want to say that you did it all yourself , and we dont blame you.

Typing up the Plat Eva booklets was fun and educational , but hard work ( considering I did about 6 of them :shock: , Dave and Ayanami and other people also did a few of them ). it took time .

If Eva Monkey were to type up and give us what we want , he would have to quit either his job or leave university , to do so. I think that we should support EM in all his desisions.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 pm

You know I'm here to help, dear. I know I can't type much, but I know organizing is another big part in maintaining a website, and I can always edit existing work (b/c their are always errors/typos somewhere).

You know how to reach me... :wink:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:13 am

Doing a music guide would be a breeze for Reichu, as she has virtually all of the relevant info rotting on her hard drive. (She is a very busy girl, though.)

Soluzar (from ANF and a newbie here) has found a way to make subtitle transcripts a breeze. At least, that's what he tells me... It seems that it will eliminate most of the labor involved.

And, yes, Monkey must become less anal. Freud-san says it's time to move onto the Phallic Stage. There comes a time when you must forfeit your pride in exchange for bigger and better things. You don't need to do everything yourself, but you can be the quality control filter. Honestly, what's more important, braggardly saying, "I rule, I did this all myself" and having a website with virtually nothing on it, or accepting help and having a bigger and better site?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:00 pm

And shirts. Don't forget shirts.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:12 pm

Shirts? What, you want an Anno inside shirt with the Eva Monkey URL on it?

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:19 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Shirts? What, you want an Anno inside shirt with the Eva Monkey URL on it?

I would like a shirt.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Ahhh, I love how Aaron disregards 90% of what I say, even when I'm trying to be helpful instead of perverted.

"Anno Inside" -- you could help finance the site with those. And don't forget the Official Eva Monkey Coffee Mugs, Boxers, and Prophylactics.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:29 am

Sorry; I provided the vehicle.

Aaron, you'll sell no shirts untill you pay attention to this poor creature.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”