First Evangelion Experience

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Ark wrote:I can understand 16 but why 15?

Nothing particularly exciting happens.

If you took a poll around here, 15 would probably be in the top 3 episodes. (Unfortunately, I don't think that the poll feature can handle 26 choices.)

Like Shin-Seiki, I didn't particularly like EVA the first time I saw it, but when I wen't back about 4 years later and watched it again, to prepare for the movies, 15 was one of the few episodes I could remember clearly. (The only others were 5 & 6. ) The, "Hey, let's kiss" , scene was my favorite scene that first time that I saw the show, even though I had no idea it would have a big payoff. (I was about 4 years away from seeing EOE or the DC eposodes.)

It's still my favorite scene, followed by the, "Try smiling", scene; which is probably why I remembered 5 & 6 so clearly.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:36 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Ark wrote:I don't get why it has her saying "you won't even help me" while showing the image of him pulling her out of the volcano. Bit contradictory.

Also, why would she be upset during their training to fight Israel? She hardly knew him at that point.
Are you acquainted with the concept of irony? They make a similar point about Shinji in #26', showing an image of Misato welcoming him into her apartment for the first time, while Shinji is saying "No one cares about me..."

You seem to be missing the whole point about Asuka's behavior in #09, considering that she ends up plopping into bed with Shinji, with her boobs right in his face.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:41 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

You seem to be missing the whole point about Asuka's behavior in #09, considering that she ends up plopping into bed with Shinji, with her boobs right in his face.

I'm pretty sure she was asleep considering she was mentioning her mother.

I think I get what you're saying though. She wanted him to try something. That still doesn't explain though why she'd be upset as soon as the she shut the door though.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:48 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Ark wrote:I'm pretty sure she was asleep considering she was mentioning her mother.

I think I get what you're saying though. She wanted him to try something. That still doesn't explain though why she'd be upset as soon as the she shut the door though.
In both #09 and #15, Asuka makes a point of drawing Shinji's attention to the fact that Misato is out for the night (in other words, they've got the place to themselves). In #09 she is frustrated that he doesn't try to take advantage of the situation, while in #15 she makes the first move herself (not that it leads anywhere, thanks to Shinji being such a dolt...)

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 21:08 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Shin-seiki wrote:(not that it leads anywhere, thanks to Shinji being such a dolt...)

or the lack of air.

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 21:44 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

because it was weird and angst n' stuff.

Best description evar.

(My story of madness and obsession coming up soon!)

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 11:47 GMT

Innotech [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Innotech [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

I bought tape 1 loooooooong ago and back then didnt have the $$$ to buy the rest. I still dont have the series on disc, but I finally got to watch EoE online (out of curiousity) and that led to so many questions I had to find the series somewhere. Early this year, a website broadcasted Evangelion on WINAMP TV and I marathoned it. That is essentially my first true experience with it.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 12:24 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

My tale of madness and obsession starts exactly like tv33's story, so I can handle this first paragraph by quoting him:
It was over two years ago, I had just turned 17, and was somewhat getting into anime at the time, I had only seen one or two things and been consciously aware that they were Japanese animation.

To be precise, those anime titles I had seen at that point were Porco Rosso (sub), GitS (sub), Wings of Honneamise (sub) and Akira (dub). Well, when I was a fire-extinguisher sized n00b of a human I had seen Moomin, which was a mighty good Finnish-Japanese joint production kids's show, and Alfred J. Quack which totally warped my young fragile mind, but I don't really count those as true anime experiences because at that time I didn't knew the were from Japan. (AJQ was an excellent kids' show, let me tell you that: it featured transforming helicopters, giant monsters, arab terrorists, military coup d'etats, guillotines, aliens, snowmen, Atlantians, teen angst and blood, death & destruction. It also had one character who was obviously supposed to be Hitler!)

My first exposure to this nerd-drug happened during one of those backwoods LAN-games, held by the infamous clan Loozers. At that time I still had the energy to play Camper-Strike, and my role was to protect the skilled players of our team with my body (I've heard that the newest version of CS features an actual assault shield, so I guess I'm unemployed now). Of course we weren't playing all the time, and during these breaks I used to wander around the place oogling at other people's computers, making n00bish comments ("OMG a wireless mouse!!1!"). Well, then I happened to see that my friend Leijona was watching some weird, bloody animated crap on his comp - yes, you guessed right: End of Eva and the harpy-fight.

Soon L. noticed my presence and said something like "this is a really kewl series, and you see pretty soon the whole world's gonna end and these two dudes are gonna be the only survivors, like new Adam and Eve" (yeah, he was a n00b then). I kept on watching for ten-fifteen minutes or so, then left for a moment to get some more pizza, and when I returned things had gotten really, really weird. I shaked my head, returned to my seat and soon forgot the damn thing altogether.

Then about a year later I noticed this article in a Finnish gaming magazine, named "the short history of mecha-anime", and its short description of Evangelion caught my eye and got me interested again. Later on when I read the article again I noticed that it was full of classic n00b mistakes, and it generated even more n00b mistakes when an idiot named Das Saunamies wrote a letter which was published in the next issue; in this letter he said he wanted to correct some of those mistakes and "set things straight". Well, he didn't actually correct anything, but managed to create a whole lot of new misinformation. Not surprisingly I was later told by MDWigs that in the past mr. Saunamies used to be the laughingstock of the Evangelion.com forums. Go figure.

But that doesn't matter here. At that time I was severely scifi-deprived because Babylon 5 had ended and there was nothing good on the telly anymore, just some crap like Stargåte. I maintained my sanity by reading Clarke, Asimov, Lem and Ellison, but I craved for moving images. So, in my desperation I decided to try anime, and contacted L. and asked him if he still had those Evangelion episodes on his comp. Luckily he still had the 16 first episodes fansubbed (and with mindbogglingly bad image quality) and during the next LAN-games I watched them all almost straight through and dear lord was I hooked. After that I watched the movies, but as you can imagine I didn't understand anything about the ending then. I just mostly stared at the visuals and drooled.

I didn't get to see the rest of the episodes until several months later when I bought my "perfect" collection. Before the boxset arrived I had been lurking around on Animeboards so I knew beforehand about the unconventional nature of the last two episodes. Thus I wasn't really shocked or disappointed when I saw them, I merely considered them as an interesting supplement - although I have to say the AU-sequence almost scared the crap out of me: I was afraid Shinji would choose to remain in that harem anime -esque universe and WHAM! the ending credits would roll. Thank Jebus that didn't happen.

(Well, it did happen in Eva-R, though...)

After that I bought the movies, watched EoE carefully through and hot damn, slowly I started to understand things! At first I also planned to join the Animeboards forum community (Leijona had been a member there before the Great Crash), but then that place started to stagnate and I changed my plans and came here. And I must say I haven't had to regret that decision.

Interestingly enough, when I searched Google for "Das Saunamies", this profile was the first thing to pop up...

Originally posted on: 30-Jun-2004, 14:15 GMT

Endymion [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Endymion [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 am

I had my first experience... oh about 2 days ago! I'm surprised I had no idea Neon Genesis Evangelion was such a big deal in anime terms, i was completely unaware despite the amount of anime i've seen / watched.... I too have just turned 17 oddly!!

I thought it was really good, but those early 'feeling a series out' episodes are tricky ones... only seen ep1 & 2... i've been watching it in sub form, not dub... so dnt all you hardcores get concerned! I kno my s**t! lol...

I dunno how ppl rate the dub, but i jst prefer the subs - its a more authentic experience I think...

I hear i'm not in the confusing portion of the series yet, so theres more to come and plenty to think about hopefully!!

Originally posted on: 05-Jul-2004, 00:42 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 am

It's great that you've discovered the series and all, but I suggest that you exercise caution with regard to this and other EVA forums; NGE is a series that will wonderfully mess with your head, so try to avoid spoilers (this forum is full of them in just about every thread), to enhance your enjoyment of the series...

Originally posted on: 05-Jul-2004, 01:02 GMT

Nismosis [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nismosis [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 am

Wow, it's been a while. I remember a long time ago (like 5 years or so) a friend of mine wouldn't stop talking about it. He's like "Shinji this and Eva that". Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Anyway, scooting foward 4 years to last year I got a huge check from the Army for my medicla discharge and decided to splurge on some anime. I saw the Perfect Collection on sale with the two movies D&R and EoE for like $160 or something. Anyway, went on instinct and picked it up. Watched it marathon style and became deeply confused. Then I watch D&R and was still confused, then watched EoE and just got depressed. I became so depressed that I bought the EoE soundtrack to depress myself even more. My father listened to the EoE soundtrack and then took everything I had Eva related from me while I was sleeping. I think he thought that I was gonna kill myself or something. Oh well...

Originally posted on: 05-Jul-2004, 01:28 GMT

Endymion [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Oh dear... is it that depressing!! :S

Okk, thank u shin-seiki!! I shall try and avoid the threads... I did notice that a lot of them seem to be thoroughly discussing the plot, I was thinking there MIGHT have been someone else saying "Just started getting into Eva".. or something... thank u!!

Originally posted on: 05-Jul-2004, 10:54 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 am

Endymion wrote:Oh dear... is it that depressing!! :S

Okk, thank u shin-seiki!! I shall try and avoid the threads... I did notice that a lot of them seem to be thoroughly discussing the plot, I was thinking there MIGHT have been someone else saying "Just started getting into Eva".. or something... thank u!!
If you're like most people, by the time you finish episodes 25-26, you'll be like "What the hell was that all about?!"... When you watch EoE, same thing, even more so. Then we'll be happy to try to help you make sense of it all Image

Originally posted on: 05-Jul-2004, 11:30 GMT

shin_gyokakuran [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shin_gyokakuran [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 am

First time seeing the first episode? Whoa! Sugoi! This is going to start a trend!>and it did<

Originally posted on: 05-Jul-2004, 12:03 GMT

Endymion [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Ok, I JUST finished watching the whole series... am yet to watch D&R and EoE... but they are ready and waiting... my confusion is wavering, i'm not hugely confused. I did think the last episode was very odd, and i'm so glad theres more cos I wud have been left very unfullfilled... its been an awesome series though... i jst need to write all the facts on lil' bits of card... lay it all out and try and understand it all! lol

Originally posted on: 08-Jul-2004, 13:35 GMT

Mickygor [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mickygor [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 am

I'm only up to episode 17, but...

I went into Virgin Megastores intending to buy an anime DVD (Before I had only watched the ones screened on british terrestrial TV, so: Pokemon, Digimon, Yu Gi Oh) I saw many there, but in the end I had heard people on a game creation forum I go to recommend Evangelion, so I bought 3 DVDs (and got my free credit) and rushed back to the car, popping the first one into the in-built DVD player. I remember something about my dad saying 'Stuff 'n' Nonsense' and that is about it. I was just... hooked. Here I am, 1 month later Image

Originally posted on: 08-Jul-2004, 22:32 GMT

Endymion [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Endymion [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:07 am

Be careful! the spoilers... oh the spoilers!

lol, I'm from the UK too... so we're eagerly waiting the appearance of the Platinum DVDs in the UK (If they do get made)... hmm... I think I'm going to use Otaku.co.uk and order R1 dvds anyway... its jst, the ones your buying are old, and there should be remastered ones on the horizon... so maybe u'd wanna hang on and complete your collection with the Platinum set (if they do get released).... so many if's and but's.... *sigh*

I've watched Death & Rebirth today, which *picks up a shield*... i found SLIGHTLY dull, but that was mayb because i'd jst watched 22-26 in one sitting the night before... so it was all fresh in my mind, i didnt need a recap really... i'm worried about watching End of Evangelion... am i gonna want to top myself? :S NO!!! lol

Mickygor, u ever used Otaku.co.uk?? Its alittle pricey, but worth a look for UK Anime fans...

Originally posted on: 08-Jul-2004, 23:03 GMT

el1t3 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby el1t3 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:08 am

When I first saw Eva was when my friend gave me the fan subbed of the first 6 eps. I watched them without that divx alpha codec so there was no sound at all but there was subs. I watched all 6 and it was pretty interesting but what got me hooked was when I saw Ermac's amvs. After I saw them, I just had to get the rest with working soundImage

Originally posted on: 14-Jul-2004, 01:27 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”