First Evangelion Experience

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

For the love of Lilith, if you continue that originality/unorginality debate in this thread, I'll hunt you both down, freeze-dry you alive, grind you into powder, and use you for garden fertilizer.

Originally posted on: 20-Jun-2004, 14:08 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

I first watched NGE years ago, when it was first released by ADV (around '97-'98) because of all the hype that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and... I didn't like it. Image I only made it thru the first two volumes of the VHS sub before I gave up, and didn't order any more. (I still have those Vol 1 and 2 tapes around somewhere; I could just kick myself now, for not sticking with it and getting the whole thing). I think it was #04 that made me lose interest, since there was no real action in that episode, just Shinji wandering around moping and indulging in self-pity.
Eventually, because the hype didn't die down, but just continued to build, I resumed watching by renting the VHS dub tapes. I stuck with it to the end this time, and I thought the story was pretty interesting, up until #25-26, which I didn't get at all; I was vaguely aware that the 3rd Impact they had mentioned before had somehow happened, but it just seemed to involve everyone standing around on a stage talking... and talking... and talking some more... Image

I moved on to other stuff, and largely forgot about NGE for a few years, until I chanced upon the opportunity to DL EoE. As I've stated here before, that was the cinematic equivalent of being smacked upside the head by a 2x4, or maybe kicked in the stomach by a mule... I was particularly traumatized by what happens to the two characters I cared about the most (Misato and Asuka). I finished watching it around 12:30 AM, and then spent the next six hours lying in bed, staring at the ceiling (I had to go to work that morning Image ); it was like trying to come down from a bad drug experience...

I've spent the last year and a half on this and other EVA-related forums, trying to understand NGE, so I could get a handle on what that movie did to my head. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Jun-2004, 15:06 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

So, both tv33 and Shin-seiki are here because of an endless search for answers to EoE's content? Interesting.... it almost coulda come out of a book.

Originally posted on: 20-Jun-2004, 16:48 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

NakedEYE666 wrote:So, both tv33 and Shin-seiki are here because of an endless search for answers to EoE's content? Interesting.... it almost coulda come out of a book.

Well, I would still probably be here even if I never saw EoE. I very much enjoyed the series the first time I watched it.

Originally posted on: 20-Jun-2004, 17:21 GMT

Senshi Guardian [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Senshi Guardian [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Mine is a bit funny too.

I first rented the VHS of the first two episodes from Blockbuster video and was amazed by it. When i got my first DVD the Vol.1 DVD was one of the first i bought.

Soon after words i read about all of the religious overtones and felt funny about watching the series. Flash Foward a few years and I finaly broke down and bought Death and Rebirth. I finaly got to the point were I accepted "It's only an Anime and has no effect on me or my beliefs, it's all for entertainment". The I got End of Evangelion, then a few monthes ago finaly the perfect collection set. Now I'm even buying the rereleased manga from VIZ.(I have 1-3 and 8, waiting for 4-7 and 9-? to be released)

Originally posted on: 20-Jun-2004, 17:55 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Reichu wrote:For the love of Lilith, if you continue that originality/unorginality debate in this thread, I'll hunt you both down, freeze-dry you alive, grind you into powder, and use you for garden fertilizer.

And Ill help.

Originally posted on: 20-Jun-2004, 22:20 GMT

Someone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Someone [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Wow, thats an enlightening section, I thought all of you saw Evangelion on TV...

For the ending, I know whats going on becasue I have been spoiling myself silly on the internet. However when I was at ep 25 and 26, I was completely taken away by everything, I never expect something like that. Then, during my upcoming exam, my brother downloaded EoE from *you know where* and unfortunately it was bootleg. The movie again, blow me away despite the poor graphic. After that, I have been coming to this forum ever since then...

I watch it at 2 am in the morning same as some of you here Image

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 02:06 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Barely anyone got hooked on Eva cause of CN. Us here on AN just got really pissed off...

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 11:27 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Hey! Gimme back my beard! ...good story though, heh. My Eva experience isn't all that exciting though...I started reading the manga first, when Viz first brought it here (when was that, '97 or '98, somewhere around then?) and stuck with it for awhile, but for reasons I forget offhand just sorta stopped for awhile...some time later, in my junior year of HS, I met an underclassman who was an Eva fan, and when he mentioned it in a conversation I mentioned what I remembered from the manga, and he was surprised to find anyone else who knew what Eva was, heh. He owned the VHS tapes, and after first being lent the "Eva-03 Episode" to watch (what a way to be introduced to the thing, eh?), I headed over to his house a few times and eventually watched them all. This got me back into the manga, and prompted me to order some back issues (yes, this was back when they came in individual issues) and to this day I still nab the GNs as they come out, just to irritate everyone with my "non-canon" references, heh heh. Image In time a friend of mine showed me a horribly-subtitled EoE, which confused the heck out of me, and shortly thereafter sold me the entire DVD set, plus D+R, in my famous "50-Buck Acquisition," which I still own to this day. And thus you're more or less left with the creature you see before you, heh.

And please, PLEASE don't get me started on Xenogears...Reichu can testify to that, heh.

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 16:56 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Sweet NGE....

Here's the full story: sometime back in the year 2000, I was getting into anime. A combination of Dr. Susan Napier's book Anime, From Akira to Princess Mononoke and a blurb in WizardWorld's Anime Insider bred in me a desire to see Neon Genesis Evangelion because it was weird and angst n' stuff.

I got the chance, a while later, to rent the first five volumes of the series on dubbed VHS from the local Roger's Video, a chain video store up in Canada. My reaction was "That's it?" and I rather forgot about NGE for a while.

Then 2001 came, the year of my graduation. Since my parents couldn't afford any huge fancy gift, they let me buy a bunch of anime crap from a comic store in Winnipeg that has since closed down. Among it was a complete set of Evangelion on dubbed VHS, previously viewed.

In the beginning, I didn't have high hopes for getting into NGE. But episode 15 and 16 piqued my interest, and the ending sequence of episode 18 completely sold me. I'd like to think it was because of Shinji's raw emotion and futility, but who's to say? Image

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 17:14 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

But episode 15 and 16 piqued my interest

I can understand 16 but why 15?

Nothing particularly exciting happens.

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 17:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Ark wrote:I can understand 16 but why 15?

Nothing particularly exciting happens.

Because #15 is an episode that's all about the characters, that's why. Gives a lot of important insights into Misato and Asuka, especially.

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 18:03 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Gives a lot of important insights into Misato and Asuka, especially.

Maybe with Misato. You don't really learn much about Asuka. The kiss scene between Asuka and Shinji isn't really significant unless you watch the DC version of ep 22. Which makes you wonder why the scene was put in originally at all.

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 19:28 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Ark wrote:Maybe with Misato. You don't really learn much about Asuka. The kiss scene between Asuka and Shinji isn't really significant unless you watch the DC version of ep 22. Which makes you wonder why the scene was put in originally at all.
There are indications given in #18 that Shinji's non-responsiveness in #15 had a great deal to do with her growing antagonism towards him, and certainly there is a dramatic payoff for the whole business in the Instrumentality Sequence in #26.

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2004, 19:48 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:and certainly there is a dramatic payoff for the whole business in the Instrumentality Sequence in #26.

Which part are you talking about?

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:00 GMT

Lantis745 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lantis745 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

I first watched the first couple of episodes when i was 14 maybe? Anyway i had the first two dvds for 2 years until i bought the boxset. I liked it a lot back then and even more now.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:00 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 am

Ark wrote:Which part are you talking about?

The scenes that lead up to Shinji strangling Asuka and "Komm, susser Tod" starting. At one point, Shinji and Asuka are "re-enacting" the kiss moment, but this time, Asuka just kicks him instead.

Maybe Shin-seiki will link you to some of the visual presentations he's done on the issue... They sure helped ME connect a lot of dots.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:04 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Oh you're talking about E of E.

I thought he meant ep26.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:09 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Here's the whole thread:
http://animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104577

Post #5 and 6 of that thread look at the scene in #26' I refered to above (sorry, I said #26, meant #26')

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:13 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

I don't get why it has her saying "you won't even help me" while showing the image of him pulling her out of the volcano. Bit contradictory.

Also, why would she be upset during their training to fight Israel? She hardly knew him at that point.

Originally posted on: 22-Jun-2004, 08:30 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”