The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:This might be a stupid question, but why didn't they use the real names then? Or is this some bizarre Hollywood convention that I haven't heard of? Like if there's a new Batman-movie coming up, the concept art pictures depicting the hero call him Sir Elton John? It makes just as much sense to me.
I don't know why ADV didn't just use the anime's script as their preliminary. That is what I would have done, that or send out DVDs of the episodes to whatever studios they are trying to garner. I would assume there is a specific reason. Sadly ADV's script does call for a mostly western cast, however that is merely prelimnary, and things can change dramatically from pre-production to shooting.

While I don't like the idea of the show being westernized, I conceed that ethnicity isn't as important as getting the direction right. Afterall, what's more important, a Japanese cast, or making a movie true to the spirit of Eva?

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2004, 08:58 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Read up on the project before you go and insult people working hard to create something for you that they think you would enjoy. I am no great fan of ADV, but don't go and speak badly of someone when you don't even know the facts.

Actually, I came to my opinion after[/u] reading those very things you just linked to. Anyone in these forums can testify that up until recently I tried to be a strong supporter of the LAEM project. Hell, I even had a Unit-01 avatar from WETA's concept art with a title underneath it that read "LAEM supporter." It was only after actually hearing from WETA on the Director's Cut DVDs and reading interviews from Matt Greenfield on what their vision for the film was that I began to loose hope.

tv33 wrote:Are you serious? America is the most multicultural (God I hate that term) country in the world, and one who says other wise is kidding them selves.

Sorry for not being more specific, but I was actually refering to Hollywood, not the United States as a whole.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 21:27 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 pm

thx3876 wrote:And just in case you ever had any Misato fanboy fantasies, Alison Keith also makes her appearance.

I was never all that much of a Misato fan, but Allison Keith is like the only major VA from the English dub that I have any respect for...

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2004, 08:44 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:I was never all that much of a Misato fan, but Allison Keith is like the only major VA from the English dub that I have any respect for...

Oh yeah? And why would that be?

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2004, 20:11 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Let's see...

Spike Spencer sounds very little like his Japanese counterpart, and it is pretty obvious that his voice is fake and not naturally found in humans. And they had to drag him kicking and screaming into the studio to do EoE.

Tiffany Grant has the most irritating natural voice ever bestowed upon a human being, and she likes Asuka.

Amanda Winn Lee... Oh come on, do I really have to explain this one?

The guy who did the voice of Kensuke... I don't think I have to explain this one either....

Tristan MacAvery's voice is way too whiny for Gendo.

Ditto for Keel.

Kendra Benham isn't high enough for Maya.

Ditto for the guy who played Yoda on the Instrumentality Committee.

Sue Ulu can't act. Period.

Aaron Krohm gives Kaji a slight British accent. Even though Kaji has probably never been to Britain.

Kyle Sturdivant (Kaworu) sounds totally gay.

Etc.

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2004, 17:42 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Let's see...

Spike Spencer sounds very little like his Japanese counterpart, and it is pretty obvious that his voice is fake and not naturally found in humans. And they had to drag him kicking and screaming into the studio to do EoE.

Tiffany Grant has the most irritating natural voice ever bestowed upon a human being, and she likes Asuka.

Amanda Winn Lee... Oh come on, do I really have to explain this one?

The guy who did the voice of Kensuke... I don't think I have to explain this one either....

Tristan MacAvery's voice is way too whiny for Gendo.

Ditto for Keel.

Kendra Benham isn't high enough for Maya.

Ditto for the guy who played Yoda on the Instrumentality Committee.

Sue Ulu can't act. Period.

Aaron Krohm gives Kaji a slight British accent. Even though Kaji has probably never been to Britain.

Kyle Sturdivant (Kaworu) sounds totally gay.

Etc.
Except for the gratuitous bit about Tiff liking Asuka (which is entirely to her credit :crushImage, I can't argue with any of that; especially as regards Sue Ulu, who is simply terrible, tho it doesn't help that ADV re-wrote Ritsuko's role in the dub into a sort of female Snidely Whiplash...

edit: I'm no great fan of Alison Keith as Misato (too bimbo-ish), tho she doesn't suck as spectacularly as some of the others; I actually like some of her other work, such as Sgt. Major Mao in FMP...

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2004, 17:59 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:she doesn't suck as spectacularly as some of the others

Ah yes, those are the words that I was looking for Image

I actually contacted Tiffany grant with some questions and musings, and she was kind enough to write me back! Here is what she said:

Tiffany Grant, the English dub voice of Satan, says

I agree that I did not like Amanda forcing us to mispronounce the name "Evangelion/Eva" in the movies. However, she was the director, so we were obliged to follow her.

The major hurdle right now is securing a director. This will be someone of an established reputation who has handled a major, bug budget type film before and who meets with the approval of the heads of Gainax and ADV.

The "slug" script that was written is by no means the finished version. It was written by an established, produced science fiction writer with many credits. I apologize that I am not at liberty to share his name. My husband, Matt Greenfield, who wrote the subtitled and dubbed English scripts for the TV series (also directed & produced), spent hours polishing and tweaking this script to have something to present to potential directors. This is standard procedure. There are other people who also had input into the script (other Eva authorities) as well.

Believe it or not, Matt does have quite a bit of expertise on Evengelion and has had the benefit of something most fans have not had - collaboration with the creator, Hideaki Anno himself. Mr. Anno approved the scripts and the casting choices for the series.

The final writer and director who are chosen will be people who have already made names for themselves in their fields. That's why neither Greenfield nor Anno [b]will be directing. They understand the value of experience and name recognition.

Wow... this movie might not suck after all! It's nice to know that ADV is at least smart enough to give this project to someone who can do it better than they can. I'm somewhat afraid that ADV might sacrifice a director who has spent years analyzing the source material in favor of one who has spent years making a name for himself, but hey, it's the script that makes a movie good or bad.

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2004, 23:43 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 pm

A Name for themselves? You're right, that could go either way, good or bad. I still say they should give the entire movie to a group of insane fanboys. Atleast they wouldn't get the names wrong... but I'd fear.... a lot of things....

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2004, 03:54 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:A Name for themselves? You're right, that could go either way, good or bad. I still say they should give the entire movie to a group of insane fanboys. Atleast they wouldn't get the names wrong... but I'd fear.... a lot of things....

That would be intersting. yes interesting.

Somebody with a name will try to make it work for mainstreem. They may go too far away from the original for my tastes (I believe I've posted my opinion on Peter Jackson here)

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 02:08 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

If we give it to insane fanboys, then I suggest the movie be directed by ErMaC and written by... I dunno... Ryan Xavier? No wait... Jim Lazar!

Think about how cool that would be....

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 12:53 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:If we give it to insane fanboys, then I suggest the movie be directed by ErMaC and written by... I dunno... Ryan Xavier? No wait... Jim Lazar!

Think about how cool that would be....

Think about how much money that would make!, oh, wait, do we really want to know?

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2004, 01:16 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

RE: Fuzzy's opinion of Dub VA's.

Personally, I don't see how a person's work should influence one's attitude towards them, one way or the other. I love all of the TV series EVA dub voices, but that doesn't translate into any sort of respect or dislike of them as people. They are just names and faces that I don't know personally.

Any sort of "rebuttal" would consist of eloquent praise and "No, it's not,", so I'm not going to bother for now.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2004, 19:30 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Someone has made a rather competent Fake Eva Live Action movie poster, check it out on Deviant Art:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/6174240/

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2004, 14:19 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

^ Not the worst piece of fan-art in existence, but the tag line sucks. "OMGWTF?!?" would be so much more effective.

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2004, 16:55 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Someone has made a rather competent Fake Eva Live Action movie poster, check it out on Deviant Art:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/6174240/
Damn, you beat me to it :hmph:
As for the question "Why not Jennifer Connelly as Misato?", well, her chest has seriously deflated from her glory years of "The Rocketeer" etc :bawling:, so she's not Misato material in that regard anymore, and she's getting a bit old for the part, IMHO...
Also, why have Misato on the poster, and not Shinji, Asuka, or Rei?

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2004, 17:03 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Also, why have Misato on the poster, and not Shinji, Asuka, or Rei?

Image "Uh... because she has really big thingies, and stuff."

Originally posted on: 02-Apr-2004, 17:01 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Here's the other one...

Originally posted on: 02-Apr-2004, 19:06 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Here's the other one...

Comment.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2004, 08:12 GMT

zep [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zep [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Image i will post here the same picture that you put here...

So like i thogth the pictures are false...

hehehehehe

Originally posted on: 08-Apr-2004, 00:20 GMT

Charred Knight [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charred Knight [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Of course its fake

They would have to get a studio to foot the bill, and release it, hire some actors, get the director.

All I know is that they got some pre-production sketches and scripts that their trying to use to sell the movie to a studio.

Originally posted on: 08-Apr-2004, 01:04 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”