Israfel or Israfil?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
aranami
Adam

Israfel or Israfil?

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:35 am

In my research I have come across 2 angels with similar names Israfel, the angel of song, and Israfil, the angel of final judgement. Which one was used in Eva, or are the the same angel???
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:26 am

Same angel. The spelling "Israfel" is used in NGE, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 pm

They're just different ways of rendering it. For instance, you may have seen various versions of character names in Evangelion.

Gendo
Gendoh
Gendou

Gendo's name, if broken down to hiragana, is written with four characters.

ge - n - do - u

The u at end denotes a long vowel. So the o sound at the end of the name is slightly lengthened. The problem is that people romanize the language in different ways.

For instance, in my studies of the language, I would romanize Shinji's name as Sinzi. And words like chotto as tiyotto.

When converting one language to another, especially when dealing with different scripts and mora, you end up with various ways of rendering it. Some people think one way is more appropriate than another, some are more phonetic, some are more logical, and so on and so forth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:54 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:For instance, in my studies of the language, I would romanize Shinji's name as Sinzi. And words like chotto as tiyotto.

Honestly, how on Earth can you stand it?

Apparently, converting from Hebrew (assuming that's what "Israfel" was originally written in) can be a bit more wacky than Japanese. From what I recall, "Jahweh" (or "Yahweh") and Jehovah are both transliterations of the exact same word. When dealing with angel names and things of the ilk, there are a LOT of spelling variations about, although I'm honestly not sure if this has to do with the way in which the original Hebrew (or whatever) is transliterated, actual spelling differences from source to source, or both. Certainly, it is a bit more complicated than whether or not one puts a "u" or "h" after "Gendo".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:22 pm

Reichu wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:For instance, in my studies of the language, I would romanize Shinji's name as Sinzi. And words like chotto as tiyotto.

Honestly, how on Earth can you stand it?

Yes, there's a BIG problem with "Sinzi": it sounds nothing like what the characters are saying.
Apparently, converting from Hebrew (assuming that's what "Israfel" was originally written in) can be a bit more wacky than Japanese. From what I recall, "Jahweh" (or "Yahweh") and Jehovah are both transliterations of the exact same word.

Yes, but in this particular case it wasn't caused by a transliteration difficulty. They used to, (and some people still do), spell Yahweh with no vowels, Yhwh or Jhvh, in order to make it more difficult to pronounce it accidently. (This was a safeguard against blasphemy, and whether you used Y ow J and V or W depended on which language you were transliterating it into.) What basically happened was that the people who did the earliest translations of the Bible just plain didn't know which vowels to use or where to put them, and they guessed wrong.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:00 am

thewayneiac wrote:Yes, there's a BIG problem with "Sinzi": it sounds nothing like what the characters are saying.

Depends on your perspective. It's a different transliteration system, and, according to its rules, "Sinzi" is still pronounced the same as "Shinji"; the Japanese phonemes are simply represented by the Roman alphabet differently. Personally, I prefer the more Anglo-friendly system, where the phonemes are represented more directly (i.e., how you say them), rather than symbolically (e.g., writing ち as "ti" -- rather than "chi" -- because it is part of the たちつてと sequence, even though it is audibly closer to English's "ch" sound).

Apparently, converting from Hebrew (assuming that's what "Israfel" was originally written in) can be a bit more wacky than Japanese. From what I recall, "Jahweh" (or "Yahweh") and Jehovah are both transliterations of the exact same word.

Yes, but in this particular case it wasn't caused by a transliteration difficulty. They used to, (and some people still do), spell Yahweh with no vowels, Yhwh or Jhvh, in order to make it more difficult to pronounce it accidently. (This was a safeguard against blasphemy, and whether you used Y ow J and V or W depended on which language you were transliterating it into.) What basically happened was that the people who did the earliest translations of the Bible just plain didn't know which vowels to use or where to put them, and they guessed wrong.[/quote]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:06 am

Reichu wrote:Honestly, how on Earth can you stand it?

I understand that most people use the more phonetical style, but to me

ta ti tu te to

is more logical and intuitive than:

ta chi tsu te to

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Reichu wrote:Honestly, how on Earth can you stand it?

I understand that most people use the more phonetical style, but to me

ta ti tu te to

is more logical and intuitive than:

ta chi tsu te to

But in this case logic and intuition are wildly inaccurate.

The good thing about writing systems that are completely different than ours is that we can transliterate them in a phonetically accurtae manner, a luxury we don't have with other languages that use the Roman alphabet. For instance we are stuck with French's spellings, and they are stuck with ours.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:05 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Yes, there's a BIG problem with "Sinzi": it sounds nothing like what the characters are saying.

The values given to the conventional Latin glyphs vary across the languages that make use of them - the English and German versions of W or V differ substantially. This is without going into the weird and wonderful world of con-langs, like the quirky Ceqli (pron. Chenglee).

thewayneiac wrote:Yes, but in this particular case it wasn't caused by a transliteration difficulty. They used to, (and some people still do), spell Yahweh with no vowels, Yhwh or Jhvh, in order to make it more difficult to pronounce it accidently.

I believe that the use of vowel markings in Hebrew is considered akin to training wheels (like hiragana for Japanese).

The Jewish attitude towards enunciating the tetragrammaton is something different - such as the use of "Adoshem" as a safer form of "Adonai" which itself is a watered down form of the tetragrammaton (or spelling the English form as G*d).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:14 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I believe that the use of vowel markings in Hebrew is considered akin to training wheels (like hiragana for Japanese).

Don't you mean furigana?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:40 pm

Reichu wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:I believe that the use of vowel markings in Hebrew is considered akin to training wheels (like hiragana for Japanese).

Don't you mean furigana?

Yes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:19 am

I have also heard this. In addition, I have heard from some hardcore bible scholars (friends of my father) that in many cases there is little way of knowing how ancient Hebrew was actually pronounced, since it is difficult or even sometimes impossible to tell what the vowel sounds would have been, from the way that they are written in scripture.

While I have no direct knowledge of the subject myself, due to my own lack of interest in religious studies of any kind, they also maintain that there are likely to be wide divergences between the way that 'revived' or modern Hebrew is pronounced by modern Israelis and Jewish scholars, and the way in which Ancient Hebrew was pronounced by the Biblical Israelites.

While checking these points to ensure that they were not entirely bogus, I came across this, which may interest anyone with a linguistic bent:

http://www.yrm.org/vowelsqna.htm

It seems to confirm in a loose sense that which I have been told, and which Mr. Tines had previously stated.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”