Administrators' Noticeboard

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

V
Banned

Administrators' Noticeboard

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:13 am

This noticeboard is a location to discuss and coordinate administrative tasks for Evapedia.

It serves as a location for administrators to coordinate their efforts on major maintenance tasks or projects, as well as a place for our contributors to be able to bring things to the attention of the admins if something needs to be done: if you need a "Protected" page to be edited, if you would like to request that a page be deleted, you can do that here.

More importantly, this noticeboard is also the place to alert administrators to a newly registered user who is vandalizing the site, alert administrators if you are being blatantly harassed, or if you are in an argument with another user and want the Administrators to arbitrate the situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might just want to "flag down" an Administrator by contacting them via their "User Talk Page" on Evapedia itself. Please do this for smaller issues, because it is faster and we don't want this board cluttered up: i.e. if a newly registered account is just a spam-bot. You could just say on the "Talk" page of an article that you would like it to be deleted (you can also write on the Talk pages of a "Protected" page, just not the actual article). Please just use your own common sense and bring something up here if it is a major problem you are facing that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admins. ***This isn't a place for asking generic questions about how to write things on Evapedia (there are several policy-pages, such as a tutorial, Rules and Regulations, and Standards & Conventions page, where you should look up this information, and ask questions on the ""Talk" pages of those policy-pages if you have them. Try not to clutter up the Administrators' Noticeboard with things that aren't so important that you couldn't have just asked them elsewhere.

Normally, the "Administrators' Noticeboard" would be located on the MedaWiki part of a site. However, in order to make sure that the Evapedia does not become isolated from the messageboards, and to combat the rise of wiki-addicts on Evapedia, the Administrators' Noticeboard has been moved here to the forums.

So please feel free to officially contact the Admins through here. However, never ask an Admin for help in private. Asking them for help on their user talk page is fine, but do not make a clandestine e-mail to an Admin, demanding that action be taken against another user or article project. These will be ignored. Rest assured, Evapedia operates under the Pirates' Code, and the "Right of Parley" will always be honored: you can bring any complaint you want to the Administrators publicly without fear of any reprisal; no subject will ever be taboo.

Also please use this Noticeboard to alert the Administrators to events affecting the Evapedia as a whole. Things like "wow I went to a convention, met a writer or cast member for the show, and they wanted to contact us" or "I think someone copy-pasted material from Evapedia and is using it on their fansite (or wikipedia.org itself) without permission".
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Wait... Does that mean I should have put this here?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Well, there is overlap.

At the least, "Current Events" should not include complaints to Admins about conflicts with other members.

However, I intentionally moved current eventy-stuff to the forums here so that I would be giving myself less control over it; moving to the forums and "outside of my juristiction"

....then again, "current events" is in media-wiki which is a great way to see what is "current"

I don't know.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Thoughts have been paddled around of trying to launch the site by October 4th. Much more feasible than V's own goal (September 1st?!?), but probably not at our current speed and amount of geekpower.

And things should be systematized somewhat. What should be considered the first order(s) of business?

For the encyclopedia, we probably want to get the "main" articles (episodes/movies, characters, Evas, Angels -- any others?) ready to rumble, which would mean a minimal level of distraction with the Other Stuff. The episode pages really need formal guidelines, which I ought to work out with V. Not enough experimentation has been done with Character and Eva pages to get a feel for how they should be handled. Angel pages aren't doing too bad overall, but they're not public-ready either.

I want to get as much of the Old Site moved over as possible. The Geektionary (mess as it is) is still being worked on. I imagine the remaining non-commentary content seems deceptively small, but it will take a bit of work.

As for the Commentary itself... I'm working my way up to it, gradually, considering it is, in its way, the most complicated and ambitious feature. The three years of cobwebs and shift to MediaWiki are going to make this a lot of work. The most I could hope to finish by October 4th is a port of the OP. And I'll have to be a very discliplined student starting September 6th to get in some good geek-hours at all.

There's a number of other things that would need to happen, but I won't mention them at the moment.

Obviously, we need to find a way to get more people. I'd have thought my initial efforts would have yielded more successes, but... Do any of you have suggestions? Names that come to mind? People you know who seem like they'd be good for this?

In any case, twenty yen for your thoughts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Will be ready to launch by September 1st.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:51 pm

I sense a communication problem.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 am

The Evapedia itself will be up to snuff by September 1st.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:56 am

Rei-chan wrote:Obviously, we need to find a way to get more people. I'd have thought my initial efforts would have yielded more successes, but... Do any of you have suggestions? Names that come to mind? People you know who seem like they'd be good for this?

Hopefully it's okay if I give my twenty yen, but we need MOAR Eva fans from EMF and ANF to get things going, I think. At least they know what's going on with the show more or less, but weather or not they'd each put in the work is another thing entirely, I guess (e.g: Real Life being too busy, not having enough motivation and/or not being THAT into Eva, etc...).

The various names of various people that come to mind, feel free to let me know if they're already members of this (if any of 'em are, clearly I'm not paying attention :tongue:): Shin-Seiki-sama, Tines-ojichan, Smith, Anonymous Eva Fan, Obsessive Maths Freak, Eva Yojimbo, Brik-kun, teh Eva Monkey, MD Wigs-sama, Ornette Coleman, as well as some gurls who's names I can't recall... SEELE08 and Seventh_Child come to mind, but I thought there were some more female Eva-geeks on EMF than just the circa 5+ of us. :shinji_eyebrow:

Your thoughts?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:47 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Hopefully it's okay if I give my twenty yen

Tis many times preferable to silence.

but we need MOAR Eva fans from EMF and ANF to get things going, I think. At least they know what's going on with the show more or less, but weather or not they'd each put in the work is another thing entirely, I guess

Most people do seem to be allergic to actual work. Over the years, I can't count how many times I've heard, "When's the Commentary going to be back? When's the Commentary going to back?" If I tell them, "Hey, YOU want to work on this thing?", most don't seem too eager. I've gotten offers of help over the years, but by and large my view of "help" has been a cynical one.

Especially now, the majority of offers have just been people who interpret "helping" as doing one of the very things for which we need help in the first place: commentating. Do people really think those pages pop out of thin air and those comments magically appear there on their own? Seriously. Most fans just want their words to be immortalized somewhere on the Internet, but they don't want to do the behind-the-scenes "work" to help make it happen.

Yeah, I know some people can't pitch in because they actually have lives, but it's like anything else -- if you really want to do it, you'll make time. Every little bit helps.

The various names of various people that come to mind, feel free to let me know if they're already members of this

Shin-seiki: On board, but hasn't done very much.
Mr. Tines: On board; seems to be taking a "break".
BobBQ: Signed up. Did a couple of things, but largely absentee so far.
AEF: Contacted him two different ways; never heard back (which I've found somewhat upsetting).
OMF: Yes.
Eva Yojimbo: Yes.
Brik-kun: Didn't actually ask, though I'm sure he's aware of our predicament. You two are working together; maybe you can attempt to lure him...
Eva Monkey: Sort of.
MD Wigs: Didn't ask. I should probably drop him a line, though I get a feeling he's done with NGE, aside from the periodic "I'm still alive" post.
Ornette: Yes.
Seele08: Automatically rejected for history of trolling.
Seventh_Child: Didn't ask.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:10 pm

Well I'll help comment, but you already knew that I don't know any Japanese so I really cannot help out there.

I would have tried to start commenting on episode 5 of my own initiative, just to get the ball rolling, but then thought that might upset you.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:43 pm

Reichu wrote:Especially now, <SNIP> Seriously. Most fans just want their words to be immortalized somewhere on the Internet, but they don't want to do the behind-the-scenes "work" to help make it happen.

That makes a good point. It's SUCH a pet peeve of mine when people want to get credit for things but don't do any actual work. Yeah, people are entitled to some slight laziness and/or if real life is too freaking hectic then fine don't do it, but COME ON. If you really care about something for whatever reason, then PUT THE TIME INTO IT. Like you said, Rachel, every little bit helps.

For instance, although I'm going to be hella busy with my upcoming 4th Year of College (before transferring to University in Fall '08), I'm going to make sure to REALLY keep my butt in gear (Depression/Anxiety when it kicks in as well as just being too tired to care about things has bit me in the ass several times in the past. Must...prevent such things from occurring...again!) with studies and the like not just for my own sanity as well as passing, but so I can at least have some time on the weekends/holidays to keep contributing to the FGP. /:rant:

Postman G does not approve!
[url]http://www12.big.or.jp/~bhbf/Asuka/silly/pg-op.htm[/url]
(Mainsite: [url]http://www12.big.or.jp/~bhbf/Asuka/index.htm[/url])

Oh, and as a random aside, here's a little something I've found that I've been meaning to give you (can be used as a Chara Smiley I suppose?) on some Japanese Eva fansite somewhat recently (like, last month, me thinks). Image
One can never have too much Yui-sama! SAUCE: http://werthers.jugem.jp/ (Also has cute ASCI (sp?) art of the charas. Just click on the famous Rei's Diner image.)

RE: Brik-kun: Though Brik and I are working on the EoTV/EoE Episodes Concurrency Project together (we changed the name to something else, 'can't recall what ATM.), I haven't been in touch with him since EMF asploded off-line.... Which rather sucks on my part as I need to contact him (his two blogs don't have an email address or anything to reach him at) about something with said Project. >_< In before, "Gah!"

Ooh, I just thought of somebody else that could possibly help. What about his Partner-in-Crime as it were, Nawvery (butchered him name, probably)? Y'know, the dude that came up with the Intentional Overanalysis of Asuka/Shinji bonking at some point in the series?

RE: Japanese Knowledge: It's something, I can at least read/write Kana as well as speak/understand basic things, though when it comes to Kanji, it's rather, um, hard. And of course, I have the <s>downright insane</s> overambitious hopes of translating a certain Post-3I A/S H-doujin that's actually WAFFy (hint: Utamaru Press is the Doujin group) during what's left of Summer...

RE: Actually participating in the Commentary: I'd be interested in such things, truth be told, though I dunno if I'd have what it takes. Either way, I'd want to "earn" such a spot by putting in my fair share of Geek-Labor first. Since hardwork is rewarding and all.

In closing, people being even more lazier/apathetic than yours truly can be = Teh Sux. (And no, I don't mean Real Life getting in the way, as RL is and ten times more important than nerding out, no matter how unpleasant/hard said RL can be.) Hmm...That sounds like a twisted version of what the final scene's about... Silly Anno.

But, never fear, for "If you create it, they will come." Or some such quote.

....Wow, I can *really* ramble when I get going.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:48 pm

....Did nobody end up responding to this because I made an ass of myself somehow (Didn't mean such things if that's the case) or was there simply nothing to reply to with my possibly confused-sounding rambling?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:30 pm

None Of The Above -- it's been hard for me to settle down and think these past few days.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear that...I'll try to do what I can with my "job" on here to make things less stressful for you then.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:53 pm

the last "Eva-00 vs Ritsuko" thread I think successfully reached a resolution on a difference we encountered on the wiki, instead of just reverting stuff.

However, Reichu said not to clutter up a million threads but instead just have one to address problems on: so why not do that here?

That is, if there's something that got reverted you feel shouldn't have been, could we just bring it up in this thread? We'll hash it out on here, so instead of just one or two of "Teh Admins" reverting something we'll be able to say a majority of us agreed or disagreed about keeping something up.

How about this Reichu?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”