Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Hmm. ADV in trouble?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:53 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-01-28/adv-films-removes-titles-from-website

Also, the ANF thread talking about it-
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211952

If they're in trouble, they hopefully won't get to dub Rebuild.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:04 am

Meh. Hope they get in trouble. :wink: I want some one else to do the dubbing.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 am

They need to stay in business at least long enough to release Gurren Lagann.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 am

Hey, Answerman!'s latest article talks about this.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2008-01-25
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:32 am

Smokin' nicely, from the looks of things.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:51 am

LAEM might be in trouble then.

Have you no respect for continuity!? Rebuild dubbed into english with Spencer, Keith and the rest would be awesome!
I mean, Tenchi Muyo is (in hindsight) shit, but had they only managed to convince Petrea Burchard to portray Ryoko once again for the final OAVs, I would've been on those DVDs.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 am

Really? Watch GitS 2nd GIG dub and tell me that's not the treatment you want for Rebuild.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 am

(Simpson's Nelson laugh) Ha-Ha!
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Really? Watch GitS 2nd GIG dub and tell me that's not the treatment you want for Rebuild.

Haven't picked that box up yet, actually. You mean there's a bunch of new voices there? How about Mr. Epcar? Or the guy that's done Aramaki in every english dub since '96?
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 am

Is there a massive case of naked children there too? That was animejunkies trademark.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 am

yeah this doesn't sound good for LAEM either...

....I think whoever dubs Rebuild would probably re-hire the same voice cast, but we wouldn't get AWL's scripting
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm hoping they don't, because I want to see Tiffany Grant's reaction to not being able to play Asuka.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm

*Snickers at Universalperson's thoughts* Agreed. :leekspin:

It's nice in a way to see ADV taken down a peg, though I was hoping this would first happen to Mangle.

Oh well.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:38 pm

what would an eva movie dub be with no black Hyuga, guys???!!
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm really ticked off about Moonlight Mile. The licensing scared fansubbers away from the 2nd half (though one subbed episode did appear a couple of weeks ago, I have no idea as yet if there are going to be any more). The only other title there on my honesty list is Gurren Lagann which (for some strange reason) was subbed despite licensing at a similar point in its run.

Of course, if they don't want me to pay them money for anything...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Oh God!

I'm so happy that in Brazil there ain't any dubs!
NO AWL! NO "It means Penis"!

Well... actually there WAS a dub. But that is deep down in the ocean now. :grin:
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Gurren Lagann which (for some strange reason) was subbed despite licensing at a similar point in its run.

Because GL was so epically awesome, people had to know how it ended, despite the possibility of legal ramifications.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Really? Watch GitS 2nd GIG dub and tell me that's not the treatment you want for Rebuild.

No. Every single Manga Entertainment DVD I have has some problem with it. For the GitS S.A.C. 1st Gig the subs got more and more out of synch as the episode went on, making it unwatchable. My other GitS DVD has dodgy pixelation on some dark scenes, as does my Patlabor movies. Manga Entertainment fucked up the video quality on EoE, and have completely failed to do anything about it. At least I feel I can trust ADV to make a good translation with professional subtitles and good quality video/sound.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 pm

Can somone clue me in why ADV is so hated when it comes to picking up a show?

For me the reasons are simply that they're all pretty talentless blowhards who in their commentary tracks (all 2 I've listened too) pat each other on the back for a job done mediocre and ignoring the original creators.

But as long as they supply me with the Japanese audio and subtitles that are professionally done I'm cool.

I'd prefer to see ADV pick them up simply to know the digital transfer would be spotless.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 pm

Oh God no, I really hope this is not the case. Their dubs sucks but so does nearly everyones and their only grave sin is their NGE commentaries.

But ADV is biggest anime publisher around and if it goes down like Geneon some time ago... Bad times indeed

Can you imagine how horrible it would be if titles such as 5 Centimeters per Second, Gurren Lagann and Welcome to the NHK are cancelled?

Return to “Anime and Manga”