The Earlier Episodes -- Huh.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:58 am

Kaysow wrote:May be, but I don't think they ever intended from scratch to take it this far. That was a result of the budget getting fucked and the director going insane. Otherwise it'd probably ended up with some plottwists at the end, but without the fuck-you-this-is-my-show-I-do-what-I-want-with-it-you-already-took-your-money-out-attitude.
It's hard to know exactly what they intended, but I think if you look at all the foreshadowing, the character development, and the thematic development, it's hard for me to say that they didn't have a good portion of the second half planned in advance.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:38 am

Anno was insane before he started NGE. If anything, he was less insane during that point. (I wouldn't call him insane at all though, just madly depressed)

Budget getting screwed, AND TV Tokyo not liking the content. But we got EoE later, and we got EoTV, which is amazing for supporting arguments.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Having just re-watched the whole series with some friends, I had the opposite feeling. I felt that the early episodes were bright and vibrant, and the characters, while in one sense less realistic (and that definitely includes their facial expressions...lol) seemed more energetic. Of course, that makes sense since a few of them were really on a steady path toward depression by the end of things, but hey.

In an artistic sense, the set-up is really good in that the initial arc was action-packed and (generally) more light-hearted, while the middle and into the end was very heavy stuff and more psychologically-focused. The contrast is wonderful but also a little saddening. I mean, a lot of the main characters seemed pretty happy and like they got along well... but by the end we find that was nothing but a front, and they only superficially got along. They didn't really know each other at all. Sad. But artistically, very well done.

My $0.02.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Well, if you never went up, you can never go down can you?

IMO, the action and prologue arc is crucial. They can't stand on their own feet if they want to be a NGE-style hit, but it explains the story and sets the scene in a way so it can be absolutely destroyed later. If there isn't the first two arcs, the descent arc wouldn't be so cool, but just a WTmindF!?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Operation Yashima wrote:Well, if you never went up, you can never go down can you?
You summed up all my ramblings into one cogent, intelligent sentence. Well done. :lol: :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Operation Yashima wrote:
IMO, the action and prologue arc is crucial. They can't stand on their own feet if they want to be a NGE-style hit, but it explains the story and sets the scene in a way so it can be absolutely destroyed later. If there isn't the first two arcs, the descent arc wouldn't be so cool, but just a WTmindF!?

Of course series couldn't possibly begin with descent arc. There's no storyteller that bad, not even Uwe Boll.

And first half of Evangelion was HUGE hit. It was nigh-perfect in what it seemed to be. Storytelling, pacing, voice actors et all was pretty much pinnacle of mechagenre. There's reason why most enthuastic reviewers in Japan (don't have link , sorry) claimed it was best series since one of the very first Gundams (if not first). And show did win Animage Grand Prix twice (as did EoE, giving Anno his fourth prize*. :) ).

That is all, felt I had to correct this. First half was as good as traditional storytelling of the genre could be during it's original airing. ;)

Personally I found even fights to be enthralling and rather imaginative for the genre, ep 9's one is absolutely glorious. And there's no genre I hate more than mecha. Seriously, 99 % everything with even the word should burn in hell.

* First was from Nadia (if someone didn't know that and wondered what it was )

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:19 pm

What you said is true. Both the original concept and the production was world class, but it was all that WTmindF that made it unique and attract Otakus like us to it.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Tut tut tut. Operation Yashima, do not quote entire posts needlessly. Teh Reichu does not approve.

Anno won the first for Nadia, the next two for TV Evangelion and the last for End of Evangelion. The prizes were given year-wise, so Nadia was handed over in 1990, the NGE prizes in 1995 and 96(Since the NGE run spanned both years), and EoE in 97.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”