Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:12 am

Mr. Tines wrote:@birdy
Presumably these are all BL of some degree -- but beyond that a few words of recommendation would not go amiss; why these particular titles, as opposed to others.

No they aren't...

GodChild: Definately. SPOILER: After volume 6, how can it not be?? ;p .
But ES and Hot Gimmick... not really. I can't see any BL in ES not in Hot Gimmick. Fanfiction: sure... but... within the series? None at all.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Now, about the thing about Death Note, so what if you can kill people by writing their name down? It isn't spectacuar.

@Ms. Birdy
Is there any reason to such that we should read BL mangas? Any points of interests etc.? (people, I know you people know that I do not take a fancy at these things, but I just want to know the opinion of someone who likes it)
I feel old

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Now, about the thing about Death Note, so what if you can kill people by writing their name down? It isn't spectacuar.

In real life that would be. >:/
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 pm

*sigh* in actuallity, NONE of those are BL... NONE! :(
GodChild could be considered... but, it's not. The explanations of the situations and such say that the two guys aren't in love. :(

Hot Gimmick is not BL at all and neither is ES (though... I'm not done with ES yet... I'm gonna ask for the rest of the series for my birthday. :D)
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:39 am

birdyofthemoongoddess wrote:*sigh* in actuallity, NONE of those are BL... NONE! :(

My apologies for guessing based on slight clues; so pray, what is it about each of those titles that makes you want to recommend them (art? story? subject?)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:50 pm

GodChild: Art.
ES: Story and Art (I Really like her style!)
Hot Gimmick: Story.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Aka_Stains
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aka_Stains » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:10 pm

I think Death Note is sublime!! Everyone should read and/or watch Death Note!! yeah for L!!

<3.

"death

Okay, besides being sublime, the plot is magnificent!!!!!!

L is sexy.

Light is sexy.

Wammy is nasty.

Who can deny that??

DN Angel kicks ass!

The anime doesn't. : (
http://www.myspace.com/rockersuniteyea

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:12 pm

More manga to recommend:

Here is Greenwood.

About an all boy's school and how the boys go through high school life. Slice-of-life manga. A bit cute. Old-school??

I thought it was interesting and soft... A good side manga or... um... rest manga, I guess... Something easy and more carefree than something like Death Note. :D
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:05 am

Mars by Fuyumi Soryo (15 volumes)

One of the most stunning pieces of romance I've ever read. The plot follows the story of Kira Aso: a normal high school girl who has plain looks, a shy personality and has few friends, and Rei Kashino: a rebellious high school boy who flirts with all hot girls, rides his motorcycle everywhere and lives in poverty on his own.
The two high schoolers meet at a park close to their homes. Kira is there drawing pictures of the people walking around. The wind blows some of her pictures away from her and Rei, who just happens to be there, helps her pick them up. Noticing that one picture portrays a mother holding her baby child Rei's facial expression becomes slightly sad and he comments on how he never knew a mother's love. Both think nothing of their first encounter, but... it was just the beginning.
Later, it seems that whenever something happens to one, the other is close by... at the right place at the right time. Eventually, a love sprouts... a love tainted with forbidden juice since Rei is poor, a slight manwhore, dangerous and daring while Kira comes from a quiet, soft home.
Of course, the plot isn't all love and heartwarming stories of fluff. Both Kira and Rei have their own dark pasts and haunting experiences which tie them even closer together as they experience what love is and how when you fall into it, there's no getting out.
Non-plot wise, Mars has beautiful artwork that's quite unique to the artist. Each panel seems to have been created with care and hard-work. The characters designs fit the character's personalities and the flow of the story.

Rei Kashino

Enjoy!
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Okay, Death Note? Here's why I like it, anyway:

The potential for moral complexity (I say potential, because at times it's obvious who the author wants us to root for)

Novelty factor of putting a well-intentioned extremist as the main character

A true battle of brains, with characters using strategy to out-think each other. Some feel it becomes increasingly ludicrous, or at least degenerates into talking heads. Mileage may vary, but still, it's better than just fighting over who has the biggest war machine.

The suspense created from the aforementioned conflict.

Wonderful spooky atmosphere and twisted creature designs.

I also want to spread some love for Hellsing, which is...wild is how I can put it in a word. Bloody, indulgent carnage and off-the-wall humour. Plus Sir Integral Hellsing, who is the goddess of awesome.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:04 pm

I shall also recommend Hayate no gotoku (for gag-manga fans-not my personal favourite), MONSTER, High School of the Dead for those who like those cheap horror films + manga (warning: lots of clichéd/ripped off scenes), Sgt. Frog (Keroro gunso) for those who wants to look for Eva parodies/gag-manga fans, fans of slightly older mangas- Rurou ni kenshin, for people feeling nostalgic (well, applies more to Japanese people) Doraemon and all the other older mangas which I cannot conjure from my memory. Oh one last thing before I drift somewhere else- EDEN (warning: sexual content later on in the series)
I feel old

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:15 pm

YOTSUBATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

usagiko
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby usagiko » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:51 am

For me, I like the more obscure stuff. Even though I'm a girl, I go with Seinen more than shoujo.

I suggest:
- Detroit Metal City
- Cloth Road
- Venus Versus Virus
- Sayounara Zetsubou-Sensei
- Nougami Neuro
- Shoujo Sect
- Claymore
- Kodomo no Jikan
- Ichigo Mashimaro
- Key the Metal Idol
- Boogiepop Phantom
- Boogiepop Phantom: Loser's Circle
- Dogs
- Dogs: Bullets & Carnage
- Mushishi
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (all of them yay)
- Twin Spica
- Gokinjo Monogatari
- Tsukihime
- Fate Stay/Night
- Yotsubato!
- Rosario + Vampire
- Kaiji
- Lucky Star
- Spice & Wolf
- Aria
- Akagi
- Tegamibachi (Letter Bee)
- Moyashimon
- Kaibutsu Oujo
- School Days
- Mirai Nikki
- XXXHOLiC
- NHK ni Youkoso!
- Variante

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm not the only one out there reading Dogs? Cool.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Final episode now out.

Mr. Tines wrote:Image
The End of NaruTaru

An Anonymous of /a/ has stepped in an scanlated the final volume (check rapidsearch for details). You all can read it at last!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:20 am

mmmmmm XXXholic! :D That one's pretty good. In the amazing clamp style! :D
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:46 pm

This first recommendation is what i would consider my favorite Manga of all time, Devilman

The TV series, the OVAs don't do the Manga justice. The story is epic and there are just some scenes that actually made me say "holy shit thats so awesome". It also has one of the best endings I've ever seen in anything.
Its very rare and hard to find, it took me years to find the entire thing, and even now i only have the first 2 vol. in English, but its still amazing stuff and if you ever get a chance to check it out, do so and consider your self lucky.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 am

If you can find it. Read Golden Boy. It almost enters hentai realm after Volume 2. Its still cool though. "Lif is to Study"
I won.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 am

Mirai Nikki is pretty awesome. Its about a group of people who get "diaries" on their cell phones, which give them special abilities. The catch is that they must hunt down the other diary holders battle royale style and kill them. I like it because the female lead is a complete psycho.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:06 pm

More from GodChild:

It was a gift for a friend. ... thought I'd show it you "y'all" to evoke your want to read the amazing series. (It had a strange yet beautiful ending.)
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Return to “Anime and Manga”