[LAEM] Renaming our characters

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Renaming our characters

Postby MAGI » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:25 pm

An awful task, but...

Here we are. We'll try to attempt to give good names to our beloved characters that gives them justice. I'll give my own and you can too if you can.
Naming the characters must not be superficial like because it sounds close to the original names or because it's funny or whatever. Name the characters because of the meanings behind them.

Here are some from me:

Rei - Marion (after Marion Crane from Psycho; "spelled not with an A but an O - signifying emptiness" -filmsite.org; the lady who was about to turn over a new leaf, took a shower then got murdered) OR Mary (I intended this to be Yui's name... see her for more info)
Misato - Kathryn (after Kathryn Brewster from Terminator 3; can unexpectedly pick up a gun and fire it at a flying machine; it sounds fitting)
Gendou - Hans (shortened from Hannibal after Hannibal Lector; smart, intelligent man but deadly insane yet sure of himself)
Kensuke - Chris (sorry, but I think it sounds fitting)
Toji - Tod (originally going to be Tom, but it's way too you-know-what-I-mean; if you read it in German, it's 'death' which describes what Toji had a close brush with later on; sounds fitting)
Maya Ibuki - Maya Ibuki (she must definitely be Japanese!)
Hyuga - Mike (sorry, but I think it sounds fitting)
Yui - Mary (after the Virgin Mary, Mother of God; she is a great mother in my opinion; is almost perfectly fitting in my opinion | However, the support for this name to Rei is that Mary is part of the Trinity and is a virgin (relating to Rei not 'bleeding'))
Kaworu - Kim (Usually a girl's name, but is masculine Scandinavian; after Kim from a Hong Kong action movie "Future Cops"; a hansome bad-guy comes from the future under the guise of a cool high-school teacher; in the end, he betrays his master and joins the good guys)
Kouzou - Brian (sorry, but I think it sounds fitting)
Keel Lorenz - Keel Lorenz (he should be German, I think)
Pen Pen - Pen Pen (how adorable!)

Ikari - Morgan (after the Morgan family from The Ring; the mother was not meant to have a child - a girl who brings death, relating to Rei the Thanatos; father is an asshole, mother disappeared (commited suicide, but close enough); 'mor' and 'cant' is Old Welsh meaning 'sea' and 'circle' which relates slightly to Ikari meaning 'anchor')
Suzuhara - Forrest (after Forrest Gump; a boy who has half-crippled legs; 'For' is the beginning in Ford, a car company, as like 'Suzu' is found in Suzuki, also a car company)
Fuyutsuki - Wintermann (the Kanji for 'Fuyu' means winter; mann is close to 'mona', which is Old English for 'moon', which is what the Kanji for 'tsuki' gets you (actually also gives you 'month', but moon is more appropriate giving the allusion to Lilith's moon and whatnot))

That's as far as I can think, I won't even touch Shinji's name.
Feel free to discuss my selection or add your own.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:26 am

Rei- Rei is a perfectly acceptable English name MAGI; even if they do decide to "Americanize" the characters I seriously doubt any changes would be made.
Misato- Kathryn. Works for me.
Gendou- Hans. No, just no. Sounds too damn henchman like, and too comedic.
Kensuke- Chris. Fine.
Maya- Maya. Fine.
Yui- Mary. Can't do it, just doesn't feel the same.
Kaworu- Kim. Perfect! This suits the final angel perfectly.
Kozou- Who cares? His first name never comes up in the show, why bother with it in the movies?
Keel- Keel. Obviously none of the minor characters need to be changed.
Pen Pen- Pen Pen. Steve is a better name.

Ikari- Morgan. Can't really say anything about this with a possible first name for Shinji, and damn is that one a doozy.
Fuyutsuki- Wintermann. It could work, I suppose. But it shouldn't be that hard to come up with something better, should it?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:55 am

Screw you guys! Everybody shall be renamed Sanchez!

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

aCynicalPie
Embryo

Postby aCynicalPie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:00 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Screw you guys! Everybody shall be renamed Sanchez!

I second this notion! All against, say "I".

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:19 am

I.

But why are you flaming me?

=============================

Dave wrote:Rei- Rei is a perfectly acceptable English name MAGI; even if they do decide to "Americanize" the characters I seriously doubt any changes would be made.
Misato- Kathryn. Works for me.
Gendou- Hans. No, just no. Sounds too damn henchman like, and too comedic.
Kensuke- Chris. Fine.
Maya- Maya. Fine.
Yui- Mary. Can't do it, just doesn't feel the same.
Kaworu- Kim. Perfect! This suits the final angel perfectly.
Kozou- Who cares? His first name never comes up in the show, why bother with it in the movies?
Keel- Keel. Obviously none of the minor characters need to be changed.
Pen Pen- Pen Pen. Steve is a better name.

Ikari- Morgan. Can't really say anything about this with a possible first name for Shinji, and damn is that one a doozy.
Fuyutsuki- Wintermann. It could work, I suppose. But it shouldn't be that hard to come up with something better, should it?

If they can keep it Rei, then I'm happy with that. Hans sounds pretty weird to me, as well, but that's the best I can come up with. I mean, Hans Zimmer bears that name, so I thought people won't mind. :oops: I'm happy with Mary to Yui, and there seems to be no other name that's as good. I'm glad you like Kim, as I was unsure about it, myself. For the sake of whatever it should be for, we'll give Kouzou a first name in case the people in the movie mention his first name. His last name was something I made up at the last minute, and I think it could work. If you've got a better one, let me hear it. I'm also not at all commited to Morgan at this point, and am thinking of something else. It's a little bit of a joke, actually. As for Pen Pen... Steve is a name you'd give a technician, I think.

New thoughts:
Hikari - Emma (sounds fitting)
Ayanami - Sullivan (doesn't sound too fitting at first, but that's all I got so far; from the Irish "Súileabhán" meaning "little dark eye"; say her entire name together - "Marion Sullivan" - it's ringing a bell in my ears)
ココにいても、いいの?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:58 am

BOOOOOO!! Get of the stage!

BTW, I can assure you that if they go changing names, they're not keeping any of the originals.

_get some help

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:45 am

If you hate me that much, quit visiting this thread.
Anyway, they most definitely aren't keeping everything Japanese, so might as well strike before they do. "There's no use complaining about something that's been set in stone." -Ritsuko
They could learn to be flexible - them ADV - at names. If someone is remaining Japanese, then keep their names. :)
ココにいても、いいの?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:51 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:BOOOOOO!! Get of the stage!

BTW, I can assure you that if they go changing names, they're not keeping any of the originals.

I have enough faith to believe that Rei's first name will not change. Your assurance means nothing to me.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:32 pm

Well, first off, I don't know how great it is to go naming the characters after other characters.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with flexibility. It's about marketability. Why preserve some names for the sake of pleasing fans when it's just going to create unecessary confusion in distinguishing between the the different dimentionalizations? Only old/mentor/auxilliary characters even have a chance of receiving that treatment.

_get some help

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:37 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Well, first off, I don't know how great it is to go naming the characters after other characters.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with flexibility. It's about marketability. Why preserve some names for the sake of pleasing fans when it's just going to create unecessary confusion in distinguishing between the the different dimentionalizations? Only old/mentor/auxilliary characters even have a chance of receiving that treatment.

Marketability my ass, having Rei keep her name won't do anything to affect the movies marketability. There is simply no reason to change such a perfect name when it also happens to fit in English. Confusion in distinguishing between the movie and the anime? Please, your going to have to come up with a better reason than that.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:51 pm

It's actually a damn good reason, really. Confusion in the smallest sense, granted, but preserving one element and shifting others for the sake of convenience is like splicing a section of one painting into another, even if it is just a character name. There is also no way of declaring one name perfect over another. "Because it fits so well in English" is not a reason to keep it at all. Names have nothing to do with English. You could name one of the characters Jose; it makes no difference.

_get some help

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:50 am

I've thought about it, and I've come to the conclusion that you've got your own ideas about renaming characters. This is the perfect time to put them down, on this thread, and contribute to the... discussion - if you'd like.

I name the characters because it sounds appropriate, firstly. It just so happens that many of them are inspired by other names, just as Anno had to make decisions on what to name characters. He named them after warships, and book characters and Sailormoon. I try to keep names up with the same spirit.

So, Hexon, instead of "your names suck, go to hell" we'll be much happier for you to go "your names suck, here are mine." If you believe the characters should not be renamed, even though they will be, inevitably, then here is not the place for you. Otherwise, just play along.
Once we have the complete list that everyone has a consensus upon, we'll immediately email it to Matt, demanding for these names! :D It's better than letting him name Shinji "Bob" and whatever without us knowing till it's too late.
ココにいても、いいの?

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:08 pm

Shinji- Sean (and spell it like that, it just seems more unique)
Asuka- Amber (A fantastic name for a pretty redhead)
Rei- Rei (I believe this name would work in english just as well as it did in Japanese)
Misato- Kathryn (Good name, but I don't like your explantion why Magi)
Kaji- Joseph (NOT JOE, but Joseph)
Maya- Maya (It works fine as well)
Shigeru- Michael (He seems more like a Michael than Makoto does)
Makoto- Peter (I just like this one)
Ritsuko- Marie (After Marie Currie)
Touji- Dave (Because I said so)
Kensuke- John (I have a friend who's named John, and he is a computer guru, so it works for me)
Hikari- Rebecca (A pretty name for a pretty girl)
Kaworu- Chris (It's more gender neutral than Kim)
Gendo- Ahab (If you have to ask why, go hit yourself)
Kouzou- Sebastian (Sounds like an intelligent name, so it fits him)
Yui- No clue really, but I don't like Mary.

In reality though I will complain to all bloody hell when (and if) the live action movie is made and they change the names, even if they are one that I picked. I just think the names are fine the way they are, and if someone is too stupid to accept a foreign name. Screw them, I don't care.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:06 pm

I'm with Hex on this one. It doesn't really matter. All I think is that they might try to have the new names sounds similar to the original ones.

aCynicalPie
Embryo

Postby aCynicalPie » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:21 am

p0w
Here's a good thread.
http://forums.trivialbeing.net/index.php?showtopic=1644

It's like this:
Why are you naming the characters? To fit Western ideals? I don't know.
If you want to rename some of the characters, rename them all. And while you're at it, change their hair colors and personalities too!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:36 am

"INEVITABLE" is the only word I consider obscene. Hell fuck yes, it's obscene.

Hex, you make me chuckle.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:59 am

All these years, I seriously thought I lived amongst people who at least understood the human weaknesses and could at least identify them. Maybe I am wrong. It's just, a lot of what I'm seeing are people in blind denial. ADV has an intent in renaming the characters - that we know - so accept it and waste time thinking some up for ourselves. One of the first responses go on that one shall be cursed for attempting to go along. What's wrong? It's going to happen. Let's have fun with it instead of bitterly muttering over what a bad idea it is and why one shouldn't accept it. If you truly don't believe that it should or will happen, then you'd probably spend the time going on pseudo-strike in revolt against the movement instead of doing nothing. But you're not doing anything. In almost every human disaster in history, people had the chance to change it, but they didn't. What are the chances that ADV will change their minds because 25,000 fans decide to march in protest of the situation? Pretty good. But the chances of 25,000 fans getting off their backsides at all are almost nil. I call this 'inevitablility' in the hope that direction will be taken towards a practical goal - that in the direction that ADV are heading. You can diss people for taking their sides or whatnot; but on the scale of fortune, it is obvious what will turn out. The people who shun the others for taking a side while they stay on the loosing side are people that I never thought existed. More importantly because the people on that side are, at the same time, doing absolutely nothing. They're sinking. They're standing. They're dragging others with them. I don't see them making a improvised raft. They stand on a boat, sinking, and intend to die peacefully in the muddy water or do not believe they will die. They curse the others who decide to fight it out on the crocodile-infested island. Both sides are equal - one is guaranteed to die but peacefully, the other may either live on heroically or die savagely. The side I took was one with hope.

I created this thread in the hope that others could just waste the time with me before our time comes. What we do here is irrelevant to what will happen in the end, but at least we're doing something, and doing something just might change something for the better; whatever it is, if there is. It's always better to have fun than to get what I get.
ココにいても、いいの?

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:13 am

:P you;re fun to mess with magi.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:40 am

No, the MAGI messes with you.
ココにいても、いいの?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:43 pm

Renaming characters = boring. :roll:

Upsetting MAGI = fun. :D

So, Hexon, instead of "your names suck, go to hell" we'll be much happier for you to go "your names suck, here are mine." If you believe the characters should not be renamed, even though they will be, inevitably, then here is not the place for you.

Well, I only posted to A.) make a throwaway reiteration of my stance in yet another thread (:roll: @ me), and B.) to comment on the fact that all the names have to change. That's what comes with transferral. Had Eva an old-timey iconic background character (like say, the old sensei had been named) who might be granted the power to hop dimentions or just remain in the picture for throwback value, they might be preserved. However (as MAGI bleeds in belting), since they ARE Westerniing, there's absolutely no reason to keep any of the old names. I already commented on Rei (with A.] if she's Japanese, then Shinji has to be as well, and B.) "Ray" just sounds preposterous and really loses all of the meaning endowed with its alternate spelling; I mean, "Ray" is just something you name a girl to be edgy). Maya might possibly keep Maya, but her last name would definitely change; Maya (Ibuki), Makoto, and Shigeru are a Combo Meal, and you can't sell a Big Mac with anything but fries and a big-ass Coke.

But anyway, asking me to post suggestions on new names is like ordering a Jew to make short work of bacon-wrapped pork chops.
Last edited by Hexon.Arq on Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_get some help

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”