Plagiarism, homage or nothing in particular?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Plagiarism, homage or nothing in particular?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:29 pm

This is a video some guy spliced together- one is from RahXephon and the other is the LnY throw in Episode 22. See the resemblance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YQpPIkVjFE
Does this necessary classify as some form of plagiarism or is it a homage to NGE?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Personally, I think it's not much more than an homage. I didn't really think they were similar enough to be called plagiarism, a robot shooting an enemy in the sky isn't exclusive to NGE, but there are some similarities between the two scenes. I'd call it an homage.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:23 pm

RahXephon was by and large a near-clone of NGE, no question

however, there were some homages to other series like Megazone23 and the whole Judeo/Christian/Kabalah "mystique" was replaced with one that was Mesoamerican/pre-Columbian (Mayans, Aztecs and such)

but the real question here is: isn't there a thread about this already (and was it locked, maybe)?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 pm

There's a thread about this is the off-topic section, and I think it's still open.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Plagiarism, homage or nothing in particular?

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:44 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Does this necessary classify as some form of plagiarism or is it a homage to NGE?

If you have to ask questions like that, it only shows that you know very little about anime, let alone about storytelling in general.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record, I know I have a track record of attacking threads which contain words like "plagiarism" and "rip-off", but that's only because the arguments presented in them tend to be horrendously stupid: If RahXephon "ripped off" Eva, then by logical extension Eva ripped off Ranma ½, G Gundam ripped off Voltes V and HOLY SHIT, WE HAVE NO ORIGINAL SHOWS LEFT! This is intertextuality. People who create anime love it. This is something you must realize, if you wish to continue watching anime.

EDIT:

P.S. Besides, whenever the topic of RahXephon comes up, you're supposed to mention Brave Raideen being its primary influence.

P.P.S. The Big Difference: Evangelion is about vaginas, whereas RahXephon is about phalli.

EDIT 2, P.P.P.S.

If we're gonna start posting Youtube videos, we can't do without The King of Homages. And oh lol, the precious bow is there, too!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:24 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:<snip>

P.P.S. The Big Difference: Evangelion is about vaginas, whereas RahXephon is about phalli.
you know what, I forgot to mention ^that^
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:The Big Difference: Evangelion is about vaginas, whereas RahXephon is about phalli.

You're making Shamshel cry. I can't believe you left the poor guy out.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”