Operation: Yashima Question

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Wevangeliwon wrote:Quote or article? I am curious. I know he said that he wanted to make it more epic, but apart from that.

March 2007 Newtype article translation wrote:Recapturing the look and feel:
Kazukya Tsurumaki, one of the directors for the new Evangelion films, has strong words for naysayers who dismiss the project as a mere remake. "Nothing could be further from the truth!", he says. "This isn't about putting the same old story with slightly better animation techniques or touched-up footage. When we use the word "rebuild", we mean an honest-to-goodness rebuild, from the ground up. It's a fact that there were things we wanted to do in the original TV series that just weren't feasible at the time, and one of our goals in doing this is to find a way to put some of the ideas back in. Operation Yashima is a perfect example. It's something we really wanted to do right this time, and getting the chance to do that was one of my main reasons for accepting the role of director. But rehashing past efforts isn't the whole story--not by a long shot. There are plenty of sides to this story which I want to bring out that are very different from what you saw in the TV version."

I was wrong, it was Tsurumaki who said it.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:37 pm

March 2007 Newtype article translation

That reminds me, I really ought to transcribe the rest of those Newtype USA articles.... (Wasn't that quote actually the transcript from Newtype USA I posted awhile back?)

@ Ornette: With what you said, that would imply time was longer, yes.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:00 pm

Honestly, I dunno, I was in a rush when I was searching for it in the forums, lol.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:08 pm

evaarchiver.livejournal.com

Translating the entire Webuild script. That part is up already.

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:41 am

Hehs. Yay, I'm mentioned again.

Yeah, I am evaarchiver. I can say that it is coming along nicely and should be up sometime. I think the only part that will give me some grief is when Misato show Shinji Lilith (yes, it's definitely Lilith).

Thanks for that cat. I knew Anno mentioned it, but I just thought it might be reffering to something else.

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 am

Ornette wrote:
Rave_Epic wrote:However, don't you find it weird that there are more scenes going on after Ramiel shoots Rei in the movie as opposed to the series, but the time is extended?

I'm not sure if I'm following you here. Wouldn't inserting more scenes between A and B imply that it lasts longer? (A=when Ramiel fires and Rei blocks, B=when Shinji returns fire for the second time, after the 20 seconds).

You are correct, but in the movie, Ramiel shoots, Rei blocks, the land gets torn apart, Shinji gets rocked around and looks up, Ayanami is shown blocking the blast and the next scene is Ayanami taking more damage.

Followed by "Hyaku" and then it shows the shield breaking up. THEN Misato asks how much time and he says 20 seconds.

SO, my point to this is there is a bit more time being elapsed here before Hyuuga says a word about the time left on that shield. However, in the tv series it goes like this.

Ramiel shoots, Shinji freaks for half a second, the blast hits something, Misato screams "Shinji-kun," flash to Ritusko and then to the commanders, then to Shinji and he notices Ayanami taking the blast.

Camera slides from Shogoki over to Zerogoki and then shows the shield slowly melting. Ritsuko says "not much time," or some such, and Misato says "How much longer?" then Hyuuga responds with "10 seconds."

So, the 10 seconds sounds more feasible in the series as opposed to the 20 seconds. The scenes in Rebuild are considerably longer, yet, by the time Hyuuga actually gives us the time left, the Shield is nearly gone and Shinji pulls the shot off. Though, given the situation, 10 seconds would've made it more intense, more..I dunno, "Omg shoot the damn beam!" feeling.

I'm by no means saying that the scene is ruined because of this. I was really just curious about the translation, but I got to thinking about it, heh.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:54 pm

I thought that the 20 seconds referred to how long it would take for the shot, not how long the shield would last. Does the script clarify this?

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Ornette wrote:I thought that the 20 seconds referred to how long it would take for the shot, not how long the shield would last. Does the script clarify this?

*Headdesk* I think you're right here..

In the series, Ritsuko tells Maya that the shield can last up to 17 seconds.

I think I may have been going at this scene the wrong way. The 20 seconds does indeed refer to how long it would take for the shot and with that, I guess my point would still stand.

The 10 seconds feels more intense than 20.

tian2992
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tian2992 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:03 am

If you are talking about Unrealistic, the Positron Beam wouldn't work on earth atmosphere, beacause the positrons would crash with the air atoms, releasing its energy few atoms away from the end of the cannon...

i think i read something about it somewhere, but i can't remember :oops: :roll:

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:44 pm

That applies to all ballistic lasers, really. The problem is what's referred to as "blooming". Any sci-fi story that involves something of that sort assumes that the blooming problem (bizarre, unintentional double entendre? O_o) has been negated. Wikipedia's article on the matter presents some possible solutions.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”