Favorite anime characters outside of Eva.

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

No. 44
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby No. 44 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:40 pm

dose Sephiroth count?
the threat must be physically annihilated @#$%!

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 pm

No, I remember!! I really loved Bear from .hack//SIGN when I first watched it! :) He was so cool.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Saya from Blood+

Testuo from Akria.
I won.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:05 am

I haven't posted in this thread because I knew I would forget a ton of favorites, so I'll just post one:

Dilandau from Escaflowne

One of the best, creepiest villains ever. Minami Takayama deserves kudos here for really making him so menacing. What a demented performance... Of course, this makes the revelation behind him all the more disturbing.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:46 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Dilandau from Escaflowne

Minami Takayama deserves kudos here for really making him so menacing. What a demented performance... Of course, this makes the revelation behind him all the more disturbing.

Villains like Dilandau are a lost art nowadays. We need more apeshit insane people, and less of the generic evil genius kind (see: Naraku). Their waaay more entertaining.

And I should really re-watch Escaflowne one of these days; good show. Kinda reminds me of Inuyahsa (but well written and it actually has an ending).
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:56 am

Well written, acted, directed, paced, edited, etc. It's a superb piece of entertainment that's not devoid of thought and craft.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:37 pm

TriLink12 wrote:We need more apeshit insane people, and less of the generic evil genius kind (see: Naraku).

I thought Dilandau was awesome, because the actress pulled off the character so well. However, the majority of the time I can't stand these completely insane villains. They seem nothing more than an excuse to have no character development, and allow for horrendously bad overacting.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 pm

@ Trilink

UHHH Tesutso king of batshit crazy people...duh!!!!
I won.

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:07 pm

Themaninblack wrote:Tesutso king of batshit crazy people...duh!!!!

Neither Google nor myself recognize this "Tesutso" you speak of.

Therefore, he does not exist.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Sorry Tetsuo Shima
I won.

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:35 pm

Alucard from Hellsing

Dahki(Dahji in spanish dub) from Soul Hunter

Luleouch from Code Geass
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:39 pm

TriLink12 wrote:
Themaninblack wrote:Tesutso king of batshit crazy people...duh!!!!

Neither Google nor myself recognize this "Tesutso" you speak of.

Therefore, he does not exist.

I think he means Tetsuo from Akira AKA: MINDFUCK ANIME.
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 pm

Akira has the best dialogue in any movie, ever:

Kaneda: Tetsuo!

Tetsuo: Kaneda!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:05 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I thought Dilandau was awesome, because the actress pulled off the character so well. However, the majority of the time I can't stand these completely insane villains. They seem nothing more than an excuse to have no character development, and allow for horrendously bad overacting.
My point exactly. It's very hard to pull off that kind of character. See King Hammy-do from N&T,H&T.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:41 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:That's not anime, it's an American show, animated in Korea and set to the english language. The animation techniques have simularities, but overall, I'd say what they've been using in Avatar is of a higher quality, as much of how western animation tends to be anyway. 8)
You elitist you!! :evil:

Nothing 'elitist" about it, truth is Anime is usually generic and simplified, when western animation tends to be more detailed (though there are exceptions, e.g. South Park and Akira).

If Avatar decided to do the same, chances are it wouldn't of taken so long to reach it's third season, with it's episodes still in the 40's, where an anime could be twice as far at the very least.

By the way, I actually prefer Avatar over similar shows like Naruto, as though it has "child show" limitations (SPOILER:"blood bending" but no blood is actually shown), it does try to immerse the powers into the world, unlike in Naruto where the ninja abilities seem out of place in what is otherwise a world much like ours.)

slothen wrote:avatar characters definitely count as anime characters.

Eh, no it doesn't, because it's not anime, the animation style is similar, but the technique is completely different, animation 'flows' far more consistently and isn't concerned with just a select few 'money shots'. 8)
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:36 am

If Avatar decided to do the same, chances are it wouldn't of taken so long to reach it's third season, with it's episodes still in the 40's, where an anime could be twice as far at the very least.

I don't understand what you mean here at all. Some anime take many episodes to develop simple plot developments, other anime move through the story much more quickly.

Eh, no it doesn't, because it's not anime, the animation style is similar, but the technique is completely different, animation 'flows' far more consistently and isn't concerned with just a select few 'money shots'.

again, this leaves me completely bewildered.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:03 am

slothen wrote:again, this leaves me completely bewildered.

Well here then, you should be able to understand this:

Animé is a designation for Japanese animation, Avatar is AMERICAN animation, see the difference now? 8)
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:09 am

you're retarded. Topic, bitches.

I wish I had that picture of Sokka with his arms out with the "Water Tribe!" caption.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:24 am

BrikHaus wrote:Akira has the best dialogue in any movie, ever:

Kaneda: Tetsuo!

Tetsuo: Kaneda!
You just don't get it Brik. There's a lot of subtext and super deep meaning behind those two shouting each other's name constantly. I can't believe you don't see that. :roll:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:44 am

slothen wrote:you're retarded. Topic, bitches.

I wish I had that picture of Sokka with his arms out with the "Water Tribe!" caption.

Slothen, I don't care what you think of me, that is the truth, Avatar is an AMERICAN show, it was animated in Korea by Korean and American animators, and was originally dubbed in English.

Also, as to 'flowing animation' I refer to how Avatar put more detail in the movement and texture of things in the show, commonly in Anime you'll find only the barest movement, and even that is over simplified, you'll also sometimes view a scene from afar with everyone and everything in it standing still, yet they will still be talking (and we don't even see their mouths move).

This shouldn't be hard for you to understand, if you've seen Akira, then you should know what I'am referring to here. The comparison isn't quite that extreme, but Avatar most definatly has more effort put into making it then your average anime, as Akira did.

One more thing, a "money shot" is the scene with the most detail and commonly the most drama in an anime, the one which you really bear focus upon, the selling moment of a film/episode. 8)

Return to “Anime and Manga”