Recording a Commentary for NGE

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:23 pm

I haven't been able to get the IRC to work since the first time. It won't let me connect for some reason.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:39 pm

slothen wrote:you mean the IRC channel?

Yes.

Some of the comments were based on technical things, like audio quality. Other things said were our commentary on your commentary. ;) For example, we didn't think that Misato's cleavage was really a Big Irony Bomb, even though Shiro seemed to think so. But a lot of stuff was said. Unfortunately, I can't remember it all.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:58 pm

We're working on audio quality. Too bad you can't remember the "commentary on the commentary'. We're definitely looking for feedback in that area. Was it generally positive though, and did people seem to like the idea?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:31 pm

*Learn Japanese in one easy session! Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood pain in my arse, Brikhaus!*:

BrikHaus wrote:The nice thing about Japanese is that it's pretty easy to pronounce. Have you ever taken Spanish? The sounds are nearly identical!

Here's big tip. In english we tend to stress the middle syllable of any word. Right? Just try it. Okay. In Japanese, however, they tend to stress the first syllable of a word. So, stressing the first syllable (and not any subsequent syllables) will go a long way to helping you sound like a pro.

Okay, so here's the big stuff I can think of:

Eva = eh-vah ------------ sometimes pronounced = ay-vah -- either is right
Evangelion = eh(ay)-vah-n-geh-lee-ohn
Shito = shhtoh
tenshi = teh-n-shee
kimochi warui = kee-mo-chee wah-ru-ee
Hideaki = hee-deh-ah-kee
Anno = ah-n-noh
Misato = mee-sah-toh
Ritsuko = ree-zu-ko
Rei = ray
Asuka = ah-ss-ka
Gendo = geh-n-doh
Fuyutsuki = foo-yoo-zu-kee -- say it fast
Kaji = kah-jee

Kotono Mitsuishi = koh-toh-no mee-zu-ee-shee
Megumi Hayashibara = meh-goo-mee hah-yah-shee-bah-rah
Megumi Ogata = meh-goo-mee oh-gah-tah
Yuko Miyamura = yoo-koh mee-yah-moo-rah
Akira Ishida = ah-kee-rah ee-shee-dah

Please keep in mind, that you have to say these words rather quickly. If you sound out each syllable it will sound bad. Just stress the first syllable, and then say the rest with an even and quick tone. If you know Spanish, use the same vowel sounds.

If you think of any other words, please let me know.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Well, on Ritsuko, it is more of a "tsu" than a "zu"
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 pm

The two sound very similar when said fast... The only one that might give me fits is Hideaki, so I might just stick with Ah-no which I think I can handle.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:58 pm

slothen wrote:Well, on Ritsuko, it is more of a "tsu" than a "zu"

True, but try explaining that in text. :o
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:02 am

With the "tsu's," they're SAID tsu, but romanized "zu" or "tsu." I don't want to get into how it gets like that, but I guess I will.

The kana for "su" and "tsu" both get romanized as "zu" when tenten are used to change it to another sound under Revised Hepburn, the most used romanization system. But under other systems, things change, and they look different.

A native speaker of Moonspeak will ALWAYS pronounce the character ツ、as in Akagi リツコ as "tsu." Based on different systems, it sometimes will be romanized as zu or tu.

(OK, I'm done with my moonspeak lesson. I'm in the process of learning it, so forgive me if I constantly lecture about it..:P)

And with the Big Irony Bomb thing, it HINTS at the BIB, not IS the BIB. Cause, Misato uses her boobs to lure Shinji, and later tells Ritsuko that she won't be putting the moves on a kid. But, she does in ep23.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:45 am

Shiro wrote:With the "tsu's," they're SAID tsu, but romanized "zu" or "tsu." I don't want to get into how it gets like that, but I guess I will.

"Tsu" is not a common sound in English, so "zu" probably works best for people who have little to no Japanese experience. And that was the point of my post.
Awesomely Shitty

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 am

I'm watching it right now. Not bad, I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake about the whole commentary biz. Wait on, and I'll let you know if I'm gonna sign up as well. (Although I stay in India, which is GMT +5:30, and since there's quite a few distractions...yeah. I'll think about it and let you know if I'm in it)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Random Comments:

1.) Ritsuko's swimsuit doesn't change from a two-piece to a one-piece. We only see her from the back initially. Since one-piece swimsuits have an open back, it looks like it could be a two-piece, but in reality it isn't.

2.) Don't call Japanese Moonspeak. It's a forum in-joke, and the casual listener / Eva beginner won't have any idea what you're talking about.

3.) Was Misato's seductive picture really foreshadowing her coming on to Shinji at the end of the series? If she always finds comfort in men, are her advances toward Shinji a Big Irony Bomb? I would say, "no" to both of those. But that's just my stance on it.

I know there was more stuff, just can't remember it...
Awesomely Shitty

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:38 pm

specific comments related to the ep01 commentary should go in that thread.

We appreciate the feedback.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Well, I dunno. I thought it was ironic, and the phone conversation in episode 2 was DEFINITELY ironic, so I said so. That could be just me.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:01 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Random Comments:

1.) Ritsuko's swimsuit doesn't change from a two-piece to a one-piece. We only see her from the back initially. Since one-piece swimsuits have an open back, it looks like it could be a two-piece, but in reality it isn't.

2.) Don't call Japanese Moonspeak. It's a forum in-joke, and the casual listener / Eva beginner won't have any idea what you're talking about.

3.) Was Misato's seductive picture really foreshadowing her coming on to Shinji at the end of the series? If she always finds comfort in men, are her advances toward Shinji a Big Irony Bomb? I would say, "no" to both of those. But that's just my stance on it.

I know there was more stuff, just can't remember it...
1. As I was going over the commentary yesterday I thought that myself - hontou. I remember reading that it was a continuity error on here before, but then I thought, "well, why couldn't have just been a backless swimsuit?" :?

2. We're going to define some forum in-terms/jokes during the credits when we do the commentary. I like the term moonspeak. Fangeek anything isn't complete without in-jokes.

3. I don't think it's a BiB either, but just a developing of Misato's character before she even shows up. I don't think she glanced at Shinji's picture and immediately thought she wanted to jump him eventually.

Please post in the ep. 1 commentary when you remember more. Thanks for the feedback.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Here we go again - I don't know if it's my comp or something else but I can't connect with Ventrilo. Someone let me know what's going on. Kthxbye

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:07 pm

I can't connect either. It's cause Slothen doesn't have server up.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:12 pm

Shiro wrote:I can't connect either. It's cause Slothen doesn't have server up.

Bingo...
I won.

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:25 pm

I'd love to listen in in the future...during record if possible...

Return to “Fan Works”