Misato and Shinji (Again)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:i would normaly never look to fanfiction about such things, but i still think "A past to forget" is still a great perspective for this.

Actually, I think I was considering posting a link to that at some earlier point in this thread. It really is a beautiful story though, portraying everyone with all their flaws and stuff.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:48 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:
Kaminoyouni wrote:i would normaly never look to fanfiction about such things, but i still think "A past to forget" is still a great perspective for this.

Actually, I think I was considering posting a link to that at some earlier point in this thread. It really is a beautiful story though, portraying everyone with all their flaws and stuff.
there's a link to it in the recomended reading section, by yours truly of course.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:38 pm

I'm bumping because I really want to hear ObsessiveMathsFreak's theroy....because its bold as hell
I won.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Considering someones requested it, I'll try to get around to it this weekend. Perhaps the task will inspire me to present things more succinctly.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:20 pm

I haven't posted in this thread yet:

Short version, I did think that Misato had sexual designs on Shinji. That kiss being mere motivation doesn't work when put with the other evidence (even so that such a form of "motivation" would have occurred to Misato even once would be suspect): she probably got something out of it.

Long version is that I think Misato was attracted to Shinji and acted on it because Shinji was young and timid and "non-threatening": he wouldn't desert Misato or hold opinions against her, like she thinks the adult men in her life did.

She wanted to be a mother to him, too: it's not so strange, at least for someone like Misato, to have feelings with both a maternal and sexual dimension. It just proves that she's not very balanced, emotionally. I think she sees the contradiction, but can't work her way around it. At the very least, she has the problem of using sex as a communication tool only, etc., but her attraction to Shinji wasn't just that alone.

My unsolicited opinion is to find it disgusting: I know what the cultural script says about this and probably most think the most squeamish thing about it is Misato showing bad taste, but it violates her role as guardian and mother-figure, which might have partially been the point.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Incisivis wrote:it's not so strange, at least for someone like Misato, to have feelings with both a maternal and sexual dimension. It just proves that she's not very balanced, emotionally. I think she sees the contradiction, but can't work her way around it.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, my dear. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:14 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak never comes through!!!!

@ SSD so would you describe Mistao's feelings as a messed up sort of love? I seem to see it as though the only reason she ever saw Shinji in a sexual light whatsoever was because of her somewhat maternal feelings for him. Despite that those sexual feelings where incidental and though they where aided by her personalty and the shit that was going down at this point in the series, where still separate for her real feelings for Shinji.

That said is it scary that I'm M/S shipper?

:oops:
I won.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Themaninblack wrote:That said is it scary that I'm M/S shipper?

A little.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:34 pm

^ for me its mostly in good humor... I.E I like the paring because its just plain wrong and it appeases the b/tard in me. Though Misato being 'hawt' is also a factor. That and Kaji being the poorest written character in the show (Whats the male version of a Mary Sue?)

As I've said repeatably, the paring I like best is K/S...despite being a straight man.
Last edited by Themaninblack on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I won.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Themaninblack wrote:@ SSD so would you describe Mistao's feelings as a messed up sort of love?

Yup. Although the same can be said about all the characters:

Misato: Tried to be a Mother-figure to Shinji, but developed some feelings for him (in terms of what type of feelings, Misato probably doesn't even know exactly). Also, she turned to Shinji for comfort=sex (in her view) after Kaji died.

Asuka: Lusts after Kaji and wants to prove she's an adult by having sex.

Ritsuko: Has the hots for Gendou even though he's just using her for sex/her intelligence. Did the same to her Mother.

Maya: Has internalized homophobia.

Gendou: Obsessed with Yui to the point of screwing all of humanity (though at least not as bad as what SEELE planned???) just to be with her again.

Fuytsuki: Has an Unrequited Love with his favorite student, who was married to his Boss.

Shinji: Simply a fuck-up. 'Nuff said. :lol:

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

the paring I like best is K/S...despite being a straight man.

There's nothing wrong with liking a certain pairing regardless of whether you're straight, gay or bi. ;)

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Ritsuko: Has the hots for Gendou even though he's just using her for her intelligence. Did the same to her Mother.
fixed
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:18 pm

I thought you liked Ritsuko/Shinji??

Why would Gendou have sex with her anyway if it wasn't just to get some Nookie on the side?

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I thought you liked Ritsuko/Shinji??

Why would Gendou have sex with her anyway if it wasn't just to get some Nookie on the side?
true i do like Ritsu/Shinji, but i seriouly doubt that if Gendou was as faithful to Yui as i thought he was, he wasn't really intrested in sexual relations with Ritsu or Naoko. they were the ones who wanted the sex.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Why would Gendou have sex with her anyway if it wasn't just to get some Nookie on the side?

By having sex with her, he might be able to convince Ritsuko that he had real feelings of love for her. That way, manipulating her would be far easier.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Oh yeah. ^_^; lol Brain-fart!

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Themaninblack wrote:@ SSD so would you describe Mistao's feelings as a messed up sort of love?

Yup. Although the same can be said about all the characters:

Misato: Tried to be a Mother-figure to Shinji, but developed some feelings for him (in terms of what type of feelings, Misato probably doesn't even know exactly). Also, she turned to Shinji for comfort=sex (in her view) after Kaji died.

Ritsuko: Has the hots for Gendou even though he's just using her for sex/her intelligence. Did the same to her Mother.

You forgot to add there may be symbolic incest in Ritsuko's sexual attraction to Gendou

As for Misato, you summed it up quite well becuase we never really will know what exactly that affinty was though we can guess it probally wasn't related to the mother aspect of her and Shinji relationship...at least I hope not.
I won.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:11 pm

Themaninblack"][quote="Sailor Star Dust wrote:

Ritsuko: Has the hots for Gendou even though he's just using her for her intelligence. Did the same to her Mother.
fixed again.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

No. 44
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby No. 44 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:13 pm

she is pretty fucked up
the threat must be physically annihilated @#$%!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:22 pm

No. 44 wrote:everybody and thing on eva is pretty fucked up
FIXED :P
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

What indicates that Misato offered Shinji sex in ep23?

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:40 am

The first, second, and thirtieth time I saw that episode and that scene, I simply didn't get that vibe. The idea just doesn't fit with the scene, particularly because after that, Misato calls Pen-Pen over to herself, then realizes she's the one who's lonely. In other words, she doesn't realize what her own intention is until after Pen-Pen rebuffs her, which implies she came to Pen-Pen with the same intention as she came to Shinji, and she certainly wasn't offering sex to Pen-Pen. The theme of that scene doesn't even touch upon sex, instead emphasizing the more generic "human contact".

(This reminds me of when people wondered if she shot Kaji -- I wonder if Misato is the most over-examined character in the series? She is certainly the most complex.)

Furthermore, if she was offering sex at this point, doesn't that rob the EoE kiss scene of its power? Because then it'd mean she'd already made an attempt to get through to him with sex before that got rebuffed.

Obviously I have no proof that she wasn't. But I'd certainly argue that it's far from completely clear. Anyone care to convince me otherwise?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”