What da Hell is up with Unit-01's Horn thing?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

digital88
Embryo

What da Hell is up with Unit-01's Horn thing?

•      
  •      

Postby digital88 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:14 am

It just came to me recently while watching the Platinum edition. (Sorri guys dis is my first post so try to go easy on me :D )
Well..as everyone knoes, Unit 01 has a Horn pointing on top of its head..now the question is, was it designed for a purpose or juz for the sake of making Unit 01 cooler looking?

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:09 am

This is a question I've been meaning to ask. The actual Evangelion underneath all the armor doesn't have a horn, and it doesn't seem to have any practical use - so why's it there?
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:46 am

According to Matt Greenfield, it represents a penis.

Really though, I bet it's just aesthetic.

digital88
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby digital88 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:18 am

Well..true about its true natural form being completely horn free..but i doubt its a penis..maybe its useful for combat?

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:29 am

Shiro wrote:According to Matt Greenfield, it represents a penis.

I don't think he ever went that far ;p

Yep, it seems like it's purely aesthetic. It seems to stab Zeruel in the eye in that episode ... which would render it useful in a way, except Zeruel doesn't have any eyes.

digital88
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby digital88 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:38 am

Agreed abt that part..but still makes u wonder kinda how its useful or unuseful in combat situations..haha D

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:40 am

I think Its cool
but I dont know about combat
maybe she could ram it into an angel
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 am

CitizenGeek wrote:

I don't think he ever went that far ;p

HAHAHA!

/r/ that image with him and the other "Expert" in EVA.

"What dos phalic means?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: What da Hell is up with Unit-01's Horn thing?

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 pm

digital88 wrote:..as everyone knoes, Unit 01 has a Horn pointing on top of its head..now the question is, was it designed for a purpose or juz for the sake of making Unit 01 cooler looking?

I dunno :?

And here's another one for you; what are those things protruding from the shoulders of both the Eva's and Adam?

Their obviously a part of Adam's physical body, but when Sho goes berserk and loses his armor against Zeruel, the shoulder things are strangely absent (at least, I don't see them).

Which leaves me to ponder; What the hell are those things? Unlike the horn, which seems to at least serve some purpose, these thingamabobers seem to be completely useless.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:21 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Which leaves me to ponder; What the hell are those things? Unlike the horn, which seems to at least serve some purpose, these thingamabobers seem to be completely useless.
Aren't they for peripherals? Extra ammunition, prog knives, spikes, Gatorade, stuff like that?

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:23 pm

So far they've been used to hold knives, and a spike launcher (which seems a bit gimmicky). They also break off when Eva 01's wings form. Could be a restraint, probably just their too look sweet.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Really though, I bet it's just aesthetic.

:P O'Reilly
I won.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:28 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Which leaves me to ponder; What the hell are those things? Unlike the horn, which seems to at least serve some purpose, these thingamabobers seem to be completely useless.

ADV's Platinum booklet (which, okay, isn't exactly the most reliable of sources for Eva info to put it mildly) says that they are for protection of the head. Eva00 doesn't originally have them, but when it's repaired it does.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:31 pm

fadingreminder wrote:
Aren't they for peripherals? Extra ammunition, prog knives, spikes, Gatorade, stuff like that?

You're right. If you watch Asuka's battle with the Eva series closely, you can see her pull a knife out of it, which I've never noticed before. For some reason I thought the knife was coming from a hidden compartment in the back about where the umbilical cable goes.

But still, I find it weird that those things are an actual part of Adam, but in the Eva's (Adam's Clones), their missing. Not that Eva's look just like Adam in every other aspect mind you, but that's a pretty big omission if you ask me.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:34 pm

TriLink12 wrote:
fadingreminder wrote:

You're right. If you watch Asuka's battle with the Eva series closely, you can see her pull a knife out of it, which I've never noticed before. For some reason I thought the knife was coming from a hidden compartment in the back about where the umbilical cable goes.

But still, I find it weird that those things are an actual part of Adam, but in the Eva's (Adam's Clones), their missing. Not that Eva's look just like Adam in every other aspect mind you, but that's a pretty big omission if you ask me.

Speaking of where eva's store their onboard weapons...where do the harpies store their Lances at? Are they dropped seperatly or squirreled away magically like their wings?
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:38 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:Speaking of where eva's store their onboard weapons...where do the harpies store their Lances at? Are they dropped seperatly or squirreled away magically like their wings?

My guess is seperately. The Lance seems like an awfully large weapon for the Harpies to be hauling around in some secret compartment.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:38 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:The actual Evangelion underneath all the armor doesn't have a horn, and it doesn't seem to have any practical use - so why's it there?

It's there for coolness. And it is coolness.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:47 pm

Honestly, I always thought the horn was there like a representation of an oni or demon. That's just my two cents anyway.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:50 pm

I've heard that it was a casing for an antenna. Which seems rather silly to me, but it's the first explanation i can remember hearing.
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:00 pm

who is it around this forum that has a sig containing a post someone commenting about Yui-sama's horn?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”