Shinji is gay?

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Takumi wrote:You're not the only one. It disturbs me on an inner level.

I can't recall offhand if it actually disturbs me or not. (I'd need to watch EoE again in the right frame of mind. Image ) I was more referring to the fact that the sandbox (or whatever) sequence is one that my brain just hasn't been able to make heads or tails of. "Crap, I know there's something big that I'm missing here, but WTF is it?!?"

I actually find the entire P3II sequence to be incredibly cruel, but that's beside the point.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 02:58 GMT

BigBet [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BigBet [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:45 pm

As far as I have read... you guys haven't analysed the P3II scenario yet.. at least not as much as the EVA-01 - GNR scenes portion of Third Impact.
I'm looking forward to a Reichu-style essay-type article on the whole deal, or a Shin-Seiki study in P3II visual motifs.... Those are really fun Image

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 03:37 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:45 pm

I'd be happy just with an overview of the bajillion flashing images.
(I know, I could look at them myself with my DVD player, but what's the fun in that?)

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 03:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

BigBet wrote:As far as I have read... you guys haven't analysed the P3II scenario yet.. at least not as much as the EVA-01 - GNR scenes portion of Third Impact.

And those need to be reanalyzed like ku-ray-zee!

I'm looking forward to a Reichu-style essay-type article on the whole deal, or a Shin-Seiki study in P3II visual motifs.... Those are really fun Image

Well, I have heard -- now, don't quote me on this Image -- that Shin-seiki has had something massive on P3II padlocked inside his cranium for... like... :starts counting off the years on her fingers: Oh, man, I can't even remember anymore. Longer than the Commentary has been in Limbo Land.

For every week that goes by and Shin-seiki still hasn't done anything new, Kaworu kills a kitten. Wait... that one's already been taken...

LuigiHann wrote:I'd be happy just with an overview of the bajillion flashing images.

Aren't you thinking of the actual Instrumentality stuff? (The massive montage that starts right after the Shinjiquarium shot.)

(I know, I could look at them myself with my DVD player, but what's the fun in that?)

If you have the Mangle release, it's not as much fun as it could be. The actual Renewal DVD is like ... "AHHH! <3" :corgasms:

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 04:22 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Reichu wrote:P'shaw! He favors those particular boobs because he favors their owner. Image

I merely observe that he seems very uncomfortable when the owner is showing awareness and inviting interest (10 poolside, 26' train-car), but happy* when she is in an oblivious state (9, 25') or has been otherwise objectified (26' "what do you wish for?").

* for Shinji-like values of "happy"

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 05:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:I merely observe that he seems very uncomfortable when the owner is showing awareness and inviting interest (10 poolside, 26' train-car), but happy* when she is in an oblivious state (9, 25') or has been otherwise objectified (26' "what do you wish for?").

* for Shinji-like values of "happy"

"Shinji-like values of 'happy'"? What's that supposed ta mean?

#09 is... well, I'm not too sure about that one. #25' is about as far from "happy" as you can get. And as for the last one, Shinji was in a state of bliss from the prior events anyway, and said "objectification" was just the instrument of Tangification. (Them damn Seeds, conspiring behind the scenes...)

My point basically was: Yeah, Shinji likes boobs, but they don't represent the "complete picture", by a long shot.

Speaking of "complete picture", are they just keeping the face off-screen to be annoying again? "Hey, look, it's a bust. We bet you can't guess whose!"

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 05:38 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Reichu wrote:"Shinji-like values of 'happy'"? What's that supposed ta mean?

It means you have to recalibrate for his normal state being somewhere around miserable-to-depressed. In 25' the sight provides him with a temporary refuge from his desolation, for all that Triste est omne animal post coitum kicks in straight after (unsurprisingly).

Reichu wrote:Speaking of "complete picture", are they just keeping the face off-screen to be annoying again?

I think they're just saving it for later.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 05:54 GMT

Takumi [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Takumi [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I think they're just saving it for later.

ACK, MY HEART!

*clutches chest*

*collapses from fatal cardiac arrest*

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 06:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:It means you have to recalibrate for his normal state being somewhere around miserable-to-depressed.

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. He's in neutral- and even positive-spectrum states for a much greater percentage of the time than you seem to be giving him credit...

In 25' the sight provides him with a temporary refuge from his desolation

Actually, the "refuge" came from someone very huge, very pale, and very pretty:

And Shinji goes into Happy Land from some strange combination of factors... (Yep, he's glad to see Kaworu-kun again. But I'm willing to bet that what's happening between Adam/Kaworu, Eva/Yui, and the Spear has something to do with it, too. Image )

Asuka's bust was the last thing to appear on-screen before Shinji's blissed-out face rippled away into Tang Land. Then water droplet, and P3II begins. This vision Rei provides of what Shinji "wishes for" seems to prognosticate what happens to people later, even though the presentation is somewhat... metaphysical.

(Yeah, I should probably include images, but I don't feel like processing them right now.)

for all that Triste est omne animal post coitum kicks in straight after (unsurprisingly).

While I'm not sure what that means, the "sandbox" scene follows immediately after Shinji goes splat. Asuka's beautiful visage marks the start of the "mind-meld" segment that follows.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 06:23 GMT

SSJ2Cloud [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSJ2Cloud [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

yea im pretty sure shinju isnt gay but hes just a real good freind with kaworu because he was really the only person that understood him and stuff. it may be possible hes bi but prob not gay. i mean if u watch the end of evangelion Shinji jerks off to Asuka so i dont think hes gay bi maybe but not gay

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 20:54 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, I have heard -- now, don't quote me on this Image -- that Shin-seiki has had something massive on P3II padlocked inside his cranium for... like... :starts counting off the years on her fingers: Oh, man, I can't even remember anymore. Longer than the Commentary has been in Limbo Land.
A lot of the points I had planned to cover in that 'Magnum Opus' thread have come out over time in other threads, e.g. relating the bit where Asuka kicks Shinji to "You won't even hold me!" in #22' (see the 'Shinji and Asuka' thread), and the Kitchen/Strangle scene to "Kaji-san isn't here anymore!" in #24' and DEATH. Amazingly enough, I still have early drafts of my analysis of the Sandbox scene etc written three years ago saved somewhere or other. The important thing tho, is that I've managed to popularize the two key notions to understanding the P3II: #1, that NPC scenes tend to correlate with specific corresponding scenes in EoE, and #2, that Asuka, Misato, and Rei, are every bit as much "there" in P3II as Shinji is, and are active actors (especially Asuka) in what goes down then. (Believe me, that last point was highly controversial at one time, and still is on other forums) Once you've figured those two points out, the rest just follows naturally...

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 13:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:Amazingly enough, I still have early drafts of my analysis of the Sandbox scene etc written three years ago saved somewhere or other.

What are you waiting for, lad?

The important thing tho, is that I've managed to popularize the two key notions to understanding the P3II: #1, that NPC scenes tend to correlate with specific corresponding scenes in EoE,

This is true, but it's easy to become guilty as sin of overfocusing on them NPCs and forgetting about the other correlations... E.g., I was looking at #20 the other day, and I thought to myself, "Hmm, a lot of this smells awfully familiar..."

Once you've figured those two points out, the rest just follows naturally...

Meaning there is nothing about this sequence that doesn't perplex you? Image The two basic premises you established take away a lot of the mystery, but a lot still remains, at least for me... Guess I already bawled about that over here.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 14:16 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:While I'm not sure what that means

Triste est omne animal post coitum = "every creature is sad after sex". The original source then goes on to except women and roosters from the general case.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 14:49 GMT

DatFatPat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DatFatPat [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Everyone knows that Shinji is sexually attracted to his hand, the real question is now is it his right or left that he loves the most?

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 15:58 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

DatFatPat wrote:the real question is now is it his right or left that he loves the most?

The *ahem* evidence is there for us to see in the notorious hospital scene.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 18:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

And the only feller in the show for whom there is unambiguous evidence of a sinister preference is (AFAIK) the hunk in my avatar. Er, I mean, Dr. Katsuragi. He yanks the lever with his lefty despite only having three functional fingers, and apparently puts the pendant on Misato with his lefty as well (C-010: he's supporting himself with his right arm as he does this).

</random>

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 18:31 GMT

Gboz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gboz [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

The more I watch episode 24, the more and more I wonder if maybe there was some sort of sexual relationship that night between Kaoru and Shinji, basically because of the way that Shinji continunally refers to how he loves Kaoru. Now on the surface it seems so innocent, but when you see how Shinji has never displayed this amount of affection for ANYONE else in the show, it causes me to wonder.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 19:13 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Reichu wrote:Aw, why for you say "lame"?

Sex, please.

-Nya

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 19:19 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Kaworu tells Shinji "I love you."
Shinji has never experienced this before.
Shinji labels this experience as love.

That's an oversimplification of the relationship, but I'm guessing that's what promps Shinji to say he loved Kaworu. That doesn't stop me from referring to Kaworu as "the gay one" on a regular basis, though Image

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2006, 08:38 GMT

DatFatPat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DatFatPat [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:47 pm

It would be an even interesting show if Shinji and Misato started "doing" it.

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2006, 00:32 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”