Shinji is gay?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

DatFatPat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DatFatPat [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Emosexual....that is a new word to me.

Ewwww at Shinji. He has some serious issues.

I bet he is the kind of kid who is weak at first, but then snaps and gets involved in aschool shotting or something.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 17:05 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Well, he does effectively kill everyone in the world...

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 17:13 GMT

Gboz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gboz [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

While personally, I don't think Kaworu could have been gay being an angel and all, I think you have really come across something. Kaoru certainly touched Shinji's hand the same way as Misato did yert Shinji did not at all turn away. He simply blushed. Also, in EoE, he freaks out when he sees the big huge Rei combined with Lillith, but the minute he heard Kaoru's voice all that fear was gone. But of course, this could just be genuine friendly love.

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2006, 05:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Gboz wrote:While personally, I don't think Kaworu could have been gay being an angel and all, I think you have really come across something. Kaoru certainly touched Shinji's hand the same way as Misato did yert Shinji did not at all turn away. He simply blushed. Also, in EoE, he freaks out when he sees the big huge Rei combined with Lillith, but the minute he heard Kaoru's voice all that fear was gone. But of course, this could just be genuine friendly love.

Or it could be something else.

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2006, 10:41 GMT

Ackerz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ackerz [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

I don't know if people have overlooked the part or it is just common knowledge but Shinji does have a thing for Rei as shown in episode 5.

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2006, 23:41 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

The more you post this sort of thing, the more it sounds like you're aiming to make them gay, Reich.

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2006, 23:59 GMT

Gboz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gboz [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Ackerz wrote:I don't know if people have overlooked the part or it is just common knowledge but Shinji does have a thing for Rei as shown in episode 5.

I don't see it.

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2006, 01:57 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Shinji seems to find Rei fascinating, but he doesn't appear to be attracted to her the way he is to Asuka.

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2006, 02:41 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

LuigiHann wrote:Shinji seems to find Rei fascinating, but he doesn't appear to be attracted to her the way he is to Asuka.

Well, to be fair, we never see him encounter Rei when she's asleep or sedated. For any more than implied S/R, you have to go to the manga.

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2006, 06:37 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

...which seems to want to throw S/A out the window and have S/R. Why exactly Sadamoto chose that route is beyond me, but he better have harpies.

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2006, 12:00 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Treize X wrote:The more you post this sort of thing, the more it sounds like you're aiming to make them gay, Reich.

Not sure how you're reaching that conclusion, considering in my very first post I denounce the "gay" hypothesis and emphasize Kaworu's status as an inherently maternal figure. Image

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2006, 12:12 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Not sure how you're reaching that conclusion, considering in my very first post I denounce the "gay" hypothesis and emphasize Kaworu's status as an inherently maternal figure. Image

You might be emphasizing Kaworu's role, but I didn't honestly see anything in that thread that said "Shinji is not gay. Period". I'll have to reread the thread sometime, but for now, that's my general impression - oh, and that by making Kaworu seem maternal, you also make him seem a bit homosexual as well (but naturally, that's just Kaworu). Image

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2006, 19:56 GMT

Mr. sickVisionz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. sickVisionz [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

I think Shinji is soft. He's a pu55y maybe (except when things come to a head he rips monsters apart with his hands). He's a coward at times. He cooks. He cleans. He tells people that he wants to be loved (as opposed to the manly thing of only sharing that with yourself). Shinji is very soft. Very effeminate. Is he gay though... I don't think so.

Dude obviously has a thing for women. Kaji was portrayed as being this super attractive James Dean-ish bad boy, but Shinji never really messed with him at all. Really, he was only nice to Karawou cuz he didn't reject him or bash him ever.

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2006, 08:24 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:Kaji was portrayed as being this super attractive James Dean-ish bad boy, but Shinji never really messed with him at all.

Once again, the best line ever is relevant:

Ryoji Kaji: So, can I buy you a drink? Cup o' tea?
Shinji Ikari: Kaji, I'm a boy.

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2006, 08:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Treize X wrote:You might be emphasizing Kaworu's role, but I didn't honestly see anything in that thread that said "Shinji is not gay. Period". I'll have to reread the thread sometime, but for now, that's my general impression - oh, and that by making Kaworu seem maternal, you also make him seem a bit homosexual as well (but naturally, that's just Kaworu). Image

^ I think you're drawing conclusions from what little of that thread I actually got around to producing that were not at all intended. Image

Kaworu having an inherently maternal nature seems as straightforward a matter as Rei having one -- unless you want to attempt to dissociate the kid from who he really represents. Image Also, what on Earth kind of associative relationship does maternity have to homosexuality? ... None at all.

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2006, 08:49 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Maternity = woman's role. Kaworu = boy. Maternal boy = gay. Image
I don't think that's true, certainly, but I can at least follow the process to that comclusion, in a sense.
Anyway, I think Rei's maternal connection to Shinji is a bit more... specific than Kaworu's could be, don't you think?

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2006, 08:56 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

LuigiHann wrote:Maternity = woman's role. Kaworu = boy. Maternal boy = gay. Image
I don't think that's true, certainly, but I can at least follow the process to that comclusion, in a sense.
Anyway, I think Rei's maternal connection to Shinji is a bit more... specific than Kaworu's could be, don't you think?

Thank you, you just saved me a few minutes.

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2006, 21:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

LuigiHann wrote:Maternity = woman's role. Kaworu = boy. Maternal boy = gay. Image

Image_

I think I was planning on using the word "surrogate" in that thread eventually. Image

That thread isn't really a priority or anything, though. I'll probably just poke at it here and there, and try to remain blissfully indifferent to anyone who thinks some kind of "punchline" is involved. Either that, or get out the chainsaw.

Or, for Treize X, my Needle Gun. Image

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2006, 21:23 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Yes. Needle guns make Treize happy. Very happy. They make Lord Zedd happy too.

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2006, 21:44 GMT

Gboz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gboz [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

True, but how does Shinji view Kaoru?

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2006, 23:05 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”