Is it true that some Japanese fans watched EVA and commited/

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

MagicianCamille wrote:...watching Evangelion leads to being Atheist...

I don’t see the connection between A and B...

Unless you were not being serious, it’s hard to tell considering you are rather vocal about your dislike of Eva, and its fans.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 01:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

MagicianCamille wrote:watching Evangelion leads to being Atheist, and being Atheist, leads to eternal burning.

I was an atheist long before Evangelion was even created.

And since Hell only exists for those who believe in it, the most that will happen to me post-mortem is that my biomass will be recycled. I may die, but my atoms will live on!!!

Honestly, think about religion from an objective viewpoint. Every religion (or nearly every) believes that their religion encompasses the one truth. Just because the proponents of some religions are louder than others, that doesn't make their faith any more likely to be true. Therefore, if one religion is "right", it's only fair that they are all "right" -- and is it really possible for all of these divinities and alternate dimensions (Heaven, Hell, Limbo, Nirvana, etc., etc.) and rules that govern our souls to exist at the same time? Sure, anything's possible, but I personally opt for the most parsimonious solution: A god only exists if there is someone to worship it.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 01:59 GMT

eXdriver [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eXdriver [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 am

If it is true, then I guess that there are all types of people out there that commit suicide for different reasons. In all seriousness only some messed up dude would do that just because of an anime, i mean there are so many things to do in your life other that take your life for a stupid reason like that.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 02:05 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 am

Reichu wrote:I was an atheist long before Evangelion was even created.

And since Hell only exists for those who believe in it, the most that will happen to me post-mortem is that my biomass will be recycled. I may die, but my atoms will live on!!!

Honestly, think about religion from an objective viewpoint. Every religion (or nearly every) believes that their religion encompasses the one truth. Just because the proponents of some religions are louder than others, that doesn't make their faith any more likely to be true. Therefore, if one religion is "right", it's only fair that they are all "right" -- and is it really possible for all of these divinities and alternate dimensions (Heaven, Hell, Limbo, Nirvana, etc., etc.) and rules that govern our souls to exist at the same time? Sure, anything's possible, but I personally opt for the most parsimonious solution: A god only exists if there is someone to worship it.

Image Well that's your belief, something I can't change, but that doesn't change the fact that the Christian religion does have a lot of proof, and explain something, if evolution is the correct theory, how was the organism we evolved from created? In order for something to exist it has to be created.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 02:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 am

MagicianCamille wrote:if evolution is the correct theory, how was the organism we evolved from created? In order for something to exist it has to be created.

Implying thus that any god has to be created, as well.

I don't think the universe works in a way in which things exist because they are "created" by something else. It's more a case, I think, of cause and effect, the exact mechanics of which are so beyond any human's brain to fully comprehend a lot of them just seem to give up and blame it on a divine entity they don't need to prove the existence of.

But, all things considered, that's perfectly fine. The real issue at hand here is how some people use their beliefs as a basis for attacking others.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 02:49 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 am

Reichu wrote:I A god only exists if there is someone to worship it.

Lain did put it best. I too was an Aetheist before I saw Eva. I grew up in a christian family but I didn't take to the religion.

MagicianCamille wrote:Well I must say I take huge offense to that post. There is a lot of evidence in Jesus and God's existence, read the bible, and look at the facts, you'll put it together, watching Evangelion leads to being Atheist, and being Atheist, leads to eternal burning.

A belief in a religion and its God is not supposed to be based on fact. Its supposed to mean that you will dedicate your life to something you cannot be sure of. That no matter what happens you will follow your God and saviour even though you can't prove his existence.

And whoever said written history was 100% true? Yeh there are records of Jesus' existence but at that time people didn't do things by the books and record everything to the letter. If Jesus did exist he preached a religion and did miracles and got people to follow it. But that doesn't neccessarily mean what he preached was true. People can do things if they have 100% belief in something with absolutley no doubt. The mind is a powerful thing. Thats what I believe.

It is possible that you christians made your religion and your god real simply by believing in it with such passion. But that doesn't mean I will go to your hell. Since I do not believe in that it doesn't exist for me.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 09:24 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 am

Reichu wrote:But every once in a while, you get a religion that has non-humanoid gods or worships everyday things AS gods.

I know, but the theory doesn't affirmate the necessecity of humanoid gods. I just couldn't think in some good redaction last time. But imagine something that avoids existencial limitations. Infinite, eternal, omnipowerful, more or less the idea of monotheism. Of course they'll always deny it wit the rethoric of "something that is eternal never beginned, as everything that begins has an end".

Personally, I don't really see how attributing some of life's unanswerables to divinities really simplifies anything. THEN you have to answer such annoying questions of where this supreme entity (or entities) came from, how they hell they got so powerful, and what their motives are.

But those are questions of 2nd or immediate causes, never of a prime or final one! That's just a step beyond, but you have already walked a step which is more than having no answer at all.

Meantime, I'm perfectly happy accepting my limitations as a human being and knowing that there are plenty of things I'll never understand.

But because the evil fruit was eaten now if you get a chance you'll try to explain them all.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 22:40 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”