Is it true that some Japanese fans watched EVA and commited/

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shuboltz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shuboltz [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

thelostyears wrote:My friend told me a few weeks ago. When he finished watching the end of eva. He was depressed for 4 weeks until he was back to himself again. It was scary. 4 weeks is a long time.

At the end, he realized it was only an anime.

just 4 weeks?

--------

if you have flcl dvd 1 (by SP), there's a commentary there and they've talked about the 2nd ep. FiSta which is kind of related to the event in U.S. where a guy murdered somebody coz he mistook the person for a game "dungeons and dragons".

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2003, 01:39 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

YukiEiri wrote:Pokemon may actually cause somebody to wanna shoot something, but it's not because "Satan uses cute pocket monsters to twist the minds of good people".

What a HUGE load of crap.

ImageImage I could understand why Pokemon might cause somebody to wana shoot something.

just 4 weeks?

About the same time as me.

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2003, 02:21 GMT

ranmachen [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ranmachen [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

"...I KNOW that satan use this evangelion series to mess with his mind and to confuse him in his faith."

0_o

God damn it's preople like that that make me HATE religions. I am not religious by the way..

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2003, 05:00 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

Same as meImage

Originally posted on: 22-Sep-2003, 01:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

Eh, might as well bump... This might interest a couple of the newbies. ;;>

There are few things more difficult for me to read than self-righteous Christians bashing anything and everything that strays from their perfect little worldview... While I'm well aware that not all Christians are as critical and closed-minded, this is the kind of stuff that has contributed to my inherent cynicism towards organized religion. Live your life by the code you choose, but automatically putting a stigma on any alternative belief systems is just a terrible way to operate, in my opinion. And in the case of something like NGE, which is not religiously motivated in the slightest, they are completely missing the point!

And besides, if one really has a strong enough convinction in one's own beliefs, why should it matter what "anti-Biblical" message these anime are or aren't conveying? Is "tolerance" a word in these peoples' vocabulary? I see things that I disagree with all the time, and I grumble about it here and there, but I don't go smacking people around with a large tome (figuratively speaking) and devoting my life to the vehement protestation of everything that goes against my own ideals. There are as many ways of thinking as there are people, and most people, fortunately, have the right to chose what makes the most sense to them. It just irritates me to hear, from ANY religion, that their way is the only "right" way -- spiritual egotism is such a very ugly thing.

"Heathen", me? Darn tootin'!

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 13:44 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

Furthermore I also maintain EVAngelion has some deep Lolita complex issues -

Well duh, its anime.

Reichu wrote:It just irritates me to hear, from ANY religion, that their way is the only "right" way

I agree, my way is the only right way.

Reichu wrote:-- spiritual egotism is such a very ugly thing.

What about the normal kind of egotism? Image

However I suggest you look into faith healing Reichu, it’s the only thing that can save you now.

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 14:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

tv33 wrote:I agree, my way is the only right way.

We're both wrong. Sammael's way is the only right way.

However I suggest you look into faith healing Reichu, it's the only thing that can save you now.

What the hell is "faith healing"? Is that kind of like "sexual healing"?

In any case, I'm quite beyond anyone's ability to "save". I was raised on Richard Elfman's "The Forbidden Zone", after all!

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 15:02 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:What the hell is "faith healing"?

You have never heard of faith healing?

Main Entry: faith healing
Function: noun
: a method of treating diseases by prayer and exercise of faith in God
- faith healer noun

At this point only God can save you from the cancerous tumor that has resulted from countless bumps of long dead threads.

Reichu wrote:Is that kind of like "sexual healing"?

I doubt its that much fun.

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 15:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:You have never heard of faith healing?

Main Entry: faith healing
Function: noun
: a method of treating diseases by prayer and exercise of faith in God
- faith healer noun

OHHHHH, duh, now I remember. How could I forget about faith healing when both "The Far Side" and "South Park" poke fun at it?

At this point only God can save you from the cancerous tumor that has resulted from countless bumps of long dead threads.

My spiritual allegience to Sammael and his minions has given me full immunity from Bumpigeal Cancer! It is only within your power to wish cancer upon me!

"What are you doing?"
"I'm wishing cancer upon you!"
"Cancer!?"
"In the head!"
"Head cancer!?"

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 16:16 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

It is darkness. It blinds [b]even clear thinking, Christian kids.

Stuff like this is what pisses me off about christians. Is she trying to say that since we aren't christian we are blind to the ways of the world and how our life is working? I hate the christian religion more than any other in the world. My best frined is christian and he thinks Im christian....I guess Ill have to break it to him some day...the hell blame it on Eva.

Man Scott is such a Dick isn't he?

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 23:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Keisuke-kun wrote:Stuff like this is what pisses me off about christians. Is she trying to say that since we aren't christian we are blind to the ways of the world and how our life is working?

Well, of course! We're heathens! We live lives of darkness and are doomed to burn eternally in Hell rather than bask forever in God's glory! Or something like that... It sounds like the sort of thing certain biased and parochial Christians might say.

I hate the christian religion more than any other in the world.

As Dr. Nick said earlier in this thread, "Don't hate the game, hate the players."

My best frined is christian and he thinks Im christian....I guess Ill have to break it to him some day...the hell blame it on Eva.

I assume you meant "then he'll"... Image

Personally, I think the more "sinful" (or, one might say, generally regrettable) years of my life occured BEFORE I watched NGE, thank you very much. Of course, this is almost entirely incidental, as I happened to watch NGE right as I was climbing out of that desparate abyss commonly known as "Adolescence".

It is possible that NGE has actually had some positive effects on me... For one thing, it has opened my eyes to how irritatingly complex social interactions really are, and is really makes me think every time I avoid eye contact with somebody just so I can get myself out of a potential conversation ("I'm running away! I'm just like Shinji!!"). Plus, I'm becoming increasingly convinced of the existence of the "A.T. Field", as some kind of abstract psychological principle at least. I can feel that weighty influence of that thing every damn day, especially now that I'm living at college and my personal space has become such a tenuous thing.

Going off on tangents is so much fun.

Man Scott is such a Dick isn't he?

You bet Celine Dion's illcit lovechild he is! (Don't worry, Shiin-seiki, we're not talking about you.)

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 23:54 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

One thing I'd like to say, probably off-topic, about the crossroads site. They're people who just can mantain cohesion inside their own society group by denouncing others. That so much seen practice of destroying everything but create nothing, so much like revolutionary marxism.

But nyways, my comment about crossroads's stupidity comes from the Utena article they wrote. They said something like "They make periodical calls to a Babilonian God = Herecy". What they probably mean is when in Utena you hear about the "Sword of Dios" or Dios no chikara. Well, I'm sorry to say but "Dios" is no babilonian god. Its the spanish word for "God".

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 03:02 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:As Dr. Nick said earlier in this thread, "Don't hate the game, hate the players."

Well in this case I don't hate the players. Christians are nice most of the time until they start talking about their religion. In my opinion all religions should be banned but I know that will just create havoc before it creates good. But eventually things will be better. WE MUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 20:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Keisuke-kun wrote:Well in this case I don't hate the players. Christians are nice most of the time until they start talking about their religion. In my opinion all religions should be banned but I know that will just create havoc before it creates good. But eventually things will be better.

Banning religions is a bit extreme... There are theories that human beings are innately hot-wired to be spiritual or religious creatures. And I suppose the facts that we're (A) self-aware, (B) mortal, and (C) frightened little animals when it comes down to it helps to explain why many people need to believe in some kind of higher force, for their own sense of personal security in a big, scary world. There, of course, is much more to it than that, and you have all of us non-religious heathens to account for... But I think, in the grand scheme of things, we're like a 10% minority, with the other 90% of the population believing in SOMEthing.

Also, believe it or not, there really are those who are genuinely better people because of their religion. Religion can inspire people to both wonderfully beneficit and horrifically destructive ends, and in that sense it's just like anything else with us humans (we are as capable of great evil as we are of great good). On the other hand, I'm personally of the philosophy that sound moral convictions and belief in (a) supreme being(s) need not go hand in hand; you can be a good person without believing that there is a god telling you to do so "or else".

WE MUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Speaking of which... It always does piss me off to see children who are essentially brainwashed into following the faith of one or both parents. I prefer the scenario where an adult discovers a religion of his or her own accord and deliberately chooses to follow it. In my perfect world, parents would raise their children in strong moral grounding without coercing them into following this god or that, as that would be the child's choice to make at the appropriate time.

But, then, this is coming from someone who was raised by heathenistic parents who gave my siblings and I the freedom to follow our parents' footsteps only if we desired. We didn't have to be vegetarians, but we all decided to carry on our parents' lifestyle. With regards to religion, my brother and I both decided that we wanted nothing to do with it, whereas my sister discovered one of those earth-based pagan faiths that so many "barbarians" were persecuted for in centuries past. (But, hey, Christians were themselves persecuted by pagans at one point, so it's just a matter of "what goes around comes around", right? Image )

Ultimately, I am open to the possibility that there is something out there that people have been worshipping as this god or the other, but my general feeling about divine beings is that, "If no one is around to worship you, do you really exist?"

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 12:47 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Speaking of which... It always does piss me off to see children who are essentially brainwashed into following the faith of one or both parents.

Reichu wrote:But, then, this is coming from someone who was raised by heathenistic parents...

Reichu wrote:"Heathen", me? Darn tootin'!

Brainwashed!

You only had the illusion of choice. Image

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 13:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:Brainwashed!

You only had the illusion of choice. Image

Well, when you look at it that way... Image

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 14:25 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

There's the theory that humans put the desire of suppresing their limitations in religion. That's why gods are the idea of ilimitated humans, inmortal, infinite, eternal, etc...

My own theory is that religions are the answers to some 'phylosophical' questions, like where did we come from, what is our destiny and use, etc... Its a supposed answer, because those are answers that science still hasn't got the grab of.

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 19:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

AchtungAffen wrote:There's the theory that humans put the desire of suppresing their limitations in religion. That's why gods are the idea of ilimitated humans, inmortal, infinite, eternal, etc..

But every once in a while, you get a religion that has non-humanoid gods or worships everyday things AS gods.

My own theory is that religions are the answers to some 'phylosophical' questions, like where did we come from, what is our destiny and use, etc... Its a supposed answer, because those are answers that science still hasn't got the grab of.

Personally, I don't really see how attributing some of life's unanswerables to divinities really simplifies anything. THEN you have to answer such annoying questions of where this supreme entity (or entities) came from, how they hell they got so powerful, and what their motives are. Of course, a lot of religious folks simply brush aside such valid inquiries and are content to repeat their mantra, "God has a plan..." (or something along those lines).

Meantime, I'm perfectly happy accepting my limitations as a human being and knowing that there are plenty of things I'll never understand.

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 19:53 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

At one point in history I believe religion was necessary to motivate people and helo them reach this point in time. However these days its kinda unecesssary. I mean reliogion was the cause of 9/11. Religion is why Alchida exists. Religion (christianity) is why many people don't like teh US (cause they hate christians). Religion is the cause of the war over the Holy city (Jeruselem I think).

Of course if religion is banned mass anarchy will break out....so its best to leave things as is. Its not like we can do anything. No matter what happens. Even if we somehow scientifically prove god doesn't exist people will still believe in god. Even if we prove the evolution of humans people will still deny it. And if aliens (The Marvlar) arive christians will build missionary's on their planet and try to convert them (remember: Reading the bible and accepting god means food)

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 01:21 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am

Keisuke-kun wrote:At one point in history I believe religion was necessary to motivate people and helo them reach this point in time. However these days its kinda unecesssary. I mean reliogion was the cause of 9/11. Religion is why Alchida exists. Religion (christianity) is why many people don't like teh US (cause they hate christians). Religion is the cause of the war over the Holy city (Jeruselem I think).

Of course if religion is banned mass anarchy will break out....so its best to leave things as is. Its not like we can do anything. No matter what happens. Even if we somehow scientifically prove god doesn't exist people will still believe in god. Even if we prove the evolution of humans people will still deny it. And if aliens (The Marvlar) arive christians will build missionary's on their planet and try to convert them (remember: Reading the bible and accepting god means food)

Well I must say I take huge offense to that post. There is a lot of evidence in Jesus and God's existence, read the bible, and look at the facts, you'll put it together, watching Evangelion leads to being Atheist, and being Atheist, leads to eternal burning.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 01:26 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”