Berserker's power source?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:02 am

Reichu wrote:Well, I don't see how you can deny the fact that he DOES do "whatever he wants". This is his world; he makes up the rules. This is true with plenty of types of fiction, as relatively little fiction adheres to the rules of reality (because that would just be boring). Part of what we do by immersing ourselves into these worlds is observe how they work -- how they are the same as our own, how they are different, etc. If a fictional world is carefully, deliberately constructed, it will (generally speaking) adhere to its own rules and function within the diameters set by the story.

All right Image . I'll agree to this (bolded section). And what I'll set out to argue is that in the case of the soul issue, Anno doesn't make up rules about the soul being able to be in multiple places at once (and, on the same token, as for evidence that he does, should people feel that this is in fact the case).

But a lot of that discussion can take place in the Rei thread (which, since I guess it's there, I should try to start piecing together my Defense of Rei ... *opens up WordPad to start a document* O, woe to the hours that these deed will eat up — but necessary it is to justify Rei's existence and thereby justifying existence of all life [that sounds grandiose, don't it Image Image ]).

Originally posted on: 15-Nov-2004, 23:46 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:02 am

What Anno said was like 1+1=1, but our point was that it was HIS idea in HIS work of fiction. YES he is probably using the term "soul" in the wrong way, but all I claim was that it was how he used the darn term. And you are trying to argue against that by putting words in our mouth as if we claimed that Anno was right. Just because what he tried to portray is wrong doesn't mean that he didn't try.

ok there might have been some misunderstanding cause I have no idea what the one soul in two location theory is all about and you were refuting that...

But anyhow, what I claimed was that souls in evas can be controled and studied through materialistic teachings like "physics", since Yui's soul was replaced from one body to another through scientific experiment.

And you replied that since that deviates too far from concept of soul, that can't be true, and I said it does differ a lot but that's how it was defined in NGE. Then you gave the whole explanation about how because it differs so much taht it can't be "soul" anymore for quite a while. Then I never really got a feed back about my stance that is quoted above.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2004, 01:30 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:02 am

Gaizokubanou wrote:But anyhow, what I claimed was that souls in evas can be controled and studied through materialistic teachings like "physics", since Yui's soul was replaced from one body to another through scientific experiment.

And you replied that since that deviates too far from concept of soul, that can't be true, and I said it does differ a lot but that's how it was defined in NGE. Then you gave the whole explanation about how because it differs so much taht it can't be "soul" anymore for quite a while. Then I never really got a feed back about my stance that is quoted above.

There definitely was a misunderstanding.

I indeed am arguing against the "soul in two (or more) places" theory, and not against the fact that there can be *some* physical manipulation of the soul (in regards to what body it animates).

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2004, 01:55 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”